Aurora 88 and Archivi Storici 022

Blade Runner

Is the Archivi Storici 022 a reissue of the vintage 88 made from nos parts?

I recently received an 88P and their dimensions look the same to me.

Both great pens!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/jelb/PENS/IMG_6905.jpg

The 022 has the silvery cap.

Thanks,

Jeen

Edited by jeen

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eric47

• Blade Runner

• diplomat

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the Archivi Storici 022 a reissue of the vintage 88 made from nos parts?

I recently received an 88P and their dimensions look the same to me.

Both great pens!

The 022 has the silvery cap.

Thanks,

Jeen

Yes,

Info about the "Historical Archives" at Aurora's site seems to be only in the form of a press release: http://www.aurorapen.it/pressroom.php?lang...;subpage_id=219

As the story goes Aurora found the unassembled parts. They were of sufficient quantities, that they decided to assemble them, design a new fancy box for them, and sell them (albeit not at the original prices ;-)). According to the press release the parts are from the 50s.

I have the same 022, I figured it was a way to get a vintage Aurora without the worries of a vintage pen. That said, mine leaked right at the silver collar. I didn't realize that even the piston fillers (like the C/C versions) are threaded at that point. My local shop is going to try sticking some sealant on the threads, in the hopes it solves the problem without a trip back to Aurora.

I wrote with it for half a day, a great pen.

Edited by eric47

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

Thanks ERic,

I thought someone had said the 022 was a reissue of the 98. I don't have a 98 to compare, but as I said, the 022 looks identiical to the vintage 88.

I hope your pen gets fixed locally. Otherwise I'm sure Kenro can assist you.

Edited by jeen

Thanks ERic,

I thought someone had said the 022 was a reissue of the 98. I don't have a 98 to compare, but as I said, the 022 looks identiical to the vintage 88.

I hope your pen gets fixed locally. Otherwise I'm sure Kenro can assist you.

Hi jeen,

My bad, I didn't read your question properly as specific about NOS 88P, rather than just NOS Aurora parts. I was only trying to answer the latter; so please don't consider my response as an affirmative to NOS 88P. I'm certainly not an expert in Aurora to make the call between an 88P and a 98.

I think the post you were referring to was by diplomat in the thread here.

Edit:

I found another really great post by diplomat here where he summarize the 88/98 lineage. Of the 98 he says:

"It [98] was available a different piston filling mechanism than the 88: the bottom of the pen was like a push button: depress the bottom of the barrel to reveal the filler mechanism, depress a second time to lock it back into place. No turning knob, no silver ring at the bottom."

That doesn't sound like my Archivi Storici 022 at all, which has a straight-forward classic knob-controller piston mechanism. That said, I'm not sure if diplomat was referring to all 98s or just some 98s.

I found another photo here where the matte finish of barrel and cap of the 88P (the one on top in the 88P photo) are dead ringers for the 022 -- it's just the cap is gold on the 88P not chrome as on the 022.

I hope diplomat or Sanpei stop by, those two really know the vintage Auroras.

Edited by eric47

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

Ciao a tutti.

My best answer would be:

All the Archivi Storici but the 022 are based on the A98 model (novelli pics). The 022 is based on some late brushed 88P. This model appeared late in the production of the 88P and possibly lasted for a short period of time. This brushed version got some different cap which is transitional to the 98 model.

Please someone correct me if possible. The above statements are based more on visual analysis than on direct knowledge.

Jeen, thank you for the nice pic and congratulations: you have excellent tastes. :happyberet:

Best,

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

Ciao a tutti.

My best answer would be:

All the Archivi Storici but the 022 are based on the A98 model (novelli pics). The 022 is based on some late brushed 88P. This model appeared late in the production of the 88P and possibly lasted for a short period of time. This brushed version got some different cap which is transitional to the 98 model.

Please someone correct me if possible. The above statements are based more on visual analysis than on direct knowledge.

Jeen, thank you for the nice pic and congratulations: you have excellent tastes. :happyberet:

Best,

Ciao diplomat,

Grazie mille! There are some other photos at Giardino, where you can see the back-end and piston knob separated by chrome. That help with the analysis?

All the better if it's an 88P, that way I don't have to go vintage and buy one of those. It was fantastic writing with it for the mere 4 hours I did...before it started leaking.

Ciao diplomat,

Grazie mille! There are some other photos at Giardino, where you can see the back-end and piston knob separated by chrome. That help with the analysis?

Ehi! :)

Yes, those are better photos. They pretty much confirm what I think. I wonder if the lack of black laquer on clip is made intentionally... Originally on the brushed models that meant the cheaper "Internazionale" rather than the 98.

All the better if it's an 88P, that way I don't have to go vintage and buy one of those. It was fantastic writing with it for the mere 4 hours I did...before it started leaking.

Unlucky! but that can be fixed, don't give up. They are fantastic user pens.

Ciao,

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

Ciao diplomat,

Ehi! :)

Yes, those are better photos. They pretty much confirm what I think. I wonder if the lack of black laquer on clip is made intentionally... Originally on the brushed models that meant the cheaper "Internazionale" rather than the 98.

Unlucky! but that can be fixed, don't give up. They are fantastic user pens.

Ciao,

My local shop is going to try. If not it's back to Torino. I was having a wonderful time with the 022.

I only have two other Auroras: (1) Sole Minima, which is one of my favorite pens, (2) Optima Demonstrator, which at times I want to throw across the room. The nib on that was is terribly stiff and writes a bit dry. I know the nib needs some (serious) adjustment. 2 out of 3 isn't bad out of the box.

Opps! Duplicate.

Edited by eric47