most expensive pen?

Just for fun, I'd like to know what the most expensive fountain pen youv'e ever see is. If possible please list pen name, price, where you can actualy purchase the pen, and what you thought of it.

Have fun :thumbup:

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Susanna

• Deirdre

• lapis

• Silvermink

Seen in person? The most expensive fountain pen I've ever heard of is the Caran d'Ache La Modernista Diamonds, which sold at Harrod's for $265,000.

I think it's kind of homely, personally. :)

The most expensive pen I've ever seen or handled in person would probably be a Waterman Serenite (~$1000) - I'm sure others have much-better tales than that. The Serenite is pretty nice - the curved body is definitely cool - but I wouldn't pay $1000 for it.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Seen in person? The most expensive fountain pen I've ever heard of is the Caran d'Ache La Modernista Diamonds, which sold at Harrod's for $265,000.

WHAT!!!!! :yikes: how could you ever even write with a pen that expensive, I'd be so paraniod of dropping it or somthing like that.

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

A very high priced Montblanc at the Duty Free store in Munich today. Thanks, but no Thanks!

Blackranger

"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff."

Actually, while looking at an article on the CdA pen, I came across something about the Montblanc/Van Cleef & Arpel Mystery Masterpiece, at $730,000. I'm going to guess that probably doesn't see much service as a daily user. :)

It's pretty bizarre-looking and doesn't appeal to me. I guess I'll take my $730,000 elsewhere! :D

Edited by Silvermink

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

The newly opened Bittner in Waikiki had a bunch of high-end pens. I got to look at and handle these David Oscarson pens -- around $4,000 or $4,500 if memory serves. Very nice pens with great detail work. I don't know if I'd get one myself even if I could afford one, but if I won a sweepstakes I'd probably get some to give away.

http://www.worldlux.com/products/davidoscarson/_pens/celestialcollectionle/fullsize2.jpg

(photo from WorldLux.com's David Oscarson page)

Doug

I agree with one of the previous replies, the Mont Blanc/Van Cleef looks most bizarre...

I once read somewhere that Michael Schumacher commisioned Mont Blanc to design a fountain pen that he then gave as a present to Jean Todt.

So that would be an LE of 1. Has anybody ever heard of this pen or seen pics of it?

Lizzie

Solid platinum Montblancs at KDW in Berlin a few years ago. I think they cost roughly 10 000 Euro a piece. Quite nice-looking pens!

Held in my hands? A $15k maki-e pen at Bittner. (of course it would be Bittner)

Edited by Deirdre

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

The two pens of my avatar are Montegrappa Blue Nile and the Red Sea. When the Blue Nile came out, I believe it was around $15-20k and came in a pyramid storage case/box. There was a Conopic Jar styled accessory ink well you could purchase. The popularity brought out the Red Sea, which you could only buy if you had purchased the Blue Nile. The Red Sea was somewhere around $30k. Detlif Bittner had them available at the Chicago Pen Show the year after they had come out and I got to hold each of them in my hot little hands. I am a big fan of Egyptology and wanted them badly, but I wasn't willing to re-mortgage the house for them!

There's still a $38k ivory, gold and diamond Taj Mahal [Visconti] up on fleabay. One of an edition of 18.

S.T Dupont Orpheo This is not only expensive but ugly, too. $33,800 for that?

Link doesn't work =( but I'll take your word for it.

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.

Begun, the Spam Wars Have.

How to Be a Perfect Lady: according to the media - a satire

The Adventures of Chewie

The nicest most beautiful and expensive pens that I would really buy if money were no object have been:

Serenite D'Art Collection of 4 pens: Air, Water, Fire and Earth at Paradise Pens in Oakbrook IL

David Oscarson Celestial Collection LE at Fahrney's in Washington DC

Namiki Emperor Rabbits in Moonlight and Carp on Waterfall at the Chicago Pen Show

Classic Pens Tahitian Maiden, Dolphins, Honeybees, etc at the Chicago Pen Show

Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

The two pens of my avatar are Montegrappa Blue Nile and the Red Sea. When the Blue Nile came out, I believe it was around $15-20k and came in a pyramid storage case/box. There was a Conopic Jar styled accessory ink well you could purchase. The popularity brought out the Red Sea, which you could only buy if you had purchased the Blue Nile. The Red Sea was somewhere around $30k. Detlif Bittner had them available at the Chicago Pen Show the year after they had come out and I got to hold each of them in my hot little hands. I am a big fan of Egyptology and wanted them badly, but I wasn't willing to re-mortgage the house for them!

Okay, then that may be the most expensive pen I've held, as I've held both the silver and gold versions of the Blue Nile.

I love the canopic jar ink accessory!

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

The two most expensive I've acually handled (both in the $5-6,000 (Australian) vicinity) were:

Mont Blanc Sir Henry Tate- pleasantly wightly butI don't find modern MB nibs to my personal taste. Beautiful looking enamel work etc though:

http://www.montblanc.com/media/edition/henry_tate_H_01.jpg

Parker 'Ascension' Golden Jubuilee Duofold. Impossibly heavy solid 18k duofold, like writing with a tent peg (and I say that as one who likes weighty pens). Looks impressive though:

http://www.penbox.co.uk/images/par106.14.jpg

Both fall under the heading of fun to try but not to use, and to me exemplify the reasons why I don't normally buy Limited editions, unless I can't resist them that is-for instance a Visconti Opera Master Demo of my acquiantance is probably the most expensive pen I ever actually bought:

http://www.giardino.it/pens/visconti/IMMAGINI/OperaMasterDemo.jpg

Practically perfect!

Through the jewelry glass, I saw a diamond-encrusted Mont Blanc in their boutique in Maui that was running for somewhere between 10k and 20k (I forget the exact price, but I think it may have been about 16k).

If it's heard of that you want, this is it for me as well.

If it's seen in person, then it's the Pelikan Temple of Artemis/ approx $3900US.

Edited by HerosNSuch

"If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith."

-Albert Einstein

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

BP/Pencil set trade

That I've seen? 888 Edition MB Patron of Art. Art their price point, you will indeed be a Patron after buying one...

Montblanc 145, F nib
Faber Castell E-Motion in Pearwood, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib
Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618, S nib
Montblanc Cool Blue Starwalker, EF nib
Montblanc Solitaire Silver Barley BP
Montblanc Rouge et Noir Coral, M nib

The two pens of my avatar are Montegrappa Blue Nile and the Red Sea. When the Blue Nile came out, I believe it was around $15-20k.... The Red Sea was somewhere around $30k..... I am a big fan of Egyptology and wanted them badly, but I wasn't willing to re-mortgage the house for them!

Aw, c'mon, you're kidding. My store offers them separately for only 8,888.00 Euros (each).

Nigel

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)