Flourishing Examples

Flourish and Blotts

Just for fun, here is my scribbling from last night. I have to start somewhere. I have the book, The Universal Penman, that has elaborate flourishes in it - far too complex to imitate, but gives some ideas.

Karen

post-21224-1231780849_thumb.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/51/166782921_39063dcf65_t.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jbb

• Flourish and Blotts

• vidalia11

• Wwillco

Cool! Gives me some examples to imitate for line control & variation (in trying to use the 'shoulder -vs- fingers' approach)

Thanks for posting.

Time to log off now & go practice practice practice!

thx

--Bruce

Not the dreaded shoulder writing :roflmho:

I keep practicing and want to find new variations plus some more figurative forms.

Imitation is sincerest form of flattery as they say.

Thanks for giving me some more examples to try to follow.

Believe am starting to understand the basic mechanics here. It must be a two step process. If I want a thick 'tail' for a 'y' or clockwise flourish-- not going to happen. I've got to go counter-clockwise so I'm going 'with' nib and not up against its tip.

Does that make any sense?

Cool! Gives me some examples to imitate for line control & variation (in trying to use the 'shoulder -vs- fingers' approach)

Not the dreaded shoulder writing :roflmho:

'Shoulder Approach' Glutton for punishment? :bonk:

Seriously though, I think it has helped but for flourishes I still 'cheat' & find myself using fingers. Mind is concentrating on design, not staying in tune with what muscles are doing.

--Bruce

Imitation is sincerest form of flattery as they say.

Thanks for giving me some more examples to try to follow.

Believe am starting to understand the basic mechanics here. It must be a two step process. If I want a thick 'tail' for a 'y' or clockwise flourish-- not going to happen. I've got to go counter-clockwise so I'm going 'with' nib and not up against its tip.

Does that make any sense?

--Bruce

Basically you're pressing down on the nib for a thick line and lightening up for a thin line. I don't think you have to go counter-clockwise...unless you live in Australia. :blink: Are you left-handed? :blink:

Just for fun, here is my scribbling from last night. I have to start somewhere. I have the book, The Universal Penman, that has elaborate flourishes in it - far too complex to imitate, but gives some ideas.

Karen

post-21224-1231780849_thumb.jpg

Nice work.

I like the little flower buds that you have bundled in the little corkscrew thingy. I'm definitely stealing that little trick. And there are a few more patterns there that catch my eye. Thanks for posting.

Nice work.

I like the little flower buds that you have bundled in the little corkscrew thingy. I'm definitely stealing that little trick. And there are a few more patterns there that catch my eye. Thanks for posting.

Thanks! Guess what - the corkscrew thing was copied from this person's flickr pictures of her calligraphy. http://www.flickr.com/photos/carmelscribe/

She goes by the name carmelscribe. Lots of stuff to copy there.

Karen

Edited by vidalia11
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/51/166782921_39063dcf65_t.jpg