Small, Thin Fountain Pen

jdboucher

My choice for a slim pen would be a locally made Leader Celluloid Eyderopper pen. Other slim pens that I have enjoyed using are the Sheaffer Fashion-I(slim model), TRZ, Slim Targa and the wonderful Pilot Birdie.

Best,

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Blade Runner

• I am not a number

• DeaconKC

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I use the very, very, petite Parker 17 Lady. The pen is 107mm (4.25") long uncapped and 9.5mm (3/8") diameter at its widest. It's barely longer than my middle finger, and less than half its diameter..

The pen comes with fine, medium or broad nibs and is a really nice pen once properly smoothed. It's really incongruous to have a broad nib in such a tiny pen..

Regards

Richard.

I don't understand the requirement for fat thick pens ~ no one had the choice of fat feather quills & they all seemed to cope

Same with pencils ~ don't see many insisting on a fat pencil to write with

I can understand length though

If you want slim & long try the Lamy Linea or Reform 1745

If you want slimmish & short try the Sheaffer Junior balance or the Estie SJ

Pelikan M300 (as mentioned) or an M320.

Aurora Optima Mini is 2-3 mm longer and a bit fatter but only in the middle of the barrel.

A Crest is about as thin, but has of course a more "normal" length.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

If you can find one, the Parker 180 might fit the bill, not only do you get a slim pen, but you get a nib with two widths, typically Medium/Fine or Fine/XFine.

As above but also the Parker Classic, if you want slim and short the Pilot Birdie is very good value. The Reforms 1745s are also very good, slim piston-fillers and slim Sheaffers or a Cross Century I would also meet the requirement. The Decimo is slimmer than a standard VP and there are a host of pens from makers like Hero. There is a lot of choice out there.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

The Parker Rialto is a really smooth writer, and it's quite long if posted (I always do that with that pen). I like it a lot.

Best, Achim.

I will vote for the Cross Century II; very skinny with a sublime nib which is guaranteed to work right out of the box.

MM

@leoniethomas18

I am really looking forward to my Century II arriving now...

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

+1 on the Reform 1745. It's very svelte but still has a nice piston filler.

Edited by Silvermink

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

While I usually write with something a bit thicker (Namiki Impressions, Aurora Optima, oversize Sheaffer Flat Top), my three favorite thin pens are:

Hero 616

Waterman CF

Hero 329

In fact, I was writing with all three of them yesterday and this morning.

If you can find one, the Parker 180 might fit the bill, not only do you get a slim pen, but you get a nib with two widths, typically Medium/Fine or Fine/XFine.

Agree on the 180. mine stays in my Filofax because of the f/xf nib. Come to think of it, it's my only pen that stays inked. All others rotate. :hmm1:

Best Regards,

Ray

"Everything must be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler" - Albert Einstein

Pilot Birdie fits that bill. Great writing pen and in the 10-20 dollar range

sorry for the picture quality its off my phone

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm99/jay23_90/DSC00218.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I love my thick, big fountain pens, but sometimes there not always practical. What thin, small fountain pen do you recommend (smaller than the M200 for reference).

Sailor Recruit fountain pen ($9.51 from Ujuku)

Another one for Reform 1745

Mine is always in my pocket, not too slim, so its very comfortable to use...and I prefer thicker pens.

The piston filler is great, but being small, the capacity is compromised.

cheers,

Milo

They don't come much smaller or thinner than a Wahl ringtop. I bought one recently out of interest and I'm delighted with it. It's tiny when closed up and just right when it's open and with the cap posted. It has a beautiful nib, too. What's not to like?!