Steel Nib Corrosion

hari317

This pen was left filled (blue black ink) and forgotten for I don't know how many years. When I managed to get the feed and nib out, this is what I found after cleaning.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/Pilot%2057/IMG_2486.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/Pilot%2057/IMG_2487.jpg

The remarkable fact is that despite all this the nib is still stiff and functioning well.

Cheers,

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• Dillo

• SMG

• Aysedasi

Top Posters In This Topic

What was the ink?????!!!!! :yikes:

No idea, the ink washed out blue black, The ink has caked so badly that the fins on the feed were not distinguishable, had to be mechanically picked clean.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I've gotten a few Parker 21's with nibs so corroded the tines broke off when I tested the nib. I would assume in that case it was Superchrome ink (they were all Mk Is).

Peter

Hi,

Those older Pilot Super Quality nibs often do that.

BTW, what if we move this down to the Japanese pen forum so that everyone can see? Someone was asking about the Super Quality Pilot nibs.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Putting in my 2 cents (only worth a penny on today's market) about corrosion on nibs: Following the principle among textile people (my other hobby) that ordinary tap water is harmful to everything, over the long haul, because it contains chlorine....I have always worried that rinsing gold (or anything other than stainless steel) in tap water would leave behind a bleach residue that would be harmful over the years. As a result, I superstitiously rinse all nibs, when I get done washing in tap water, in clear, distilled water. I have no results to report, however. Do the same with all rubber sacs if tap water has touched them.

I use Quink in my Waterman with no issues. Of course, it's a relatively new pen at least than three years old, and it gets properly cleaned and used every day. I go through about one refill of ink with the plunger adapter every day to two days. :D

I see other people mentioning Noodler's. Do you know if that's a better ink for the overall life of a pen than Quink?

There is some controversy over whether it is a better ink or not. It has some special ingredients that no other manufacturer uses, and this is only part of the reason why some people are reluctant to use it. Chartpak and a number of others do not recommend it for various reasons that they have mentioned in the past.

Don't expect an answer from me straight off about what I think about it and my usage experience. (No one asked anyway, but still. :mellow: ) If you want it, PM.

I'd just say, as always, use it at your own risk. Your individual experience will vary.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

I use Quink in my Waterman with no issues. Of course, it's a relatively new pen at least than three years old, and it gets properly cleaned and used every day. I go through about one refill of ink with the plunger adapter every day to two days. :D

Hi, if your Waterman has a solid gold nib, then no need to worry about corrosion, Quink should be perfectly safe as it has very less tendency to clog the feed in my experience.

• 6 years later...

Once the nib becomes corroded, can anything get the corrosion off? I've used nib cleaners sol commercially, but the don't get it all. Thx for any advice.