Handwritten Business Script

caliken

I recall working for a person who graduated from a business school that required proficiency in Business Script.

I have not heard of it being a business school requirement for decades...........

Now days I don't think the press will call anything a "business school" unless it is attached to a four year college. Four year colleges in the U.S. seem to be too snooty to teach something like Business Script.

YMMV

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caliken

• HDoug

• MicheleB

• ToughHouseRook

But when I use Peterson script my handwriting looks like an eight year old's. I have practiced, but to little avail. Hence my love of Italic script which helps my handwriting look all grown up.

Ditto! :lol:

Doug

ken how long did you take to write that? normally i write using mainly cursive letterforms with an italic nib.

It took about 15 mins - I don't write very fast!

caliken

I was wondering, where would a calligrapher use business script? It seems a little too practical for wedding invitations and the sort. It's a beautiful script though, a big improvement over the Zaner-Bloser that I learned in grade school. It looks like it'd be a good gateway script towards Spencerian.

I recall working for a person who graduated from a business school that required proficiency in Business Script.

I have not heard of it being a business school requirement for decades...........

Now days I don't think the press will call anything a "business school" unless it is attached to a four year college. Four year colleges in the U.S. seem to be too snooty to teach something like Business Script.

"Business school" is an MBA program, post college.

A few points:

• Handwriting is suppose to be learned in grade school
  • Why focus on handwriting when there are a lot of math concepts and models to learn?
  • My last job was at a bank and everything was typed and printed and everything in color was sent to the feiry printers in the print room. There is no need for good penmanship when everything is in softcopy instead of hardcopy. The point of the computer revolution is supposed to be that less time for tedious tasks means more time for intellectual tasks.

Writing instruments of the moment:

• Pilot Prera Fountain Pen in Vivid Pink XF (Levenger ink, Pinkly).
  • Uniball α-Gel Slim Pencil in Pink (0.3mm leads).
  • Pilot 742 Fountain Pen in Black with Falcon (flex) Nib, (Pilot ink, Black).
  • Nikko G Nib in the penholder.

I've been using J. J. Baily as a template to practice with. You can find it over at IAMPETH -

http://www.iampeth.com/lessons/practical_p...iley_index.html

Seemed more pedestrain than the gorgeous Business Script example that Caliken provides, somehow less intimidating .....

That said I think the Baily is a bit more feminine that what I am after so I will be using this example for future practice going forward.

How will we ever be able to adequately express our gratitude for all that Caliken has done and continues to do for this community?

I really like this handwriting. Is there a name for the lower case "r" in this script? My father - who was born in 1916 - writes "r" this way. Lower case "t" - when it's the last letter in a word is similar to the "r". Very interesting.

Judybug

So many pens, so little time!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

My Blog: Bywater Wisdom

"Business school" is an MBA program, post college.

They are now, they were not at one time.

The M.B.A. is only in the neighborhood of a hundred years old. (And still held in some contempt by University people with "real" degrees.)

YMMV

Judybug :

As far as I know, this type of "r" has no specific name.

Although I didn't use it here, I too, like the lower case "t" which looks a bit like an "r"

Spencerian script and the unshaded Business script are largely unknown and unseen ouside the USA, and as such an outsider, looking at it with fresh eyes, I can perhaps better appreciate its beauty and many subtleties than those who remember it, or its derivatives, from schooldays.

I, personally, would have no hesitation in using it as an alternative to italic, in an important document. I'm sure that it would look just as good and just as imposing.

Other than the fact that they are both written with a nib capable of producing shaded strokes, Spencerian and Copperplate are totally different in every respect - they even feel different under the hand.

Platt Rogers Spencer succeeded in producing an entirely original (and beautiful) script as recently as the early 1800s - no mean achievement! IMHO it takes its place alongside the great scripts of the past - Uncial, Italic, Blackletter, Copperplate style etc.

Caliken

Edited by caliken

I think Pendemonium carries books of instruction for this hand, for those desperate to learn it "properly". I say "I think" because just at the moment I'm getting nothing but a white screen trying to call up Pendemonium.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

I think Pendemonium carries books of instruction for this hand, for those desperate to learn it "properly". I say "I think" because just at the moment I'm getting nothing but a white screen trying to call up Pendemonium.

For those looking for instruction, "Learning to write Spencerian Script" by Michael Sull covers it all, in detail and in great depth, whilst there are many fine examples on the IAMPETH site under "lessons".

Caliken

Caliken,

:notworthy1:

As usual I am very impressed and inspired by your work. One of the great parts of my job is giving out awards for length service in the govt. and I always try to write a handwritten note and personalize it since usually all that happens is a form letter and a pin placed on your desk. My folks really appreciate that personal touch of a note and I figure I can spend 15 minutes writing a note for their 10, 20, 30 years of civil service. I think this handwriting would be perfect for that use and I will practice it there.

Previously you said it could be personalized and I think that would be appropriate in my case. Can you show me what you mean by that? Any other script suggestions you think might be more appropriate I am all ears/eyes. A letter chart would also be great if you have one handy - it's not something I do everyday, but once a month. Your advice is appreciated. Thanks - Michele

We can trust the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. - Immanual Kant

MicheleB :

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for - but off the top of my head, here are a couple of small things which I feel remove the lettering from its "normal" appearance and perhaps, add a personal touch. I omitted the upper loop from the letter "f". I quite like this effect and continued by removing all upper loops and leaving all lower ones. This lettering is not as sloped as Spencerian business script, which creates another difference. It's possible to go on almost indefinitely making minor alterations, but I think that this is enough to be going on with. If you compare it with the original writing, I think that you'll see the difference - not better, I hasten to add - just different. Of course, in normal writing these personal differences occur naturally over time, whereas I have deliberately created slight variations.

I hope that this has been of some help!

caliken

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/Messianmessianmessian.jpg

Edited by caliken

MicheleB :

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for - but off the top of my head, here are a couple of small things which I feel remove the lettering from its "normal" appearance and perhaps, add a personal touch. I omitted the upper loop from the letter "f". I quite like this effect and continued by removing all upper loops and leaving all lower ones. This lettering is not as sloped as Spencerian business script, which creates another difference. It's possible to go on almost indefinitely making minor alterations, but I think that this is enough to be going on with. If you compare it with the original writing, I think that you'll see the difference - not better, I hasten to add - just different. Of course, in normal writing these personal differences occur naturally over time, whereas I have deliberately created slight variations.

I hope that this has been of some help!

caliken

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/Messianmessianmessian.jpg

OK I get it now. Looks great both ways, but I am more partial to the more formal style. We'll see what comes out! Thanks.

We can trust the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. - Immanual Kant

• 4 weeks later...

*Speechless*

Where did you learn this?

MORE!!!!!

http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x180/Wapo_Gipo_Frogs88/Boingies/More%20Boingies/th_thsau222jpg.gif

• 11 months later...

Caliken, your business hand is lovely! It's a joy to look at.

May you have pens you enjoy, with plenty of paper and ink. :)

Please use only my FPN name "Gran" in your posts. Thanks very much!

If you look at any exemplar of this style, you'll find that they are invariably written with a fine nib - I think they look a bit more elegant that way. However, you can, of course, use a wider nib but the effect won't be quite the same IMO.

caliken

Caliken

I looked at your website and noticed you have a DVD. Would one need stub or italic nibs or are (most) of your samples on the DVD with round fine nibs?

Thanks

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb238/lmederos/logos/luissignatureicon.gif

-- Luis

I looked at your website and noticed you have a DVD. Would one need stub or italic nibs or are (most) of your samples on the DVD with round fine nibs?

Jim,

The nibs used on the DVD Examples were as follows :-

Formal Italic - Manuscript pen with a B square-edged nib

Gothic Blackletter - Manuscript pen with a 3B square-edged nib

Cursive Italic - Manuscript pen with a B square-edged nib

Foundational Script - Manuscript pen with a 2B square-edged nib

Half-Uncial Script - Manuscript pen with a 2B square-edged nib

Copperplate Script - Oblique penholder with a Leonardt Principal EF nib

Thanks for your interest

Ken

Ken,

Your handwriting samples are like fine pieces of art ... gorgeous to admire and a great inspiration to us students of calligraphy. Thanks for sharing your calligraphy samples and for your kindred spirit sharing your in-depth knowledge of calligraphy on thir forum.

Back when I started roaming on this board, your written samples, Antoniosz, LeighReyes, and many others delighted me so much that I kept coming back. Years have past and I contoinue to admire your great writing skills.

Your friend,

Mauricio

Edited by Mauricio

Tu Amigo!

Mauricio Aguilar

www.VintagePen.net

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3525/4051556482_36f28f0902_m.jpg

E-Mail: VintagePen@att.net

Somehow, I don't seem to be able to get into the Business Handwriting style. Instead of nice and straight, my letters all have crooks in them.

Thank you all very much for your interest and kind comments.

Randal :

When I first attempted Business Writing, it took me a long time to grasp the fundamentals. I had no instruction books at the time, and did it all by studying a few written examples.

There are a couple of points which were important in helping me to understand this foreign (to a European) letter form, and I have tried to explain this on a new topic which I will be posting soon - "Spencerian Appreciation".

Thanks for the motivation.

Ken

Edited by caliken