Waterman Hemisphere (in fine point) Review

dogpoet

I have two Hemispheres and my only real complaint is that the finish of the pen gets scratched very easily, especially the Mars black GT which is the only pen in my collection that i just can't stand using since it's just become too plain ugly. I used the pen as my everyday pen for about a month or two and what I recall I haven't been careless in treating the pen (I'm never careless to pens, they are my babies :lol: ). My second Hemisphere (which I bought because I loved the writing of the model) is a Green CT and it's very beautiful though there are quite a few light scratches to the surface of this pen too, they just aren't nearly as pronounced as on the Mars black.

Currently in rotation: FPN LE Stipula Passaporto CT Italic nib, FPN LE Modello-T T-flex nib, Stipula New 22 ForgetMeNot Blue T-flex nib, Lamy 2000 EF nib, Lamy Al-Star Blue F nib, Pilot Capless Blue Carbonesque M nib.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dogpoet

• xena

• Agricola2301

• moonlit butterfly

How about the Hemisphere Stainless Steel FPs that are now available? I hope they are more resistant to chips and scratches than the older lacquer versions?

Is there any way I can try out the M and F nibs before I decide?? Any shops in Chennai (India)?

I have, and used a stainless steel Hemisphere for over 5 years now and no gashed scratches.

I've also a chromed finish one and again no scratches that ruin the finish/look.

Both these finishes are more resistant than the colourful versions in my opinion.

They are quite weighty for their size too (which is a plus for me).

They have proven to be very reliable and one or the other have been constantly in my rotation of pens. A personal favorite model.

Edited by floydee1

Nervous? No, I'm just thinking...

• 4 months later...

I have the roller ball version. Like the heft, but the performance sucks. Doesn't matter the age of the refill cartridge either. Maybe I need to try a medium point - the fine sure doesn't do that beautiful pen justice.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I have the roller ball version. Like the heft, but the performance sucks. Doesn't matter the age of the refill cartridge either. Maybe I need to try a medium point - the fine sure doesn't do that beautiful pen justice.

I actually have the set and have this same thing with the rollerball. Love the weight and balance but the misstarts and general scratchy, uneven feel of the writing made me just leave it on the box at home. But I'll also admit that, having to choose the one pen to bring with me when I got this new job away from Portugal, I chose this one as being the nicest one and an overall good writer among the pens I love but can handle losing.

Pros:

Good weight;

Nice smooth writing with a fine nib;

It's a looker with the lacquered black finish and golden clip and accents, but still manages to be understated.

Cons:

The finish, while nice, does scratch easily - mine as a lot of those micro scratches and noticeable scratch on the barrel.

The bezel on the cap gets blunt easily if you happen to drop it *just* right - I'll take the fifth.

The plastic on the gripping part and its horrible seam. It's like bad flash on model planes or soldiers.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen. - Winston Churchill

Hi.

I have the same pen, in Metallic Cognac with a fine nib. Mine has always been a smooth writer (it drinks only Havana). It is actually my most expensive pen!

John

• 1 year later...