Waterman Hemisphere (in fine point) Review

dogpoet

Thanks for the review!

I got my Hemisphere at the end of last month, with a medium nib, and immediately fell in love with the way it writes... remarkably smooth, good ink flow, everything that one wants from a pen.

However, the fun started after I replaced the first cartridge (with the same ink - Waterman black). When starting out the pen writes magnificently, but after a page or so it starts to skip, mainly on the down strokes. If I put the pen down for a few minutes it again writes beautifully, then starts to skip again. The longer I leave it the more it writes before it skips.

One other member of the FPN I know of has had the same problem; has anyone here encountered it? And any ideas on what the problem could be and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance,

Les

So many pens out there crying "Buy me!", so little money in the bank...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dogpoet

• xena

• Agricola2301

• moonlit butterfly

I've not had that problem, Les. (If I had, I wouldn't have rated the pen so highly.)

I can't imagine what's causing that. Would a good flushing help?

• 2 months later...

My Cobalt showed up yesterday and is at this moment laying on my mousepad next to my black Hemisphere. I'm hooked, by far my favorite slim line pen. However, my new Cobalt did have a converter in the box.

Mmmm! Jimmie! This is some serious gourmet s**t! Usually, me and Vince would be happy with some freeze-dried Taster's Choice right, but he springs this serious GOURMET s**t on us! What flavor is this?

I don't need you to tell me how freaking good my coffee is, okay? I'm the one who buys it. I know how good it is. When Bonnie goes shopping she buys S**T. I buy the gourmet expensive stuff because when I drink it I want to taste it.

Thanks for the review!

I got my Hemisphere at the end of last month, with a medium nib, and immediately fell in love with the way it writes... remarkably smooth, good ink flow, everything that one wants from a pen.

However, the fun started after I replaced the first cartridge (with the same ink - Waterman black). When starting out the pen writes magnificently, but after a page or so it starts to skip, mainly on the down strokes. If I put the pen down for a few minutes it again writes beautifully, then starts to skip again. The longer I leave it the more it writes before it skips.

One other member of the FPN I know of has had the same problem; has anyone here encountered it? And any ideas on what the problem could be and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance,

Les

Hi,

I know this is a little late on this post... but I received my new hemisphere yesterday (in chrome) and absolutely fell in love with it.... until.... a couple of pages into my writing it started skipping. I have given it a good clean and it is showing no sign of improvement. Really disappointed. It has been a long time since I have owned a fountain pen and I was really excited about using one again. I will persevere though as when it is writing it is beautiful to use and very smooth. Any suggestions on a cure would be much welcomed though!

I offered one to a friend and she is happily writing with it. This is a very good deal for the money, I agree.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I offered one to a friend and she is happily writing with it. This is a very good deal for the money, I agree.

This shows how new I am... I think that it may be the paper that I am using, as I have tested the pen on another type of paper and it write absolutely fine. So... perfect in all ways after all ! (Is it common for paper types to cause skipping by the way?)

• 4 weeks later...

My Hemisphere Comet Red was my first FP, not counting my ancient MB Meisterstuck. I bought it at Penwa.com for $50 and it came with a cartridge and a converter. I then bought a blue one and in about a year it got a tiny chip in the cap. I contacted Waterman and they told me to send it to them and they replaced the nib, no charge. These old time companies really care about their professionalism and their reputation. I would encourage everyone who has any problems with a pen, including a scratch or chip to contact the company. Most of the time they will replace the pen. Waterman replaced the front end of my Carene three times because it was leaking. Only did I find out later that it was the ink I was using that was crawling up the inlaid nib. Duh!

Phone calls last just minutes, emails get deleted, but letters live forever.

• 5 months later...

I was given a Waterman Hemisphere (in chrome) as a present with a medium size nib.

I like the pen very much. But the nib writes very widely. Waterman will exchange the nib at no cost.

I just don't know if I should get the fine or the extra fine size nib.

I am trying to figure out the difference between the two.

• 8 months later...

I much prefer my Safaris.

I keep persevering with the Hemisphere as it was a proudly-given gift from my brother, but can't get to like it. Smooth when you get it right, but the 'sweet spot' is too elusive and at too shallow an angle for my liking. Also, the brass barrel is deceptively heavy for an elegant and well-balanced-looking pen. When I finish this inkload I'll retire it or give it to my daughter.

On a related point, it came in a set with a rollerball. The gold cap that seats the rollerball's clip came loose; it is fastened by an odd-shaped nut inside the cap and is impossible to tighten. The fountain pen has exactly the same arrangement.

Sorry, but I prefer my Safaris.

Edited by nilpf

• 3 weeks later...

I posted earlier that I was unhappy with the Hemi - I'd like to retract that.

After reading another thread, I dismantled the nib/section/breather and gave it a good old clean. Brought the old girl to life, it did. Nice looking, nice feel for a small pen, and now as smooth as silk and faultless flow on half decent paper.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello,

I don't know if this topic isn't dead, but I would like to ask you something.

I would like to buy this pen, but I also like Hemisphere GT, you know, looks better for me, but I'm not sure if there is a big difference, could you tell me something about it?

And the second question is the nib size. I have a quite small handwriting and I'm not sure if I should buy a medium or a fine nib, what do you think?

Thanks a lot for answers .)

Hello,

I don't know if this topic isn't dead, but I would like to ask you something.

I would like to buy this pen, but I also like Hemisphere GT, you know, looks better for me, but I'm not sure if there is a big difference, could you tell me something about it?

And the second question is the nib size. I have a quite small handwriting and I'm not sure if I should buy a medium or a fine nib, what do you think?

Thanks a lot for answers .)

Hi ChesterBen

When I received my Hemisphere 4 years ago as a gift it had a Very Fine nib. I have small handwriting and the nib suits me down to the ground. I always find medium nibs to be too thick for my handwriting.

Good luck with your choice, and enjoy!

• 1 month later...

Thank you, dogpoet, for your review of the Waterman Hemisphere fine point. I agree with you as to the pen's comfort, appearance, and build, having purchased recently a Hemisphere Golden Shine at half-price from an eBay seller. My Waterman has amedium nib, however.

Interestingly, a good friend of mine recently gifted me with a used Mont Blanc Meisterstuck Hommage to Mozart fountain pen with a fine nib. Switching back and forth between the two pens made me appreciate the Waterman's buttery smooth line. Since I'm just a novice on fountain pens, I'm tempted to say (no, in fact I will say), comparing fine- and medium nibs is like comparing apples to oranges. (To the seasoned veterans: Is this a fair/accurate statement?)

I must admit, though, after comparing the Mont Blanc and the Waterman, I actually thought of taking a piece of 400-grit sandpaper to the Mont Blanc in an attempt to make its nib feel smoother, a la the Waterman. Thus far I've resisted the urge, which is probably a good thing. While the Mont Blanc has its advantages, the least of which is its portability (it's a little over four inches long), I imagine it is more suitable for someone with a smaller hand and delicate fingers. Anyone out there interested in a used Meisterstuck? It also comes with a CD of music from the film "Amadeus" and encased in a very attractive box with a color facsimile of Tom Hulce ("Mozart") on the top.

Guess you could say the Waterman Hemisphere Golden Shine medium nib has spoiled me and entrenched me further in medium-nib territory.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." (Jim Elliot, Christian martyr)

Hemisphere is a great pen, smooth writer, and well balanced. Like all mass productions individual pens may not live up but generally it is well made and does look more expensive than it actually is.

The grip is thinner than the Expert, which is also a heftier and thicker pen. But in writing quality they can both be compared. The grip is abolut the same as a Cross Century II, which is slightly more expensive. Parker Sonnet is maybe between the two Watermans in thickness. Personally I like the girth weight and balance of the Expert better than the Hemisphere, but that may have to do with my large hands.

Dear ChesterBen,

GT Hemisphere is all about looks. the steel variety is essentially the same pen. the nibs are steel, silver appearance or gold plated. For small hand writing a fine nib is recommended and as the hand writing increases in size you can get away with thicker nibs - I use only B or BB, if I can get them. My two Hemispheres both have a M nib which lay down a wet line and are smooth, good writers.

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid

• 3 months later...

I have owned both pens and while the Hemisphere is very nice pen for the money, the Expert just seems to hve that much more when it comes to quality and sturdiness.

For in all things the woman is full of fear, not able to look upon battle or cold steel. But when she is

wounded over love no heart is more murderous.

Medea 263-266