Pen for architect

f00bar

Wow. Thank you so much for all the replies.

On first glance I have to say that the Murex looks very tempting. I will have to make a bit more research, though. As most of the pens are well within my budget, I might even get another one as well.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• J English Smith

• Sketchy

• troglokev

• f00bar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Look into an M800. Don't know what that costs in your location (because I don't know where you live), all I know is that these German items cost less in the states than they do here. (Pervers, nicht wahr?)

If that's too expensive, then get anything "below" that such as an M600, M400, M215.

P.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I'd be a bit wary of using anything with an expensive nib on tracing paper (thinking of the durability of the iridium) but for other papers almost any pen is suitable

For a design treat I'd opt for the Pilot / for General sketching the Sailor Calligraphy is worth checking out as this is simply many nibs in one & is very cheap / & for writing with a design classic with style its the Eversharp Skyline

• To be more specific, I want a good daily writer that I hope I can enjoy for many years to come.
  • I want a pen that has a nice, clean line, a thin nib and is good (or at least acceptable) for drawing.
  • The line might have a bit of variation, or personality to it. It should not be to dry.
  • Concerning the design of the pen: the cap and barrel should ideally be in the same color. I am not too crazy about lots of details and pattern, but if it is well designed - why not. I would like it to have a nice classic look.

I think the Lamy Vista is what you're looking for. The EF nib has a nice clean moist line for writing and drawing. You're not going to get much variation with a fine nib, unless you go for one with some flex. In that case, a 60's/70's vintage Pilot pen might be what you're looking for. But I think the Vista has a superb look to it, suggesting "architecture".

Here's an image of one along side a Rotring 600 (click here for review).

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/MYU701/pens/Lamy/other/LamyVista-Rotring600_capped.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/MYU701/pens/Lamy/other/LamyVista_Rotring600_uncapped.jpg

Now of course, these pens are seriously under your budget (you said under $350 -- the Vista can be had for $25 shipped! The Rotring for about $90). That said, you can get an assortment of nibs for the Vista, depending on your drawing/writing needs.

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

waterman exception and cross verve

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Woof, that Pilot M90 is a beaut! Hope they make some more of those for the US...

Isn't it, though? The M90 is a limited edition of 9000, but the demand thus far has been pretty strong. I'm hoping that the response is enough to inspire Pilot to bring out a similar model in larger numbers.

I love the look of the Rotring 600's but they are so darn heavy. I have the ball points in this series (4 of em, old style) and I love to pull them out and use them from time to time. But they only weigh about 1/2 of the fountain pen!

I also have a Rotring 600, and I like the minimalism of its design. As you say, it's a very heavy pen, and this affects my wrining to its detriment. The M90 is a better pen to write with, in my experience.

I am looking for the perfect fountain pen... Sounds kind of scary, does it not?

No, naive.

There is no such thing, however...

To be more specific, I want a good daily writer that I hope I can enjoy for many years to come. I am currently working on my master in architecture, so I want a pen that has a nice, clean line, a thin nib and is good (or at least acceptable) for drawing. The line might have a bit of variation, or personality to it. It should not be to dry.

Concerning the design of the pen: the cap and barrel should ideally be in the same color. I am not too crazy about lots of details and pattern, but if it is well designed - why not. I would like it to have a nice classic look.

Other than that? It _should_ not cost more than $350.

Thin? Not the Lamy's.

Not dry? Not the Pilots.

Classic look? Not the Vanishing Point (yes a Pilot, but Binder nibs are available).

Same color cap & barrel? Not the Pelikan's (the other brand Binder works on).

What you may want to do is visit http://www.richardspens.com/ and see what types of service Richard provides and how much it costs (there is a waiting list but not much you can do about that). Subtract his costs from your budget, the pick a pen that looks good to you, and has a reputation for being well-thought-out/reliable.

Then get it, and if it works for you, you are done. Otherwise send it in to Richard. He'll make it wetter or dryer, make the nib thinner, et cetera.

There are a lot of reviews on this board, check sites that sell pens (Richard does, too) and search for several that look good to you, then read the reviews keeping in mind Richard can change the flow, grind the nib, etc.