Guider Jumbo

hari317

Well, I can finally chime in as I have just received my order from Satish this afternoon which consisted of a Giuder Jumbo and Midsize mottled brown ebonite pen.

The jumbo is really a massive pen, which I like. It is well balanced and fits nicely in the hand. The finish is not perfect but certainly more than acceptable. Someone posted about some micro-abrasives that they used to polish the pen but I don't find it necessary with mine. This pen holds an enormous amount of ink; approximately 4cc's by my estimation.

In terms of performance, my jumbo writes very well actually. It lays a superwet line of aurora black on rhodia paper and is very smooth. I asked Satish for fine which is exactly what I got, perhaps a little bit on the medium side. My only complaint is that it takes 5 full turns to uncap the Jumbo which can be a bit laborious.

The mottled brown ebonite pen is another story. Finishing is quite nice but I'm having problems getting the pen to hold any ink. I filled it with Lamy blue, following Steves instructions above but as soon as the pen is inverted, it leaks one drop every 5 seconds until the pen is empty. I played with the feed and the nib appears to be ok, but none the less it leaks uncontrollably unless turned upside down. I suppose I'll have to play with some new nibs and feeds and see if it will correct the problem.

Stay tuned.

MrR

ok, so after owning these pens for a couple of weeks I thought I might give an update.

the mottled brown ebonite pen still leaks like crazy and is siting unused as I dont have spare nibs and feeds lying around.

the guider jumbo still writes very well but the dry-out is terrible and it is not easy to get going after sitting for only a day. A few flicks does nothing, you have to gently tap the nib down on the paper a dozen times or so to get it going which can take between 30 to 60 seconds. As a result, i'm putting the jumbo away in my pen case for a while. Maybe some mods would turn these two into great pens but for me, I could have spent my 65$ elsewhere.

mrR

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• MrRogers

• Lexaf

• AllWriteNow

Buy your pens from Steve Braun (luckygrandson) if you want to avoid such problems as have been described here. He tunes the pens prior to selling and makes sure they are in working condition.

Mr R

If you would like...?

Send me the pens. I will get them going properly.

PM me for my address.

Steve

OH...and... NO CHARGE!

AWN%252520ADD.jpg

the guider jumbo still writes very well but the dry-out is terrible and it is not easy to get going after sitting for only a day. A few flicks does nothing, you have to gently tap the nib down on the paper a dozen times or so to get it going which can take between 30 to 60 seconds. As a result, i'm putting the jumbo away in my pen case for a while. Maybe some mods would turn these two into great pens but for me, I could have spent my 65$ elsewhere.

Hi MrR, Sorry to see that you are facing these troubles with your Jumbo. I would suggest you to block the two breather holes in the cap with molten candle wax and then thoroughly wash the section in cold water to remove dried ink. I see that Steve has kindly offered to fix your pen.

Steve, how are you handling the dry out issue on the pens sold by you? are you also blocking the breather holes and creating new ones, because I see this problem on ALL of the stock Guiders?

Regards,

Hari

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.