What Pens Are You Using Today?

TheNobleSavage

I went out with my old Mum yesterday. After coffee at Costa, she loves to do the rounds of the charity shops. Never buys anything though. I go along with it, always hoping I might find a pen or two, but I've never had any luck. Yesterday I spotted a Parker pen box in what looked like pristine condition. Inside was a Parker 17 Super in bright burgundy, selling for £15. I had a look at it - brilliant condition, still showing clear chalk-marks on the barrel. So I bought it. When I had a look at it afterwards I realised it had a fine left-foot oblique nib. It did have ink in it (that had clearly been there for many years) but after a good soaking and clean I filled it up. I love oblique nibs anyway but this writes like an absolute dream. Nearer OM than OF. I'd originally intended to clean it up and sell it on, but its now a 'keeper'. Very pleased. :)

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Aquinas

• Freddy

• PAKMAN

• Bill Smith

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been playing around with a H. M. Smith & co tipped gold dip nib in a mother of pearl handle from the late 1800s. The fact that it's tipped makes it really smooth on the paper, yet it can produce the hairlines that only dip pens can, along with insane flex that goes beyond what a wet noodle can do.

I'm using Higgins Eternal black ink with it.

Pictures here: http://i.imgur.com/iKvLEeP.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/80cvQrh.jpg?1

Edited by discopig

Today is a good assortment:

Sheaffer Imperial 797, b nib with Sheaffer Black

Aurora 88, b nib with PR DCSSB

Black and rhodium Sailor 1911 Standard, m nib with Binder Burgundy

Black and rhodium Sheaffer Valor, b nib with Sheaffer Blue

Pelikan M205 [M] with Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo

Pilot Custom Heritage 91 [bB] with Mont Blanc Meisterstück 90th Anniversary Permanent Grey

I picked this up this weekend at Fahrney's in DC. It was the only one they had left (on the shelf, anyway) and I really like it. Much better than Noodler's Lexington Gray on the paper I habitually use (Rhodia, copy paper, Field Notes).

Lamy AL-Star with Graf von Faber-Castell Carbon Black

Welcome aboard, nice pen choices.

Thank You.

Today was entirely supported by my Monteverde Invincia. Wrote a few letters to go out to family, and a review of an ink I've been growing rather fond of.

After a week on vacation using the Holiday Inn Express Special ballpoint, I have my Green Marble Waterman Phileas with Waterman Blue/Black ready to go tomorrow...really appreciating the feel of the fountain pen after a week of exile.

Pilot VP XF, Diamine Kelly Green. Great combo for note-taking. Black ink is too boring.

Edited by discopig

Today I am writing with my new Lamy Safari with F nib and trying to love it. I wrote with it last week, using the cartridge that came with it (because the converter I ordered hasn't arrived yet), and it was a nice wet writer, giving me such thick lines that I thought I should pick up a Lamy Al-Star with EF nib. I was thinking of making this my new EDC pen ... but this week it is a dry writer. :( I don't know what happened. Still, I keep writing with it, hoping it will return to the wet writer it was last week.

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

I have a Lamy Safari arriving today, and it will get some ink today. This will be my first Lamy, so I am kind of excited!

A Jinhao X450 with Private Reserve Ebony Green, and an old Sheaffer "Student" pen with a really fine nib and blue-black cartridge.

I have a Lamy Safari arriving today, and it will get some ink today. This will be my first Lamy, so I am kind of excited!

Congrats!!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

A Jinhao X450 with Private Reserve Ebony Green, and an old Sheaffer "Student" pen with a really fine nib and blue-black cartridge.

You'll enjoy those too.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

For now mainly MW Exception & recently bought Platinum 3776, some times Parker Sonnet, WM Expert & Sheaffer Prelude

Bexley 10th Anniversary with a Bexley Stub (Waterman Blue/Black)

Jeb's Custom in Urushi Acrylic with a Mike M. Bold CI (Noodlers Blue/Black)

I have a waterman in my box as a collection of classic fountain pens and well guys i must surely suggest you all to go for waterman coz using a waterman gives you a too good feeling about urself.

I have a waterman in my box as a collection of classic fountain pens and well guys i must surely suggest you all to go for waterman coz using a waterman gives you a too good feeling about urself.

Phileas is definitely my favorite for everyday use. I have two of them, both with F nibs, and they don't disappoint.