Montegrappa

orangezorki

Hello all,

I'm sorely tempted by a Turquoise Montegrappa Miya FP, but I've learned something to make me a bit wary. AFAIK, they are now part of Richemont, a very large luxury goods conglomerate, which also makes Mont Blanc. I'm wary because all too often when that happens, focus turns to the bottom line and prices go north and quality south. The wikipedia entry for them even says that they don't make the pens themselves any more, though the article does seem to contradict itself on that one. Also, my only experience with MB has not been a fantastic one, in terms of either product or service.

So, I guess what I'm asking is am I getting ripped off if I buy one? Or is there a similar pen that is either better quality or better value?

Thanks for any answers in advance,

David.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• orangezorki

• lterry

• Darius

• feiye

I own a number of Montegrappa pens (Extra/Miya/Symphony/Historia/Classica) and the Miya in turquoise is one that I get a lot compliments about, as the color is gorgeous. I have many pens from Montegrappa that are pre and post Richemont era and I can tell you that I have not noticed a change in quality in any way - they are well made pens. I have had a couple serviced by Richemont Canada with the exception of one issue with a loose cap ring not being put on correctly (centered) - an issue they resolved - the service and quality of repairs has been excellent. Olivia in their Canadian office truly appreciates fine pens and is a joy to do business with. Often the pens were sent back to Italy and returned within 4 - 5 weeks with excellent nib adjustments been done by the master craftsmen at Montegrappa's factory in Italy.

I believe someone on the forum got to see the factory recently and commented on their celluloid vault...my mouth waters like Homer Simpson looking at donuts thinking of all that celluloid :-)

I too was a little concerned when a nice family business was taken over by Richemont, as I have heard some negative comments about the corporate practices by some dealers, but don't let that stop you from buying this pen. It was the first Italian fountain pen that I ever bought and it is still one of my favorite pens today.

"Giving power and money to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."

P.J. O'Rourke

Last I heard, the celluloid pens were still being made in the Bassano factory in Italy whereas the new resin models (Nero Uno, Piccola, Espressione and even the Stradivari) are made in Germany.

The Miya Turquoise is a gorgeous pen, I have the Miya Argento version and it is a beauty. It is a stunningly smooth writer too. The celluloid on the pen is so rich, it is well worth the price. :)

In rotation:

Pelikan M400 with Pilot Iroshizuku Momiji

Nakaya Kuro-tame Desk Pen with Platinum Blue

Visconti Van Gogh Maxi with Aurora Black

Twitter: @souveran

I really love my Miyas. They're good sized pens, very nice weight in the hand, and the celluloids are beautiful. I have a yellow one and a dark blue one. And the Miya addressed a big problem with other Montegrappas- the caps take forever to unscrew. It's nearly eight full rotations to uncap an Extra, while it's just two on the Miya. The nibs are really nice, though the newer ones are a bit stiffer than others.

I've noticed that the new Stradivari has the same nib/feed unit used by MB in its 146/LE pens, so I'm guessing they're being made by MB now.

Hello all,

I'm sorely tempted by a Turquoise Montegrappa Miya FP, but I've learned something to make me a bit wary. AFAIK, they are now part of Richemont, a very large luxury goods conglomerate, which also makes Mont Blanc. I'm wary because all too often when that happens, focus turns to the bottom line and prices go north and quality south. The wikipedia entry for them even says that they don't make the pens themselves any more, though the article does seem to contradict itself on that one. Also, my only experience with MB has not been a fantastic one, in terms of either product or service.

So, I guess what I'm asking is am I getting ripped off if I buy one? Or is there a similar pen that is either better quality or better value?

David.

If you don't want to buy the newer Montegrappa, the Symphony came in the same turquoise - at least it looks the same to me. These do come up for sale now and then. They do, however, have the problem of the many revolutions required to take off the cap.

mehitabel

there's a dance or two in the old dame yet - mehitabel the cat

I've noticed that the new Stradivari has the same nib/feed unit used by MB in its 146/LE pens, so I'm guessing they're being made by MB now.

Ouch - that puts a spoke in the works. You see, I really enjoyed my trip to Vicenza, over six years ago, and so would be far more willing to pull the trigger if it was made nearby. Does anyone have some advice as to how to tell?

David.

Ouch - that puts a spoke in the works. You see, I really enjoyed my trip to Vicenza, over six years ago, and so would be far more willing to pull the trigger if it was made nearby. Does anyone have some advice as to how to tell?

David.

Last I heard, the celluloid pens were still being made in the Bassano factory in Italy whereas the new resin models (Nero Uno, Piccola, Espressione and even the Stradivari) are made in Germany.

However, that's not to say that the pens made/assembled in Germany are bad. I've found that QC has actually improved with their newer models, in particular I was very impressed with the Nero Uno. The Stradivari was also a very good writer and since I learnt from Vicary that it has the same feed & nib section as the MB Writers' Edition, I am tempted to try a Montblanc. Also, Montegrappa have been outsourcing their nibs from the German company Bock for a very long time now, that has not changed (to my knowledge at least).

Again, you should be safe with a celluloid Miya if you want one from the Italian factory.

In rotation:

Pelikan M400 with Pilot Iroshizuku Momiji

Nakaya Kuro-tame Desk Pen with Platinum Blue

Visconti Van Gogh Maxi with Aurora Black

Twitter: @souveran

Hi David,

I have not held a Miya before but from what I see, they are beautiful pens. The intensity and depth of Montegrappa celluloids are unparalleled in my opinion.

Even so, I don't feel they represent good value, and yes, not even luxury value. I own an Extra1930 for some time now and the pen is picky on what sort of ink goes in, a problem my two Omases do not have. So now I have a designated bottle of Waterman for this pen.

From my limited experience with Montegrappa, their service has been outstanding as far as correspondence is concerned, though they take a while to respond. I would say if you like distinguished service, Montegrappa has a smaller client base and you just may get the treatment of a customer owning a pen priced at this level.

Ripped off is certain, though some would argue that it is subjective, and should not even influenced the purchase of a beautiful object. But I can see Montegrappas being much more popular if they come down from the stratosphere, but then Richemont would lose their brand-price segregation strategy!

Hello all,

David.

AAA

Thank you all for your help, I'm afraid that I have decided not to buy.

Unfortunately, it seems like I may never be able to buy a new Miya, as they are apparently being discontinued, along with that lovely turquoise celluloid.

However, it is a huge amount of money, and all but one had pretty uninspiring nibs. The one that did have a smooth, springy nib had an imperfection in the celluloid. In fact, about half the examples I saw had damage or imperfections - one even had a deep groove where the cap had been posted tightly. That doesn't bode well for something that would have to see daily use in a busy hospital to justify it's high price. Oh, and they've just put the price up as well - now £380 in some shops.

Instead, to satisfy my cravings, I have taken almost £100 less (including shipping), and ordered all this:

2 restored vintage Conway Stewarts with flexible nibs

3 new Libelle FPs with fantastic finishes: Winter Storm, Sea Breeze, Autumn Leaves

A Hero 100 Stainless steel

Another Chinese pen - a mini orange one.

A big bottle of Noodler's Polar Blue (w/ free eyedropper pen)

A bottle of Private Reserve Avocado

Some fine gel refills for my Parker Frontier (needed for carbonless copies and to let others use at work)

A leather 24 pen case

A writefill set (which frankly I could have 'borrowed' from work, but at least I won't feel any guilt...)

All in all, eight pens (at least two of which will write fantastically), which seems like much better value and a good 'kick-start' to my fledgling collection.

David.

• 5 months later...

I'm sorely tempted by a Turquoise Montegrappa Miya FP

Tay from Pensinasia has The Historia (pre-Richemont) which is very much like the Miya except with a celluloid section instead of silver. Go have a look.

Try Novelli to see if Marco has the Miya pens. If not, ask Tay. World Lux in Seattle may also have them.

"Giving power and money to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."

P.J. O'Rourke

Hi All,

I don't post here on the Italian Pens forum, but I do read it a lot as I like Italian pens and have many.

I do have a few Montegrappa celluloids, and I enjoy using them. The materials are beautiful, and their performance is reliable. I have heard is said before that the more recent Montegrappas being made by Montblanc. The comment above stating that the Stradivari, and potentially the entire Gentio Creativo series (I know there are only 2 so far), are made by Montblanc, intrigues me to start collecting this series.

Last August I purchased a beautiful little Montegrappa Micra in purple from the sale at Holts. The pen needed an adjustment so we drove it to the MB facility in Allentown. The representative there told us that in 2009 Montegrappa will no longer be part of the Richmont group. At the time she was communicating this information to us she either did not know where the company was headed or she wasn't free to say. She also told us that this year the Allentown facility was moving to New Jersey.

My pen ended up in Italy on vacation and was eventually returned to me in perfect condition.

Last August I purchased a beautiful little Montegrappa Micra in purple from the sale at Holts. The pen needed an adjustment so we drove it to the MB facility in Allentown. The representative there told us that in 2009 Montegrappa will no longer be part of the Richmont group. At the time she was communicating this information to us she either did not know where the company was headed or she wasn't free to say. She also told us that this year the Allentown facility was moving to New Jersey.

My pen ended up in Italy on vacation and was eventually returned to me in perfect condition.

I have heard similar things from retailers, collectors' word of mouth, etc. It is all hearsay of course, but my understanding is that the latest "Montegrappa" releases were not profitable, and especially given the economy, something will change in the future. But what will change exactly, is unknown. One speculation I've heard, is that Richmont is selling Montegrappa to an Asian company (possibly the same one that owns Omas). But I have absolutely no proof of any of this.

Edited by QM2

I have heard similar things from retailers, collectors' word of mouth, etc. It is all hearsay of course, but my understanding is that the latest "Montegrappa" releases were not profitable, and especially given the economy, something will change in the future. But what will change exactly, is unknown. One speculation I've heard, is that Richmont is selling Montegrappa to an Asian company (possibly the same one that owns Omas). But I have absolutely no proof of any of this.

I agree. Montegrappa cannot possibly be turning a profit. Their pens are beautiful, but they are priced alongside Montblanc, Cartier, and Dupont, all three of whom offer other luxury goods besides pens. Being part of a larger luxury "brand" inherently increases pen sales. If Montegrappa pens were truly excellent writers, they could, perhaps, overcome this handicap, but the sad truth is that most fountain pen collectors don't think the pens write well enough to justify the high prices....so there are not many sales. What Montegrappa needs to do is to take a few lessons from how Conway Stewart turned itself around.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

Very interesting topic...

My store carries MB, MTG, Cartier and Dunhill. And I guess the most problematic have been MTG. Inconsistent feed and "drying up" quickly seem to be the most common complaints. I am "glad" to hear that it is not only my customers having these problems. It is sad, as the pens look beautiful and are fantastically presented. But ultimately they have to fulfil the purpose they are made....to write with!

I'm prepared to give them a try myself, and will jump on a Miya or maybe a Stradivari in the next few months. I just hope that whoever owns the company can bring success and profitablitity back to Bassano.

Surely we can all appreciate artisan handmade products in these days of mass-manufactured products.

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society"......Mark Twain