Pen Brands World Wide

Gerry

Hi,

My sister happens to have a hoover deluxe ballpoint and fountain pen set.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gerry

• Lexaf

• Johnny Appleseed

• antoniosz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

Dux, Doctor, and Guanleming are a Hero sub-brands.

Dillon

Guanleming is not a Hero subrand but it is in China.

Dillon

Was the last an update to the first?

Gerry

# , Name , Branding , Country , Date , Style , Contrib , Notes

Hyde and Co. NY, , USA, 1910?, ED, JC,

From Ebay auction - EYEDROPPER FOUNTAIN PEN-C1910-HYDE &CO-N.Y. GOLD NIB

John

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

EBOS

Waterford (Irish?)

Christian Dior

Versace (produced by OMAS I believe)

Nortman (English)

Girard Perregaux (Swiss)

Pop-A-Point (British patent)

Van Cleef & Arpels (France)

Edited by rimmerjar

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Wonderfully informative list - thanks for all the effort!

By way of thanks, here are a few more (and a couple of emendations).

- Berwick: another inexpensive US make (1940s?). Syringe filler, I believe.

- Executive Secretary: second (third?) tier US make, late 1940s-1950s. I've got a gold-filled (or gold-plated) pen & pencil set, and I've seen plastic pens in this brand as well. My pen is a button-filler with a hooded 14K nib. The barrel is engraved with the brand name and the place of origin: Union, New Jersey. The instructions that came with the set refer warranty claims to the Camel Pen Company, also of Union.

- Hollywood: the examples I've got are inexpensive 1950s US-made LF pens.

- Huron: I've got an oversized black-and-cream flattop lever-filler, black cap and barrel ends, unmarked clip, 14K Warranted #8 nib, c. 1920s. (US make, I assume.) The barrel is marked "The Huron Pen," with the word "Huron" underlined. Decent quality pen.

- Pratic: a French pen; my one example is from the 1920s, BCHR, lever-fill.

- Prosperity: a 1930s Sheaffer sub-brand (although there may well be "Prosperity" branded pens that are not Sheaffers). I've got a couple of lever-fillers, one of them imprinted "Prosperity Pen/Made by Sheaffer."

- Stetson: a pen so branded sold recently on eBay. Here's a link to the listing, for as long as it remains active: http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-STETSON-Fountain-P...tem130024069975

I've also attached an image, below, grabbed from that auction. Barrel imprint: "THE STETSON, Columbus, O." Found in a Diamond Medal box, but I'm not sure that means anything.

I don't know that much can be made of this, but I've got a boxed example of a BCHR pen called simply "The Stylographic Pen" (seems to be US-made). No other maker identification.

I can vouch for "Keystone": I've got a specimen of a BHR eyedropper in the original box. US-made.

I believe a "University" Sheaffer sub-brand (not "Univer") was mentioned in the Sheaffer/Kraker litigation. Has anyone ever seen one? (I've often been tempted to believe that the "Univer" name was created by striking the "sity" from the "University" tool; maybe there was a conflict with another "University" brand?)

I believe "Wanamake" should be "Wanamaker": the great, much-missed Philadelphia department store. The only example I've seen was a rebranded Wearever.

On the subject of department store names, I believe "Supermacy" should be "Supre-Macy"; Macy's used this brand for several of its rebranded items.

I think the proper spelling is "Haolilai" (China).

"Vacuum-Fill" (the Sheaffer sub-brand) should be spelled "Vacuum-Fil" (one "l").

Finally, a question: does anyone know anything more about the "Barrett" brand (New York City)? I gather a gentleman named Barrett (not CE) was a principal in the New York "Liberty" pen company; is this likely to be the same Barrett? (I've got a very nice celluloid combo marked "Barrett Pen-Pencil/New York City.")

I'm still sifting through my junk boxes, and I hope to be able to add another name or two.

Cheers,

Jon

post-22-1158152205_thumb.jpg

Edited by Univer

John Schwab mentioned that there are many CS associated brands. Here is some info.

In the first group there are models that are in the list but you can add that they are Conway Stewart associated brands.

Army & Navy

Barnsley

British Rope

Crawford

County

Devon

Hopkins

Invicta

John Bull

Landy

Maenson

Mosley

Penguin

Quality

Regent

Renown

Repulse

Seal

Simpson

St Michael

Stag

Stovarsol

Suffolk

Write Easy

Second group is CS associated pens that are not in the list.

Chancery

Novocastrian

Perth

Richmond

Finally:

Bantam needs clarification that there are two Bantams one from Wahl Eversharp and one CS associated pen.

All infromation from this source: http://www.ftic.info/Donahaye/ConwayStewar...age10.htm#Landy

Edited by antoniosz

Thanks everyone. I guess it is time to do another update. I am kinda busy this week, but will attend to it at the first opportunity I have.

Regards,

Gerry

Hi All,

Just by way of clarification: the "Keystone" brand I can swear to is clearly an early one: I'm guessing 1920 at the latest, and maybe before. But I've also seen eBay listings for much newer pens (c. 1950s?) branded "Keystone." So there may well be multiple pens by that name.

And I did come across one more cheap 1950s-era plastic lever filler: "Alva." Barely worth mentioning, except for the fact that if someone happened to have an "Edison" on hand, and if they could turn up a pen called a "Thomas," it would be possible to put together a three-pen grouping that added up to Thomas Alva Edison.

Cheers,

Jon

Edited by Univer

Finally, a question: does anyone know anything more about the "Barrett" brand (New York City)? I gather a gentleman named Barrett (not CE) was a principal in the New York "Liberty" pen company; is this likely to be the same Barrett? (I've got a very nice celluloid combo marked "Barrett Pen-Pencil/New York City.")

The Barrett who was a principal and founder of the Liberty Pen Company in NYC was George Barrett, who is not a known relation of C.E. Barrett. C.E. Barrett did produce a few pens with the Barrett name, but mostly he turned parts that others assembled into pens. I would love to see a picture of the "Barrett Pen-Pencil/New York City". That sounds like it is a George Barrett production.

George also had a patent or two. There are some threads on Liberty here Liberty mentioned and one at Lion and Pen Liberty Pen Thread

John

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

Hello John,

I'll try to get a picture or two posted. (It may take a day or so - I'm waiting for my new card reader to arrive.)

Thanks for the info, and for the links!

Cheers,

Jon

Hi All,

For anyone who's interested - some photos of the Barrett combo. Top to bottom: closed; open; close-up of barrel imprint; close-up of nib.

Cheers,

Jon

post-22-1159178898_thumb.jpg

Edited by Univer

Well, here's the latest update. Sorry for the delay. I should be up to date with all the corrections, additions and mods suggested to this point.

Just awaiting Mark's (London) input which, judging by last update's response, is due any minute now... :lol:

Regards,

Gerry

Hi Gerry,

I have a few more new ones (and a couple of updates after a bit of research) for the the Megalist but I'll hang on to them for a couple of weeks so that you don't have to do another update for a little while.

<_< The real reason is that I will have to extract them from the various bits of paper that I have them written on.

I'll post them as soon as Martin posts his latest contribution. :)

Cheers, John

Hi saintsimon and Gerry,

A bit of further info on Unique pens. From just after WW2 they were made at the Falcon Pen factory at Neasden on the western outskirts of London which was taken over by Watermans in 1946 but continued to make several different brands besides Waterman. See Andreas Lambrou FPVaM p 97 1989 edition.

Heart (you have it) just and add on info: Geo. W. Heath & Co. Newark, N.J. USA per ebay item #120039002998

A "new" one: The "Rival" Fountain Pen per ebay item 150041544610. Could it be Rivel in your list is Rival?

Another new one, which as Greek I would never use :) Elgin see ebay item 300035475372.

Edited by antoniosz

That Rival might be the Lapham Rival pen by the Lapham & Bogart company. There are references to it at:

Lion and Pen Lapham's Rival and Caw's Dashaway?

Kamakura Pens Francis Cashel Brown article by Ron Dutcher

PenBid Lapham’s Rival, by Michael Fultz

John

- Dr Suess