Can you change a nib in a Sailor

The Legend

I have a two Sailor pens now (1911 series) and I am wondering if I can buy some others nibs and change them?

Just as I did with Pelikan nibs.

Keep writing.

Keep doing it and doing it.

Even in the moments when it's so hurtful to think about writing.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s77/hruud/TheLegendSignatureFPNPR_UB.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rootie

• Dillo

• Phthalo

• The Legend

No. Pelikan units are designed to be interchangeable, and are threaded - screw in, screw out.

While Sailor units remove very easily (twist and pull) - you cannot buy just nib units, as far as I am aware.

Best option is to make a nib change with the retailer who sold you the pens, or offer your units for swap in the marketplace.

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

When you buy a sailor nib, it comes with the section attached. The entire unit can be disassembled, and the nib, feed, and metal nib unit holder can be removed and separated from the outer section barrel, although there is some cement/goop in there to keep the other parts in place, it is not of a type that sets up and bonds, more of a loc-tite thread lock type compound.

You can buy the nib units at Swisher pens, www.swisherpens.com, and probably from other Sailor outlets and distributors, but they aren't cheap.

Is it as easy as a Pelikan? If by easy you mean, does it involve unscrewing something, then yes.

Are the Sailor nibs available as inexpensively as the Pelikan nibs? Given that the Sailor 1911 and variant nibs are all gold (14k, 18k, 21k, etc), then the prices are about on par, maybe a little higher (but, you're getting more parts, too).

Were the Sailor pens meant to have the nib swapped often by the owner? I can't believe that it was intended to be done all that often, or the nibs would be more easily available.

No more or less complex than a Schmidt nib unit, or a Bock nib unit, etc. Pelikans hardly have the market cornered on replaceable nib units. Levenger's true writer's have interchangeable nibs, much like the Esterbrooks of old.

Good luck!

- George

• 2 weeks later...
When you buy a sailor nib, it comes with the section attached. The entire unit can be disassembled, and the nib, feed, and metal nib unit holder can be removed and separated from the outer section barrel, although there is some cement/goop in there to keep the other parts in place, it is not of a type that sets up and bonds, more of a loc-tite thread lock type compound.

You can buy the nib units at Swisher pens, www.swisherpens.com, and probably from other Sailor outlets and distributors, but they aren't cheap.

Is it as easy as a Pelikan? If by easy you mean, does it involve unscrewing something, then yes.

Are the Sailor nibs available as inexpensively as the Pelikan nibs? Given that the Sailor 1911 and variant nibs are all gold (14k, 18k, 21k, etc), then the prices are about on par, maybe a little higher (but, you're getting more parts, too).

Were the Sailor pens meant to have the nib swapped often by the owner? I can't believe that it was intended to be done all that often, or the nibs would be more easily available.

No more or less complex than a Schmidt nib unit, or a Bock nib unit, etc. Pelikans hardly have the market cornered on replaceable nib units. Levenger's true writer's have interchangeable nibs, much like the Esterbrooks of old.

Good luck!

- George

i have a sailor sapporo mini with threaded post for cap.

the cap does not now line up so that clip and nib are in same line, making

pen a bit awkward to hold when posted.

i infer from exchange above that all i need to do is to twist the nib about 90deg in this case.

and that doing so wont be a big deal.

correct?

thanks.

rl

Hi,

Don't turn the nib on the Professional Gear Slim Mini (The name for your Sapporo mini in Japan), you will damage the pen. The feed and nib are set into a collar that is made so that the nib and feed cannot be turned.

Dillon

Edited by Dillo

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

I have been unsuccessful at trying to find a source that sells the nib unit only. If someone does, please let me know. I am looking for the larger Pro Gear sized nib unit in Medium. Thanks.

Hi,

Don't turn the nib on the Professional Gear Slim Mini (The name for your Sapporo mini in Japan), you will damage the pen. The feed and nib are set into a collar that is made so that the nib and feed cannot be turned.

Dillon

many thanks.

seems odd that they would not check alignment.

likewise, the shirt clip cannot be rotated on the cap.

that would solve the problem too.

rl

Hi,

Mine aligns correctly, so I am wondering, maybe your pen is just different. Do you have pictures?

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Hi,

More accurately, pictures of your particular pen. That could help. Are you screwing the cap down until it stops? How about the grip section? Is it screwed fully into the barrel?

Dillon

Edited by Dillo

Dillon

Hi,

More accurately, pictures of your particular pen. That could help. Are you screwing the cap down until it stops? How about the grip section? Is it screwed fully into the barrel?

Dillon

1. yes

2. yes.

photos: am out of town, but can send later.

thanks.

rl

• 5 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

It does pull out, but it is a tight fit and can be damaged if you don't know what you're doing. I don't recommend pulling it. I don't even pull mine unless it is absolutely necessary. You can clean it just as well or better with an ultrasonic cleaner and water.

Dillon

Dillon