Stipula Saturno

QM2

I find the nib on my Visconti Van Gogh Maxi has a similar feel, but all-in-all I favour the Saturno nib.

My Montblanc Fitzgerald (but not my other MBs) has a similar feel to the nib. The best way to describe it, is that there is a lack of that feeling of impact which usually happens when nibs hit paper. So it' not just a matter of being a smooth writer, but something additional. As I said, padding, or shock absorption is what comes to mind. Maybe there is a special tipping method or material they use on these nibs. Writing with this pen certainly is an interesting and unique experience, ebonite and crescent aside.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• QM2

• Doug C

• callida

• Rufus

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear QM2

May I ask how you find the width of the nib? Apologies if I am confusing you with someone else, but I think I've read elsewhere that you normally only use XF nibs.

I have only used fine nibs before but I'm interesting in trying a broad(er) italic nib, without wanting something so broad that my small to average sized handwriting becomes a splodgy mess.

The pen you've chosen is truly gorgeous and has a real 1920s or 1930s feel to it. Like the poster above, I'm now tempted by it too. From what I've seen, here and in other threads, you appear to have a very elegant collection.

Regards

~Callida

May I ask how you find the width of the nib? Apologies if I am confusing you with someone else, but I think I've read elsewhere that you normally only use XF nibs.

I have only used fine nibs before but I'm interesting in trying a broad(er) italic nib, without wanting something so broad that my small to average sized handwriting becomes a splodgy mess.

The pen you've chosen is truly gorgeous and has a real 1920s or 1930s feel to it. Like the poster above, I'm now tempted by it too. From what I've seen, here and in other threads, you appear to have a very elegant collection.

Thank you for the compliment. Yes, I am attracted to the classic 1920's-30's look in pens; usually flat-tops in subdued colours but often extravagant detailing and luxurious materials.

You are correct about my nib preferences: for normal writing, I use XF-XXF round nibs (my ideal size is .3mm or so), .4mm cursive italic nibs, and .5mm stub nibs.

My Stipula Saturno has a 1.1mm stub. My reasoning for getting this nib, was knowing that even the "XF" would likely be too broad for me , and like most pens I would have to send it out for regrinding before using it anyway. So I thought, I may as well get the stub and at least use it for calligraohy a bit before sending it out. However, I now find that this is not practical either, because the stub nib is too rounded. It writes extremely well, but the line is far, far too wide for daily writing, and not crisp enough for calligraphy. So I will play with it for a bit longer and then send it out for regrinding.

Thank you, that's very helpful. All the pens I have (not many) are round nibs in the 0.3 - 0.4 mm range, making it difficult to conceptualise just how much wider a 1.1 stub would really be. I was looking at pictures of line width on Richard Binder's website thinking the 1.1 looked huge, yet wondering whether it was deceptive if someone who normally uses very fine nibbed pens could happily switch to that size.

I'm still a bit tempted to give the 0.9 mm stub a go just to see what it's like, even though I suspect "too wide" will be the answer!

Thank you, that's very helpful. All the pens I have (not many) are round nibs in the 0.3 - 0.4 mm range, making it difficult to conceptualise just how much wider a 1.1 stub would really be. I was looking at pictures of line width on Richard Binder's website thinking the 1.1 looked huge, yet wondering whether it was deceptive if someone who normally uses very fine nibbed pens could happily switch to that size.

I'm still a bit tempted to give the 0.9 mm stub a go just to see what it's like, even though I suspect "too wide" will be the answer!

Why not give it a go, as you can have it re-ground if it's too wide.

Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

Nibs aside..(realizing that is very hard to do)

I have two Saturno's....one that is total backup...the other is on it's way back from Richard...(can't wait). It was misfiring and a bit too dry for my taste.

The Pen itself is incredible.....great line, antique look, warm ebonite feel. It is the #1 pen in my significantly pared down collection. The Novecento is #2.

If I had to own only one pen...this is it...followed closely by my Parker 51. The only wish is that I would KNOW how much ink it was accepting....maybe a Visonti Inkpot would allieviate the pain associated with THAT issue.

Enjoy your Saturno!

Now that I thought I had settle my choice upon getting an Arco Milords you guys all get me thinking again about getting a Stipula again!

Pillowy now that get me thinking...

Lamy AL-star - 1.1 (Omas Violet)

Nakaya Celluloid Mottishaw F Flex (PR Arabian Rose)

Omas Bologna - M (Noodler's Golden Brown)

Pelikan M620 Grand Place - Binder XF/XXF Flex (Noodler's Navajo Turquoise)

Stipula 22 - 0.9 (Waterman Florida Blue)

Waterman Patrician - M (Waterman Florida Blue)

Yeah Baby...JFT;

The AM looks very nice...but I do have to say the Saturno is special...and from the looks of it...about to be extinct...at least in it's most recent form.

I'm not going to go on and on about this pen...but it really is special. Heck Deirdre has three of them!!! Two of which are the last of breed!

Do yourself the favor...If you don't like it I'll probably buy it from you...

Peter

I'm not going to go on and on about this pen...but it really is special. Heck Deirdre has three of them!!! Two of which are the last of breed!

These are "cold dead fingers" pens for me.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Goodness! Well when you all put it like that, how could I possibly not get this pen? One with a 0.9mm stub is on its way ...

Dear all

My Saturno arrived today. Two days from Italy to Australia - so fast it's almost ridiculous.

First impression was definitely "wow". It's really a very elegant pen. However, my initial pleasure has been somewhat tempered by a bit of a problem: the pen doesn't write. Rather a significant problem really, as far as I'm concerned!

At first I thought I hadn't filled it correctly, but I've since emptied and re-filled it several times and found the ink was definitely being taken up. Given that the problem seemed to be with the nib (?) I tried very, very carefully inserting then removing a thread between the tines. This temporarily got it started, but it's still not working at least 70% of the time. I find if I hold the nib on the paper with slight pressure this gets it started (I think because the ink starts to pool) but it only writes for about half a word before stopping again.

Can anyone suggest anything else I might try? Bear in mind that I'm a newcomer to FPs and not up to any amateur grinding (and really hoping the thread wasn't a completely stupid thing to do).

Or is a trip to a nibmeister the price I have to pay to own a classically beautiful Italian pen? Bit disappointing if it is, as it's no small thing from Australia where (to my knowledge) there aren't any local nibmeisters - I'll probably need to send it to the US.

On the bright side, I've discovered I really like the 0.9 italic nib and when it does write, it seems very smooth. If I can get the problem sorted out, I'm sure I'll love it. Did I mention that it's a very beautiful pen?

I have another smaller question too, for those who own it: if you post the cap, do you find it scratches the ebonite?

Thanks

~Callida

QM2: I hope you don't mind this hijack. I thought about starting a new thread but thought this was relevant to your original request for feedback from owners, particularly for others who may read the thread in future.

Callida, did you buy it from me? Are you the order no. 509....?

I tested the pen as you required, before shipping! And it wrote perfectly! I used green ink, and washed it after use; it's strange it doesn't write, now. Maybe there are air bubbles in the sac...

Try filling and emptying the pen 3 or 4 times, keeping it always immersed in the ink with all the nib length; that way the air should go.

Susanna
----------
Giardino Italiano, il meglio del Made in Italy - www.giardino.it - www.pens.it

My Facebook page
My Blog: blog.giardino.it

QM2: I hope you don't mind this hijack.

not a hijack at all -- Everyone feel free to direct the dialogue any way you wish, in the context of the Stipula Saturno.

my initial pleasure has been somewhat tempered by a bit of a problem: the pen doesn't write. Rather a significant problem really, as far as I'm concerned!

At first I thought I hadn't filled it correctly, but I've since emptied and re-filled it several times and found the ink was definitely being taken up. Given that the problem seemed to be with the nib (?) I tried very, very carefully inserting then removing a thread between the tines. This temporarily got it started, but it's still not working at least 70% of the time. I find if I hold the nib on the paper with slight pressure this gets it started (I think because the ink starts to pool) but it only writes for about half a word before stopping again.

This sounds like an issue that is related to mine, but in your case, much worse. The nib on my pen has a distinct preference to be held on an angle as high as possible off the paper, almost perpendicular. If I hold it at an angle higher than 45degrees, it writes perfectly, but if I hold it low to the paper, it doesn't want to write. Unfortunately, this conflicts with the way I tend to hold pens, which is as low to the paper as possible.

Try raising the angle of the pen and see what happens?

For me, the angle issue will soon be dealt with, because I will send the pen to have the nib altered into a finer and sharper italic. As long as I'll be doing that anyway, the person who handles it will adjust flow as part of the process. But yes, having to send the pen from Australia just for flow adjustment is unfortunate (but not atypical). If you do send it off, I'd suggest Greg Minuskin, who has a shorter waiting period.

I have another smaller question too, for those who own it: if you post the cap, do you find it scratches the ebonite?

On my pen, it does not seem like this would be an issue, as the cap and the bottom of the barrel are both very smooth. When I post the cap, it is a very nice feeling and there seems to be no danger of damage.

Edited by QM2

Well, here is my take on the Saturno. First, let me emphasize this is my opinion about how this pens works for ME.

It is an attractive well made pen with an excellent nib, mine is a simple medium. I have not had any difficulty with with filling system, locking ring or the nib. I do NOT like the clip. IMHO it is too tight and poorly functional. It is usable but for me requires the use of a fingernail to open the clip for insertion into the pocket. The pen is more narrow than my tastes usually run but is very usable. The ebonite is okay as far as ebonite goes but I prefer celluloid. IIRC I got mine about 4 or 5 years ago and paid only around 160-175 USD for it. Even with today's prices, I would not give more than 200 USD for one, but that is me.

Bottom line to me is that it is a well made pen that functions the way it was intended to function. If the aesthetics appeal to you and the pen is the appropriate size for you usage patterns then go for it.

A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."