Stipula Saturno

QM2

http://www.giardino.it/pens/stipula/IMMAGINI/saturnoVaperta.jpg

My first Stipula is on its way! It is the Stipula Saturno from Giardino Italiano. This is a lovely deep-green ebonite flat-top with sterling silver trim and a crescent fill mechanism. I ordered the 1.1 stub. When I first saw this pen for sale, I just could not believe it: It fits my taste in pens so well that it is almost too good to be true. I guess we will see!

In the meanwhile, I have some questions for Saturno owners:

One thing I am wondering, is how is the ebonite on these pens? Is it prone to discolouration and does it require special treatment? I have black modern ebonite pens and vintrage HRs, and they are all very durable. However, I have no experience with Stipula or with coloured ebonite. Should I be more concerned about water and direct light with this pen than with black ebonites?

I am also curious about the filling mechanism. How easy is the crescent filler to operate and rinse out? I have no experience with these as of yet. Are they more complicated than levers? What are some things to keep in mind or watch out for when filling or cleaning?

Anything else you want to tell me about your pen, would be much appreciated! I am particularly interested in whether you use it on a regular basis.

Many thanks!

QM2

Edited by QM2

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• QM2

• Doug C

• callida

• Rufus

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one of my 'grail' pens, I although I want it in the yellow 'mustardy' color that most people think is ugly. I like it.

I have a Chromo, which is it's kin (more or less the same basic design with a sleeve filler instead, and back ebonite with yellow end caps instead of the same color ebonite through the body), and it is very nicely made. There are a few QC issues with it, however, like a clip that extends from the body. It is in Italy right now getting the clip corrected and a new nib.

Mine was new old stock and I'm not sure what will be coming from Pens.it. It did exhibit some tarnishing from sitting for several years. It almost sounds as if they have been making them right until the end at the factory, so yours may benefit from any newer manufacturing processes that Stipula has learned over the years.

As far as the sleeve filler goes, I do have a Visconti Copernicus, and it works perfectly. You just have to remember to let the sac have time to fill completely, but other than that, I love the mechanism.

I plan to get a Saturno soon, and have wanted one for a long time, but one thing to look out for that I remember with the older models: the locking ring on a number of the older ones would turn freely so it would move in and out of the locked position. The one on the Copernicus is very tight, but it is made of either plastic or celluloid (the body is celluloid) whereas the Saturno's is metal.

I'm sure others will add their comments as well (people that actually own the pen!).

Enjoy it, as it is one of the most distinctive pens around. I hope to soon as well.

the Danitrio Fellowship

I just ordered the same pen with the same nib and am awaiting its arrval!

Neat, maybe we can compare notes. Sounds like we may be of the same profession as well.

QM2

I have a Chromo, which is it's kin (more or less the same basic design with a sleeve filler instead, and back ebonite with yellow end caps instead of the same color ebonite through the body), and it is very nicely made. There are a few QC issues with it, however, like a clip that extends from the body. It is in Italy right now getting the clip corrected and a new nib.

I was scared off from buying a Cromo, after someone quite casually posted a picture of their horribly discoloured pen (the ebonite turned an uneven brown-green), which I believe was less than a year old. I tried to find out how this happened to his pen (ie did the person leave it in front of a window for a month straight? Or was he careful with it, yet it happenbed nonetheless?), but he did not seem to have an answer. So I decided to pass. But the pen is so beautiful, that I really wish I could be sure about its stability. I do pine for it when I see it offered for sale. Did yours have any problems with the ebonite?

Mine was new old stock and I'm not sure what will be coming from Pens.it. It did exhibit some tarnishing from sitting for several years. It almost sounds as if they have been making them right until the end at the factory, so yours may benefit from any newer manufacturing processes that Stipula has learned over the years.

Enjoy it, as it is one of the most distinctive pens around. I hope to soon as well.

Thanks Doug. Yes, mine is from the latest batch, so hopefully the glitches have been straightened out by now. I also asked Giardino Italiano to test the pen for me before shipping. I am not so much concerned with the sterling tarnishing, as I am about the uncharted territory of this particular ebonite and the crescent filler.

Oh and I agree with you that the olive version is quite nice as well!

QM2

Edited by QM2

I owned a Saturno with a 1.3 stub nib. A delightful, but not perfect, pen.

The deep green ebonite faded where exposed to light. My office desk is next to a window, and I have a halogen desk lamp. So, the cap and the part of the barrel not covered by the cap faded.

The locking ring is not tight, which was not a problem for me. Some have complained that it spins too easily, theoretically allowing the crescent to depress and empty ink. The ring was also prone to tarnish.

Some complained the clip was too tight. With a slightly different pinching technique (easier than trying to one-hand a Lamy Persona clip) with thumb and forefinger the clip opened and firmly grasped a shirt pocket.

My 1.3 was a paintbrush, and I mean that in the best sense of the word. It always wrote first time, putting down a smooth line right up to the point the pen went dry. The pen was well balanced in the hand with the cap on. And, of course, there was the delightful smell of ebonite.

It was a very good pen that sacrificed itself so that I could buy another. Enjoy.

gary

I was scared off from buying a Cromo, after someone quite casually posted a picture of their horribly discoloured pen (the ebonite turned an uneven brown-green), which I believe was less than a year old. I tried to find out how this happened to his pen (ie did the person leave it in front of a window for a month straight? Or was he careful with it, yet it happenbed nonetheless?), but he did not seem to have an answer. So I decided to pass. But the pen is so beautiful, that I really wish I could be sure about its stability. I do pine for it when I see it offered for sale. Did yours have any problems with the ebonite?

Thanks Doug. Yes, mine is from the latest batch, so hopefully the glitches have been straightened out by now. I also asked Giardino Italiano to test the pen for me before shipping. I am not so much concerned with the sterling tarnishing, as I am about the uncharted territory of this particular ebonite and the crescent filler.

Oh and I agree with you that the olive version is quite nice as well!

QM2

I bought mine from Airline International in El Paso. They had had it for several years, but it was a new pen (as far as I know-the clip being pulled away from the body concerned me a little as far as QC), but I'm guessing it was just sitting in its box for all that time. The ebonite actually looked perfect, both on the black and mottled portions. The only discolorization was with the two silver bands on the cap, and I couldnt seem to get it to look perfect.

We'll see that that looks when I get it back.

the Danitrio Fellowship

I owned a Saturno with a 1.3 stub nib. A delightful, but not perfect, pen.

The deep green ebonite faded where exposed to light. My office desk is next to a window, and I have a halogen desk lamp. So, the cap and the part of the barrel not covered by the cap faded.

Thanks gary, good to have this information. I usually store my pens out of the light when not in use, but will be extra sure to never leave the Saturno on top of my desk at the office accidentally.

I bought mine from Airline International in El Paso. They had had it for several years, but it was a new pen (as far as I know-the clip being pulled away from the body concerned me a little as far as QC), but I'm guessing it was just sitting in its box for all that time. The ebonite actually looked perfect, both on the black and mottled portions.

Very glad to know that the ebonite on the Cromo showed no fading when kept in the box.

Now, I still need to go look up what a sleeve filler is : )

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2187/2349483717_47c31e1b97.jpg

Top one has sleeve filler, bottom one doesn't. I had two (as you can see), but I've only got the one with the sleeve filler at the moment.

Oh, and if I didn't love my Saturnos, I wouldn't have multiples. Only other things I have multiples of: I Castoni, Ventidue, Novecento, Etruria, Vedo, Suprema, Ipsilon, Dot Com.

Edited by Deirdre

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Basically, as Deirdre's photo clearly shows, it is a sac that is encased in a metal 'sleeve'. There is another metal piece on the open side that you press to compress the sac, just like a lever or crescent filler would do.

One odd thing is that it doesnt just slip out of the body. You have to unscrew it from the body to get it to come out completely.

You can also use a converter or cartridge with them.

the Danitrio Fellowship

Basically, as Deirdre's photo clearly shows, it is a sac that is encased in a metal 'sleeve'. There is another metal piece on the open side that you press to compress the sac, just like a lever or crescent filler would do.

One odd thing is that it doesnt just slip out of the body. You have to unscrew it from the body to get it to come out completely.

Wait, so is "sleeve filler" basically a fancy name for a built-in (or, in this case, removable) squeeze-converter?...

Wait, so is "sleeve filler" basically a fancy name for a built-in (or, in this case, removable) squeeze-converter?...

Pretty much.

the Danitrio Fellowship

Pretty much.

Oh!... And here I was, imagining a complex secret compartment that opens up like a sleeve...

Can't say that I am a fan of manual-squeeze-type filling systems. I know that levers basically do the same thing, but somehow it seems different with a lever.

Lovely pen, no problems, one of my best writers....but I swopped it for an Aurora Primavera with Deb McKinney-modified c.i. nib ...prettier, but not nearly as nice to write with.

(I may get another!)

Edited by rogerb

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

UPDATE: I received my pen this morning! Here is a quick report:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The pen is beautiful, yet looks surprisingly practical and understated despite the rich green.

The ebonite is "wow"... very ebonite-like! Nice rubbery smell; lovely softness to the texture.

When the cap posts it is a very soft, smooth feeling; very pleasant to post the cap -- swoosh.

The crescent filler is wicked easy to use: You twist the ring then press, then let go. Nothing to it.

The crescent functions smoothly and the ring is pretty tight on my pen, so all good there.

One of the thin sterling cap bands has a tiny bit of tarnishing, but I don't mind.

May try to get rid of it later, or maybe not.

Giardino Italiano is one classy retailer. They sent a beautiful inkwell "with compliments" as part of my order!

And they tested the pen like I asked; the nib was still moist when I received the pen.

Now, the nib... I need to think how to describe it, because this nib is different from

other pens I own. Is "pillowy" a word? It is soft and seems to have shock absorbers built into it.

A "buttery stub"...

That is all for now, and I am very please with this purchase!

QM2

Edited by QM2

My very sentiments QM 2. I bought a Saturno from Susanna about six months ago purely on spec.; I wanted a crescent filler and an ebonite pen, but I knew nothing about the Saturno. In a nutshell, it's one fantastic pen. I store all my pens in a dark pen case all the time, so the ebonite of the Saturno is pristine. The sterling silver furnishings has tarnished, but that's what silver does and it's very easy to clean. The nib, as you have observed, is something else; I have a medium and it's a truly great writer. The only negative observation I have is that the crescent-filler rattles, but that is not an issue for. The Saturno has been one of my best finds in pendom.

Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

My very sentiments QM 2. I bought a Saturno from Susanna about six months ago purely on spec.; I wanted a crescent filler and an ebonite pen, but I knew nothing about the Saturno. In a nutshell, it's one fantastic pen. I store all my pens in a dark pen case all the time, so the ebonite of the Saturno is pristine. The sterling silver furnishings has tarnished, but that's what silver does and it's very easy to clean. The nib, as you have observed, is something else; I have a medium and it's a truly great writer. The only negative observation I have is that the crescent-filler rattles, but that is not an issue for. The Saturno has been one of my best finds in pendom.

You guys are upsetting me. I've exhausted my funds for the next few months, so I won't be able to take advantage of the pens.it offer.

I guess I'll have to live vicariously through you for now......................

(they sound great).

the Danitrio Fellowship

Now, the nib... I need to think how to describe it, because this nib is different from

other pens I own. Is "pillowy" a word? It is soft and seems to have shock absorbers built into it.

A "buttery stub"...

I've gotten really addicted to that pillowy feeling. :)

And yes, Susanna's wonderful. I just wish the exchange rate were a bit more favorable so I could buy a lot more from her.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

A "buttery stub"...

I've gotten really addicted to that pillowy feeling. :)

And yes, Susanna's wonderful. I just wish the exchange rate were a bit more favorable so I could buy a lot more from her.

I find the nib on my Visconti Van Gogh Maxi has a similar feel, but all-in-all I favour the Saturno nib.

Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill