Lamy 99

BearsPaw

Does anyone know anything about vintage Lamy 99s? I recently received the below pen. It says "Lamy 99" and "36" on the barrel, along with "B" near where the barrel and nib screw together. (I assume that means "broad.") It is a piston filler, and seems to hold quite a bit of ink. It has a very broad and very smooth nib. I forgot to take a picture of the top of the cap, but it has an "L" on it. It's possible that the nib is broader than it should be, because there appears to be a slight gap between the tines. (Look at the shadow of the nib in the second picture.)

I am curious if anyone knows how to date them, and where I might find a finer nib to replace this one. Thanks!

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f110/bearspaw12/lamy_assembled.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f110/bearspaw12/lamy_disassembled.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• piembi

• BearsPaw

• Dib

• PointyThings

The Lamy 99 is kind of a cheaper version of the Lamy 27. Both are vintage pens from the 50s. They are built pretty much the same way, both are piston fillers but I am not sure if the 99 has a gold nib, too. At least I think so. The Lamy 99 does come with a plastic cap.

Check here for the Lamy 27: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=33160

The broad nibs of the vintage Lamys sometimes feel like double broad.

There is no way to find a replacement nib for the pen (out of production for decades) except for looking for another pen.

They show up on ebay Germany frequently and sell for less than 20 Euros, if you are lucky even less than 10 Euros. You can change the whole section or the nib. See description of the 27 - there are pictures of a dissasembled pen.

I have several 27s and the broad or broad oblique nib is the most common nib. Sometimes a medium nib is available, if you are lucky.

Thanks for all the information. I love the look of this pen, it's too bad that the nib is impractical for me to use it much. Maybe if I ever learn how to grind a nib...

Wow I've never seen this pen before. I bet it will be hard to find a replacement nib. Proably better to late a nibmeister make it like you want it!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

http://cgi.ebay.de/Fueller-LAMY-99-Fuellfe...1QQcmdZViewItem

This one has a XF nib.

What nib size are you looking for?

I was looking for a F or XF, so that would be perfect. But, based on my guess at what the German means, he only ships to Germany.

Well, that should not be a problem.

I am living in Germany and could forward the pen to you ....

As far as I understand it the seller simply does not show international shipping costs. Where are you living? I could ask about international shipping.

• 1 year later...

Very nice pen! I´d rencently adquired a Lamy 99, F nib, but its looks like very similar a 27. It´s have a chrome like metal cap and the ink check control windows likes the 27, but it have Lamy 99 inscript on the bodie. Anybodie know about this type. Allways I´d seen 99 with plastic cap. Thanks!!

Rodrigo

• 2 weeks later...

The Lamy 99 was made with a screw on plastic cap (99e) and a slip on metal cap (99Ce) in both lined and unlined chrome-plated finishes.

The 99Ce cap is very similar to the Lamy 27n cap, though I have noticed that the 99Ce cap has a slightly wider "band" at the bottom of the cap than does the 27n.

Also, the 27n and 99Ce caps have slightly different clutch mechanisms inside the cap to accommodate the different clutch rings on the 27 and 99 (Lamy 27 has a wider clutch ring on the barrel; the Lamy 99 has a very thin one).

Edited by KarlBarndt

Visit my new writing instrument buy/sell/trade community: Fountain Pen Classifieds

100% dedicated to making deals better for everyone! And it's FREE!

There are also

99b

99/36

99/37

and the 99S desk pen

Edited by Dib

I search for all pens and informations made in Pforzheim, e.g. Sarastro, Fend

(Potty Mouth) now I have to have a Lamy 27. Curse you all. wink.gif

"If we faked going to the Moon, why did we fake it nine times?" -- Apollo 16 astronaut Charlie Duke

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4009/4447835438_d7314170bf_o.png

(Potty Mouth) now I have to have a Lamy 27. Curse you all. wink.gif

Help is on the way: http://cgi.ebay.com/Lamy-Unused-Vintage-50s-27-30-Fountain-Pen-Black_W0QQitemZ230461371357QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a89173dd#ht_500wt_1182

The seller is offering a series of 50's unused Lamy pens, including 27's, 99's and some older Lamy Artus models.

See also my posting under Market Watch that has some more information on these auctions.

Good luck,

B.

Edited by beluga

I bought my Lamy 99 and 27 from the same seller as well. I've received my pen, and it's great. So far only the 99 is inked, but I like how it writes. It may become one of my daily pens.

man, i don't even have the "cheaper version" (i'm just quoting) of the L27, so i'll have to say: NICE!!! :thumbup:

There are also

99b

99/36

99/37

and the 99S desk pen

Here's the breakdown of what I've learned so far about the Lamy 99:

99e = plastic screw cap (earlier lower-priced version of the 27e)

99Ce = Chrome-plated (lined or smooth) slip cap (earlier lower priced version of the 27n)

99S = desk pen (uses the same nib/feed/hood as above 2)

99/36 = 2nd generation 99 with plastic screw cap

99/37 = 2nd generation 99 with chrome-plated slip cap

The earlier 99 pens (99e, 99Ce, 99S) have a thin, washer-like clutch ring where the section screws into the barrel. The earlier Lamy 27 pens, by comparison, have a wider clutch ring that sets into a channel in the shoulder of the barrel and provides more solid contact with the cap clutch.

Both later 27 and 99 pens with slip caps use a thin, washer-like clutch ring.

Also, neither the 99/36 and 99/37 have a spring-loaded clip like the corresponding 27/31 (which has a plastic slip cap) and the 27/32 (which has a stainless steel slip cap).

The 99/36 has a one-piece pocket clip and clip ring. The 99/37 has a separate clip and clip ring, but the clip is not spring-loaded, like the 27/32. These are some of the cost concessions that make the 99 a slightly cheaper version of the 27.

Lastly, the 2nd generation 99 pens use nibs and feeds (piston assembly, too) that are interchangeable with the Lamy 2000. Still amazes me that a nearly 50-year-old nib/feed design is in use today virtually unchanged.

Edited by KarlBarndt

Visit my new writing instrument buy/sell/trade community: Fountain Pen Classifieds

100% dedicated to making deals better for everyone! And it's FREE!

thanks, Karl!

99b

99 CD

99e

99e

99/36

99/37

and the 99 S

I search for all pens and informations made in Pforzheim, e.g. Sarastro, Fend

Thanks for all the information. I love the look of this pen, it's too bad that the nib is impractical for me to use it much. Maybe if I ever learn how to grind a nib...

You might want to look out for some other 99s or 27s. It should not be too difficult to find them on ebay. You could even buy one which is not in good shape and then just put the nib in your Lamy 99. Good luck!

• 7 years later...