Butcher's Alley wax

Lloyd

What pen materials should never undergo an application of Butcher's Alley wax and why?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lloyd

• Kelly G

• FarmBoy

• Ernst Bitterman

Top Posters In This Topic

Without knowing the composition of Butcher's Wax, I would guess it may contain petroleum derivatives, if that is the case, you don't want it near your pens, it they are plastic or contain plastic parts. The petroleum fractions could soften or dissolve the plastics. I'm not sure of the reaction with HR parts, but it's the not knowing that's a problem.

That's my uninformed personal opinion and it's worth about what you paid for it. I'm sure it's great on bowling alleys.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

What pen materials should never undergo an application of Butcher's Alley wax and why?

For a few dollars you can get some very nice pen wax from www.tryphon.it. I've used both types and they are very nice. The small tub lasts a long time.

I'd be hesitant to try an unknown on a pen I wanted to keep but I have been known to experiment on junk pens from time to time.

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

You are wise to ask before using Butchers.....

Butchers is a floor wax. It has cleaners in it and other stuff, in addition to the wax - it's strong stuff!

There are a number of products out there that are safe to use on pens - Giovanni's polishes and cleaners, and Renaissance wax

I encourage using what is at hand at one level, but there are times when using what is handy has it's risks, especially with vintage pens.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.