"Best" fountain pen under $100?

djmaher

LedZepGirl, thanks for the heads up on the Retro 51 Scriptmasters. I've become a celluloid bigot of late.

I also want to throw in a really good recommendation for Marlen closeouts (e.g. the Nature Series and the Dot Com series, which can be found on eBay). Most of them can be had for < $100, and they are mostly piston fillers with 18k gold nibs (not plated!). None of the colors can be mistaken for tame, but I'm quite taken with mine. One of the Nature series pens is the eye-searing green pen here (I've since sold it and bought one in eye-searing pink instead):

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2209/2243108319_7369e34193.jpg

Edited by Deirdre

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Metric

• finalidid

• Deirdre

• djmaher

So,

If Im trying to buy a pen, and Im after an EF nib, how can one be too sure about buying a pen online? When I got my second Lamy with an EF tip, I discovered it was different that my 1st pen, which I love.

The 1st Lamy had a EF nib, black anodized, which works great for me. The second pen, a Vista, had a EF nib, in chrome, yet it writes decidely thicker than my 1st pen.

Im still trying to trade the chrome nib, for a black anodized nib in the same size, hoping it will be better.

So, if Im looking at a Pelikan M200 (maybe a M150), or a Waterman Philieas as my next pen, how will I know it will be what I really want, without spending the money and then being disappointed? Make sense? Here in Portland, not too many places to try before you buy, hence the online order thing..

I know maybe I should just embrace the differences. Yet, I dont want to spend the money and then not use the pen because I dont like the way it writes.

Are the more expensive pens more consistent, nib wise? If so, does anyone here know of a "loaner" program to try pens out, before you commit to one?

Thanks,

D

Hi all,

Less than $75, actually...

I've been bitten by the FB bad... Not sure it's curable.

I have a couple of Lamys, which I like alot, even though they write differently with the supposed same nib (an EF)

I want to step up a little as I learn to write better, and try different nibs. I've always preferred a EF nib. I like the look, although I understand that the ink often wont show its "true colors" with said size. All part of the learning process, so I would welcome ideas.

For now, I write primarily on Moleskines, with all of their paper inconsistencies, but I love the journals.

Any advice for someone new like me?

I might even get brave and do an ink review, maybe something from the new guy sort of thing....

Thanks in advance for any comments you leave!!

D

.....the Heart has it's reasons, which Reason knows nothing of.....

Pilot VP. Often go used for around that figure and sometimes with modified nibs.

Less than $75, actually...

P51

duh ...

I second the P51 choice. Some of the best EF's I have are P51's. Reliable, fine, good flow - many of the vacs go for a little over $100 (say $120 if restored, but you can hunt for one less and find them with patience or go with a aerometric)! Also Sailor makes great EF's (I would have to say though I prefer the smoother P51), but you would have to find a used one and may not find one under $!00, but close perhaps. Either one is worth the hunt and patience.

Editted to add PS: In reply to trying to find a nib on line that writes the way you like, wait for those who display photos of a writing sample and a very good description like they know pens. Then have a dialogue with the seller. If they don't want to chat, pass on em.

P.S.S. Wait for the Portland pen show or if you are ever in Seattle on the third Sat of the month, come to the Seattle Pen club meeting in Lake Forest Park. Let us know before hand and folks can bring samples they would be willing to let you test out. A wealth of info there.

Edited by MicheleB

We can trust the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. - Immanual Kant

In Kolkata, I regularly see pilot vanishing points with 14k nibs for 40-45$range and with steel nibs for $10 around..they are excellent. But I will go for A 51 aero or a 75... both are simply too good. Though my fav is a parker vacumatic with

xf nib which I bought for $35 from a flea market.

You should be able to find a Lamy 2000 just under $100. It's very nice, just look at all the reviews of it here.

You should be able to find a Lamy 2000 just under $100. It's very nice, just look at all the reviews of it here.

I would have mentioned the L2k also, but the OP mentioned "under $75, actually," which does put it just a bit out of range. However, $75 is certainly enough to score a nice P51, which is in many ways the 1940's version of the L2k...

The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise. -- Tacitus