"Best" fountain pen under $100?

djmaher

Hi all,

Less than $75, actually...

I've been bitten by the FB bad... Not sure it's curable.

I have a couple of Lamys, which I like alot, even though they write differently with the supposed same nib (an EF)

I want to step up a little as I learn to write better, and try different nibs. I've always preferred a EF nib. I like the look, although I understand that the ink often wont show its "true colors" with said size. All part of the learning process, so I would welcome ideas.

For now, I write primarily on Moleskines, with all of their paper inconsistencies, but I love the journals.

Any advice for someone new like me?

I might even get brave and do an ink review, maybe something from the new guy sort of thing....

Thanks in advance for any comments you leave!!

D

.....the Heart has it's reasons, which Reason knows nothing of.....

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Metric

• finalidid

• Deirdre

• djmaher

If you like EFs, I urge you to try the Japanese pens. I think there are a few Sailors and Pilots out there that are relatively inexpensive and good writers. Try some of the Asian outlets or even Ebay (if you go with engeika, Kamakura pens, Japan antique - they all provide good and honest service).

Good luck! Just wait until you step up to the higher prices - which I bet will be soon... :unsure:

Erick

Using right now:

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike, Waldmann Tango "F" nib running Pelikan Königsblau

Sheaffer Crest "F" nib running Narwhal Carmel Sea Blue, Sailor Cylint "M" nib running J. Herbin Caroube de Chipre,

Gioia Alleria "F" nib running Colorverse CAT Glistening 

If you go to isellpens.com (no affiliation) you can find a variety of high end pens discounted to $75 or under. I know the Pelikan M200 and the Lamy Studio (if you don't already own it) are both excellent pens at great deals on the site. However if you like an EF nib (like me) you'll have to dish out an extra $15 to get an EF nib for the Pelikan. Still, I think it would be around $80 with pen, nib, and SH. Hope you find something good. I know I've been bitten by the bug too (four FPs in two months :rolleyes: ).

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

dj - If you like EF, and for that price range...I'd say do a little creative eBaying and find a nice Pilot Vanishing Point with a fine nib. I got mine for about $75 or $80, a slate Grey. Ideally, go to a bricks and mortar store near you and hold one; the weight of the pen, and the clip placement, is not everyone's cup o' tay (but it really should be). The Japanese F is anyone else's XF.

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

Check the marketplace here. I think someone was selling a VP with a medium, but you can probably pick up a fine or extra fine nib assembly from Richard Binder and still keep to under $100.

Pelikan M200. $55 at ISellPens, leaves plenty left over to get an extra fine nib.

Go to Ujuku's 'bay store, you can find a lot of Pilot, Platinum, Sailor pens. They are in Japan, but you will still get a good deal, shipping is very reasonable. The Japanese pens with Fine and Extra Fine nibs are just that. They don't speak English well, but they are a reliable company. Their website is hard to navigate, but you'll find good things there, too. There are several pen models well under $100.

usual disclaimer, not affiliated with the aforementioned vendors, just a satisfied customer.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

D-

Less than $75, actually...D

Vintage or Modern?

Sorry, there is no known cure.

I have a couple of Lamys, which I like alot, even though they write differently with the supposed same nib (an EF)

Not a problem. There can be a lot of variation even between nibs of the same type. Consider it character that you don't get from a ball point.

I want to step up a little as I learn to write better, and try different nibs. I've always preferred a EF nib. I like the look, although I understand that the ink often wont show its "true colors" with said size. All part of the learning process, so I would welcome ideas.

One pen lots of nib choices--Sounds like an Esterbrook and few Renew points. Easily done under $75.

You are welcome. AND Welcome to the madness and enjoy your pens.

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Retro 51 Scriptmasters aren't bad. They are made of celluloid and look like deco era pens. They cost $75. I'm real happy with mine, I just wish I would've gotten a finer nib.

If you're interested in vintage pens you have loads of options. If you play your cards right you can get some really nice old pens for less than $50 if you're willing to do some minor repairs. Parker Challengers, Parkettes, Sheaffer Balances, Esterbrooks, Parker 21's, even Duofolds and Vaccumatics. (I'm partial to Parkers) :headsmack: I haven't paid more than $50 for a vintage pen yet. I'd start with an Esterbrook though, lots of colour and nib options.

Edited by LedZepGirl

I'd rather spend my money on pens instead of shoes and handbags.

>>> My Blog <<<

As I look over my vast collection of fountain pens accumulated over the last 35 years I can answer this question with the confidants and knowledge that has been painfully gained through the usage of thousands of gallons of fountain pen ink, running through my ink stained fingers, which has flowed through countless nibs from broad to xxxxxxx-fine, and the answer is anything you buy. That's right, I said it.

In has been my experience that cheep, steel nibbed pens made by the likes of Parker, Pelikan, Lamy, Waterman, Pilot, Sailor, and in the good old days Mont Blanc consistently blow the doors off expensive pens on a price per performance ration. Blind folded tests done by the University of Liechtenstein using monkeys confirm this finding. So go get the one you like the looks of the best.

Edited by Steven

Avatar painting by William-Adolphe Bouguereau (1825 - 1905) titled La leçon difficile (The difficult lesson)

Reform.... Or Pelikan M200 series

RAPT

Pens:Sailor Mini, Pelikan Grand Place, Stipula Ventidue with Ti Stub nib, Pelikan M605 with Binder Cursive Italic, Stipula Ventidue with Ti M nib, Vintage Pilot Semi-flex, Lamy Vista, Pilot Prera

For Sale:

Saving for: Edison Pearl

In my dreams: Nakaya Piccolo, custom colour/pattern

In transit:

For me the Parker Fronteir is just a great writer, nice looking and well under $100.

Poxy

Life is like a 10 speed bike, Most of us have gears we never use. Charles Schulz

I'd second a user grade Parker "51". Actually you could get a pretty decent one for that price. Why not a few esterbrooks? You could pick up a few different nibs and find one you like. A Bexley simplicity or BX701 could be a good choice too. Lastly, maybe a Pelikan White Tortoise from Pam Braun, it's right at $100, but well worth it!

Edited by penguinmaster

My Site: Pens and Ink

Philip Hull Memories Scan

Looking for: ...

I have to throw in my vote for an Esterbrook as well. I have a J with 9450 and 3550 extra fine renew points. The 9450 works perfect in Moleskine Cahiers, I have not tried the 3550 in one yet. They both have their own unique but pure extra fine lines. You can find a Esterbrook J with a 9450 from $15-50 depending on where you look and what condition it is in. You can get a working condition one for certain around $20! So pick up three then, they will last and you wont regret it!!

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

Hi all,

Less than $75, actually...

For now, I write primarily on Moleskines, with all of their paper inconsistencies, but I love the journals.

Any advice for someone new like me?

I might even get brave and do an ink review, maybe something from the new guy sort of thing....

D

EFs are a great choice for Moleskines! In addition to Todd's site, you might give Pam Braun (www.oscarbraunpens.com) a shout if you're interested in a VP or an M200. She has great prices.

What do you mean by "step up a little"? Fancier -- or more traditional -- looking pens? Heavier pens? Smaller but more colorful? Gold nibs? "Different nibs" -- broader nibs, even though you've traditionally preferred extra-fine nibs? A cursive italic or stub? You might, if you stick with yr EF preference, try a Pilot Prera or (more inexpensive than your Lamys!) Pilot 78-G or a Hero. It's a big luck of the draw thing, but I like my Hero 187, even though others have had problems with it. What do you like best about your Lamys?

Sometimes I scare myself thinking of all the pens (most well under $75 at that time) and inks I bought in the first flush of newbie enthusiasm, but then I think, well, how otherwise would I have learned what I prefer? As you say, all part of the learning process. Welcome and looking forward to your ink review.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

If all my pens were to vanish overnight and I had exactly $75 to replace them, I'd be looking for a nice Parker 51 tomorrow.

The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise. -- Tacitus

Aurora Ipsilon.

If you can find one: a Pilot/Namiki Vanishing Point.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Pilot Prera F-Nib! GREAT little work horse, and one of my favs.

Also a Pelikan M205 'cause it's pretty and writes well.

Second on Aurora Ipsilon. I got an Ipsilon de Luxe for $60 new off the 'Bay a couple weeks back and couldn't be happier with it - it's a fine pen, and my current daily writer. But Parker 51 aerometric is no slouch either. New or vintage, either are fab!

Edited by Robert Hughes

The moment we want to believe something, we suddenly see all the arguments for it, and become blind to the arguments against it.

~ Bernard Shaw.

I have to agree with the folks who chimed in with the Esterbrook J recommendation. After the P51, I'd have to say it's the best "economy utilitarian" pen. Especially if you can get a Binder-ized nib or two.

I have an Esterbrook Dollar Pen with a 9556 fine nib. It's a smooth writer with just the right tactile feel and a light classic body. The line's finer than some of my XF-nibbed pens including the Lamy 2000 (duh), Parker 75, and Pelikan M150.

You are what you write

More than you are what you say

But, do more than write

(my haiku)

-----------------------------------

- No affiliation with any vendors or manufacturers mentioned above.

- Edits done for grammatical purposes only.