MB ball point vs roller ball vs fine liner

mb1988

I'm considering a mb meisterstuck pen in either (i) ball point (ii) roller ball (iii) fine liner - but don't know which i should buy

(i) I'm currently using a cartier ball point with a parker refill - but find that writing with it, although reliable and trouble-free, is quite boring and unexciting...i'm not particularly fond of the colour either...

Q: How is the mont blanc ball point in comparison

(ii) I recently bought a uniball rollerball - which writes extremely smoothly and comes in a great shade of blue - however, it has the down side of not being a particularly attractive pen...

Q: How is the mont blanc roller ball - I have heard that mb roller refills have a reputation of skipping?

(iii) finally, does anyone have experience of the fine liner refill - would you recommend it over the roller ball?

Any advice/opinions would be much appreciated!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dubhe

• Chrissy

• mb1988

• C95

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the resin Starwalker ball pen, and a few Parkers. The black refill works well, but the colour is not exactly black. Next to another black ball pen it looks like dark silvery blue. I quite like this because it looks like the night sky, very apt for the name of the pen. You could try a parker gel refill in your cartier?

In the shop I had a close look at the Meisterstuck and Le Grande before deciding on the Starwalker. This was because the Meisterstuck's barrel seemed to be a bit thin, with plastic threads. Although, the salesman told me that he had kept his Meisterstuck ball pen in his trouser pockets for 10 years and not had a problem, I had a look at it, and there wasn't even any plating wear. The Le Grande had metal threads and seemed nice and rugged, but was a bit too big for me.

I've used a Meisterstuck RB for about 4 years and currently have that, a Starwalker BP and RB and a Carbon & Steel BP. They are all fine pens. The only problem with the rollerballs, isn't leaking, its accumulating ink "snot." I'm assuming this is from writing on cheap paper (it happened at work). The Montblanc RB refills are expensive though and don't have a real long life expectancy. But other than a Rotring 600, there are no other RB's I'd use.

I agree with BurkStar about the longevity of MB rollerball refills.

I'm generally not crazy about MB refills and inks. The rollerball... maybe it's the pressure I use (or lack thereof), but I tend to get frustrated with the fancy brands of rollerballs; I fhind them to be skippy in general and across the board, whereas, the cheap Pilot Gel .7, for instance, just flows. (But of course I keep those on hand at work only for others to use when I'm asked if I have a pen....)

I have a resin StarWalker BP, too, and I do like that one -- the weight and balance, and I even like the refill. I have noticed a variation in the refills, however. Since I seldom write at length using BPs, it isn't an issue.

As for felt tips -- years ago (YEARS!), I liked using them, but then I became aware that I was trying not to wreck the tips, which impeded my enjoyment when using them (they were the runnathemill felt-tips).

I keep a BP handy for writing through carbonless copy paper and otherwise use FPs. (I realize that this is irrelevant to your question. !)

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

thanks for all the responses so far!

I've tried the gel refill...was initially very reliable, and left a great line. But now it constantly skips...which is a nuisance when I need to make quick notes. I don't recommend the parker - if anyone is a fan of the gels...you really can't go wrong with the pilot!

I also just tried out some Bic ball point refills that are compatible with parker pens - this is the best ball point i've used!! But the only problem is I bought them in Dubai and they don't seem to be available on the internet either! (This is kinda unrelated seeing as this post is ultimately to find which mb refill is the best...but hopefully useful nevertheless)

ethernautrix: "I'm generally not crazy about MB refills and inks" - what inks do you use instead?

fair point on the fine liner refill...i tend to press hard (i'm too used to using a ball pen) - so that would probably damage it in the long run

also, since you mentioned FPs...that's an entirely new topic there...I have a parker 45 which I just starting using today - it's inspired me to consider mb FPs - but i'll consider that after i've bought the ball point or roller ball first!!

FPs definitely have that enjoyment factor - but i find them too impractical for daily use

The rollerball has a close to fountain pen "wet" look finish. The ball point is much more of a dry ink finish and the fineliner appeals to people who have a laid back style of writing that makes the rollerball seem scratchy, ie not over the rolling ball exactly.

MB ballpoint refills in black are not very dark colored but the blue is quite pleasing to the eye.

The rollerball and fineliner refills are both truer in colour in my experience.

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society"......Mark Twain

• 9 years later...

So the black ballpoint is disappointing! How can You pay so much a refill that doesn't write a true deep black? Thank You for the advice,what ballpoint would You recommend with such a quality as a very dark coloured refill?

Montblanc RB refills are generally good, and there are 2 types. The standard version fits Starwalker, Boheme and Classic pens and the Le Grand refill only fits Le Grand sized pens. The larger refills last longer.

Their Fineliner refill is also very good and fits the first 3 types of pen mentioned above. They seem to be easier to write with than RB refills.

Note most RB pens like FP's will only write when you remove the cap.

Ballpoints are twist action pens. So with those you won't have a cap to take care of while you're writing.

There is also the option of a capless rollerball, which I find writes better than the standard rollerball. I didn’t get on with fineliner as found it wore down quickly and became too broad.

There is also the option of a capless rollerball, which I find writes better than the standard rollerball. I didn’t get on with fineliner as found it wore down quickly and became too broad.

I don't know of a capless Montblanc RB. What model is that?

I have the artfineliner which is an Extrafine. It is great for technical diagrams and small notes.

Hoever the tip is fragile. I cannot lend it to others (always a good philosophy)

It is the best fineliner I have used so far.

• 2 weeks later...

So deepest black colour belongs to the rollerball or fineliner. In broad version they shouldn 't be scratchy anymore! But I wonder, isn't the line quite fussy? Usually ballpoints have a much more defined and precise line

The BP ink has changed over the years. They don’t last as long, they skip and are expensive.

The RB ink is nice but runs out way to quick to be an everyday pen, again triple the price it was 10 years ago, with half the life.

The FL is the same, nice, dries out quickly and expensive. They used to sell a box of 10 refills, now they sell 2 in a box for almost the same cost.

I have dozens of MB - RB-BPs and only use their FPs and MPs.

Montblanc RB refills are generally good, and there are 2 types. The standard version fits Starwalker, Boheme and Classic pens and the Le Grand refill only fits Le Grand sized pens. The larger refills last longer.

Their Fineliner refill is also very good and fits the first 3 types of pen mentioned above. They seem to be easier to write with than RB refills.

Note most RB pens like FP's will only write when you remove the cap.

Ballpoints are twist action pens. So with those you won't have a cap to take care of while you're writing.

There’s actually four types of RB refills, the small and the capless refills for the M.... and then you have the Mozart refills.

I have a Starwalker BP and a Classic M Ballpen which has a broken Barrel. that pen is known a bit vulnerability to crack I heard. I am now looking for a barrel to get it fixed.

BP pens are expensive to use and the quality writing comparing to the other pens of mine, they are lying down among other fountain pens.

I picked up a Hemingway BP and as its much much cheaper than the FP Ive been using it for a while to see if I like the colour scheme etc.

I have reminded myself why I dont like BP! Its horrible to write with.

I use a Monteverde rollerball refill that fits my MB BALLpoint pen. Best combo so far b/c I can get it in a fine point. I really hated the MB BP refills.

I have many MB BPs and RBs. I like the RBs because they are more like an FP. However, I find myself using the BPs on a daily basis. One of the first things I did with my BPs was to get rid of the boring M refills and replace them with broad refills. I really like the MB broad refills. I have also used the Monteverde RB refills and they are fine, but I just do not use them as much as my RBs. Of course what I use even more often than my BPs are my MB MPs.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer