moleskine pocket cashier cover

widdors

I picked up a package of the pocket cashiers the other day, and it's a great little notebook to have in my back pocket. But in spite use packing tape to reinforce the cover, I'm a little concerned about the longevity. I did some searching and see that there are several leather covers available for the moleskines but I'm not having any luck finding one for the cashier. I'm just looking for something thin and that will fit close so it doesn't change the dimensions too much. Do any of you know where to find one, or will I need to have something custom made?

Thanks,

widdors

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• widdors

• kiavonne

• tar heel

• Grog

If you actually keep it in your pocket it will fall apart (well, mine always have). I treat the cahiers as disposable so I don't bother with any "real" covers. Sometimes I use black duct tape so that it mostly looks the same, but that does have a tendency to pull up on the corners and then stick to my pockets. I have heard/seen others using gaffer's tape on their pocket moleskines. That is expensive for a roll, but it would probably be the most effective for either the hard back or the cahier to add some longevity to it if you are going to be taking it in and out of your pocket (or, like me, in and out of the back pocket that you are also sitting on).

If you actually keep it in your pocket it will fall apart (well, mine always have). I treat the cahiers as disposable so I don't bother with any "real" covers. Sometimes I use black duct tape so that it mostly looks the same, but that does have a tendency to pull up on the corners and then stick to my pockets. I have heard/seen others using gaffer's tape on their pocket moleskines. That is expensive for a roll, but it would probably be the most effective for either the hard back or the cahier to add some longevity to it if you are going to be taking it in and out of your pocket (or, like me, in and out of the back pocket that you are also sitting on).

I appreciate the response. I too am looking to treat the cashiers as disposable, but I'm hoping to use them as a planner as well as a place to jot down notes, to do lists, and things of interest. I figured if I had something similar to a checkbook cover it would keep the book together better for the 3-4 months I would like to use one for. After that I would swap in a new cashier.

I talked to my brother-in-law tonight, he and his father do taxidermy and leatherwork, and he said he could probably put something together for me. He is doing a shoulder mount on a waterbuck for a client right now and wants to use a piece of that hide for the cover. Only thing is he would leave the hair on it, and I don't know how I feel about pulling a hairy notebook out of my back pocket. Any opinions?

widdors

General interest announcement:

Sorry to be the annoying French speaker here, but it's

CAHIER

which in French means notebook

not CASHIER which doesn't make sense for a notebook.

I've seen this typo made many times and I'm now moved to intervene!

Otherwise, I also treat them as temporary, so I don't bother covering them. I feel like a cover would be about as thick as the books, which would reduce their functionality for me.

I had to read your post a couple of times before I caught the difference in spelling and then checked the moleskine website because I couldn't believe I had looked at it wrong so many times. Thanks for the heads up, it makes a lot more sense now. I thought cashier was a funny name for a notebook.

Did you try a passport cover?

After your reply I looked at a lot of covers on line, but I'm not sure I want to have to cut my notebooks before I can put the cover on. If I run into one local, though, I'll probably buy it and give it a shot.

Perhaps try wrapping it using Tyvek. Tyvek is a very strong material used for envelopes and I think u can get it free from the Post Office in the US. Another material that could be used is clear vinyl.

Instructions on how to wrap book here:

http://leewm.freeshell.org/pocketmod/how-to-wrap-book.GIF

rgds

weemeng

This is a good idea that would keep the size down, I'll have to try it.

Thanks for the replies.

widdors

• 2 weeks later...

One of our little know secrets is that we are making leather covers for the Cahier notebooks on a request only basis at the moment. You can PM me for details.

Arthur

www.renaissance-art.com

I had to read your post a couple of times before I caught the difference in spelling and then checked the moleskine website because I couldn't believe I had looked at it wrong so many times. Thanks for the heads up, it makes a lot more sense now. I thought cashier was a funny name for a notebook.

You are not the only one who has made this mistake.

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

One of our little know secrets is that we are making leather covers for the Cahier notebooks on a request only basis at the moment. You can PM me for details.

I just ordered one of these, and I'm pretty excited! I'll update this thread with thoughts and pics after the cover arrives.

Holy Cow that was fast! I ordered from Renaissance Art saturday afternoon and I already have the custom made cover! As promised here are some pics.

Side by side with an uncovered cahier

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff140/widdors/DSC_7497.jpg

Photo (trying to) show difference in thickness

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff140/widdors/DSC_7498.jpg

And one showing the book opened flat

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff140/widdors/DSC_7502.jpg

I'm very pleased with this cover, it seems like it will last forever. It does add some bulk to the small cahiers, but it's thinner than my wallet that I carry in my other back pocket, so maybe it will be good for my spine to boot. I think it will help the cahiers to hold up better, and it's very classy to pull out of my pocket in a meeting or at church, instead of a wrinkled cardboard cover.

Now that is a very nice cover. Thanks for the pictures for comparison. The cover really doesn't seem too bulky. I like it!

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

Now that is a very nice cover. Thanks for the pictures for comparison. The cover really doesn't seem too bulky. I like it!

Thanks, they did an awesome job on it, I'm very excited about it. Maybe after your slopes are finished you'll need something else to chase! :D

Thanks, they did an awesome job on it, I'm very excited about it. Maybe after your slopes are finished you'll need something else to chase! :D

:roflmho:

You pegged me.

Um, I have already traveled the road to RenArt, as a customer of theirs for about 3 years now. Come on, time to catch up! :D

Edited by kiavonne

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship