• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blue_Moon

• Manalto

• Oldtimer

• cbaytan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is an unfair answer as I haven't reviewed all pens on the market but based on my 20-some pens collection, on the upper tier, my Pelikan 600 wins hands down over my MB, Conway Stewart and Visconti HS. Right size, great balance, hard nib (sorry, I like that), and no leaks or ink nib creeping even on a plane. And, of course, Pelikan sweetly outdated look.

On the lower tier, TWSBI (both the 540 and Micarta v2) and Lamy are my absolute best.

Cheers,

Pierre

For me personally, i like Sheaffer, because they make entry-level pens such as the Sheaffer 300 which is very smooth, reliable, and despite a few fall still working perfectly. Furthermore, they still produce inlaid nibed pens such as the Legacy Heritage and Valor, which is what they're known for. So they have pretty decent entry level pens as well as gorgeous inlaib nib higher-end pens.

BTW : I do have a Lamy Safari, but i prefer the Sheaffer as the nib is a little smoother, plus the section is rounded, and it looks and feels expensive.

Jeremiah

Factory mass produced pens and handmade and tested before sold pens are like apples and oranges. The best pen I am sure of would be a Nakaya Decapod customised for me by John Mattishaw. I am sure there are lot better ones out there.

One boring blue, one boring black 1mm thickness at most....

Then there are Fountain Pens with gorgeous permanent inks..

Hello,

For me, Lamy is one of the best, they may not have the most "classic" designs, but their nibs are fantastic even in the lower tiers.

Nick

Get out the tar and feathers for me, but honestly I've had several Lamy pens and none of them have done a thing for me. I wonder if I have some sort of mutant writing style or something, but every Lamy I've picked up has been stiff as heck, scratchy, draggy, masses of feedback and just unpleasant in my hand. One Lamy safari I have vibrates and drags so badly I swear I can feel it up into my shoulder. Just not a pleasant experience for me. Obviously I'm in a minority, because they are a very well respected and loved brand, just not for me.

ETA: I also am a self-avowed magpie and Lamy's very understated linear modern design just generally doesn't push my 'ooh SHINY' button. :(

Edited by AnnieB123

montblanc, pelikan, omas, montegrappa, stipula, cleo, krone, marlen, mercury, conid, sailor, danitrio and nakaya

add to the list conway stewart, bexley, ralph prather, torelli, kullock and chris thompson custom made pens

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 7 months later...

I will be perfectly honest... more than anything else, it depends on you. Do you like tall pens, short pens, fat pens, skinny pens, heavy pens, light pens, wet pens, dry pens, expensive pens, cheap (but well-made) pens? These factors can influence what you see as being a "good brand". So for me, I have had great experiences with a number of pens, and I have had less than favorable experiences with others. I believe that the reasons for this have more to do with me than they do with the pen brands I have written with.

All that being said, the brands I have enjoyed are Visconti, Omas, Pelikan and Edison. Once I have a chance to test out my England made pens, I may have to add to that list.

In terms of value only I would have to say Lamy I find the nib on my safari amazing at the price point.

Probably Pelikan for overall best nib

Ha a year on with a lot more experience definitely not lamy!

Based on my experience, I would have to vote Pilot. They have very consistent quality control and great pens in all price ranges.

Edited by discopig

As far as manufacture and build quality go, I'd opt for Aurora, Pelikan, Pilot, and Sailor.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain

It may break the bank on the price side, but ST Dupont has my vote. The Chinese Lacquer finish is incredibly durable, the nibs are buttery smooth, and the quality is unsurpassed. The price is the only thing I would change, the weak dollar has made these pens more expensive in recent months. Deals are still out there, though.

Steve

I have to agree here. The quality of the S.T. Dupont is higher than any other brand I have come across PERIOD.

My reasoning is thus:

The problem with many other luxury makers is that they make pens that simply look pretty, but there are little details that are left on the crappy side. for example, the caps screw on imperfectly each and every time, the weight is not perfectly balanced, there are marks that would denote injection moulding, and the nibs are not of the highest quality and are made to be ostentatious.

I hate that "precious resin exists" it is plastic, and frankly I hate plastic. I have many plastic pens that I love, but I doubt that I could ever consider one to be the best currently made. So, The brass and real lacquer of the S.T. Dupont really appeals to me as well.

I

Pens: 1929 Parker Duofold Sr., Parker "51" Special, S.T. Dupont Montparnasse, Lamy 2000, Platinum #3776 "C," TWBSI 580, Lamy Safari Neon Yellow, Sheaffer, Feathertouch, Targa and Targa Slim

I have to agree here. The quality of the S.T. Dupont is higher than any other brand I have come across PERIOD.

My reasoning is thus:

The problem with many other luxury makers is that they make pens that simply look pretty, but there are little details that are left on the crappy side. for example, the caps screw on imperfectly each and every time, the weight is not perfectly balanced, there are marks that would denote injection moulding, and the nibs are not of the highest quality and are made to be ostentatious.

I hate that "precious resin exists" it is plastic, and frankly I hate plastic. I have many plastic pens that I love, but I doubt that I could ever consider one to be the best currently made. So, The brass and real lacquer of the S.T. Dupont really appeals to me as well.

I

"Precious resin" is a bad literal translation of the terms edel and harz. It is a term that was applied to many products over the years. In fact Faber-Castell has also used the term.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

Montblanc and Waterman.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

"Best" is such a subjective term.

I have gotten great pens from Pelikan, Parker, Pilot and other brands. NO ONE has a corner on best as everyone's experience is different. There are no "best" pens as the OP uses the term. A lot of very good pens though.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

My reasoning is thus:

I

You do make a good point and I agree with you that S.T. Dupont does some pretty amazing things, that I have seen from no other manufacturer but I am not sure this alone makes them the definitive best fountain pens. I for one do not generally like metal pens or heavy pens. They are nice writers but I think their nibs are a bit boring.

Love the threading inside this pen...it reminds of a how a Rolls Royce conceals its exhaust pipes...god forbid you see anything unpleasant.

post-98793-0-96617900-1403573489.jpg

I don't know why Parker is not mentioned, but it's Parker.

Design: The design is way better than any other pens. Black body with gold trims... it's wonderful.

Nib: Gold or steel nib. Never skips and it's kind of flexible.

Quality: Don't even need to talk about it. Take a microscope, you'll never see a bad quality in any parts.

Price: Many over $100, but really cheap. The reason why it's considered cheap when it's >$100 is: The pen is so well made that it should have a price tag of $1,000,000.

Parker is the best. No doubt. I'm not biased. It's a fact.

Sorry if you are not a Parker fan.

-William S. Park

Edited by william2001

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

I don't know why Parker is not mentioned, but it's Parker.

Parker is the best. No doubt. I'm not biased. It's a fact.

-William S. Park

See comment above about subjectivity. Everyone's entitled to his/her own opinion.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!