Einstein's Pen

Jared

QUOTE(Johnny Appleseed @ Feb 2 2008, 06:38 AM) 500269[/snapback]
With backwards time travel in mind, who hasn't wished they could travel back in time to purchase a few choice pens when they were brand new?

Yea, but you would just get busted for trying to pass off dollar bills that were dated 2006 - and nobody would take them anyway.

John

I'd purchase vintage money--not too hard to do, and quite worth the trouble given what you'd be able to purchase with it.

Jared

Depending on how far you went back, the older money would be much larger than today's bills.

I better idea might be to check the stock market, baseball games or the horse races and then bet on the winners, especially when the odds were very high. You would have to be very care and selective so as to not draw attention to any consistent series of wins or miraculous purchases.

Amass your own fortune, buy whatever you wanted, including gold ($35.00/ounce in 1935?), put it in a safety deposit box in a bank branch still around today and then make yourself an heir to your own fortune.

Just think of the episodes of the Twilight Zone you could write (with whatever pen you wanted). Keep in mind though that anything you did would change history and therefore change the present. In fact, you might not even exist.

So, time travel, even if/when possible might not be a wise move!!

Being practical can be so annoying for dreamers!

Now about muliple dimensions and parallel universes..... :roller1: :roller1: :roller1: :eureka: :eureka: :eureka:

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jared

• ANM

• Noh

• andybiotic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My late Uncle Charlie was an undergrad at Princeton. He knew Professor Einstein casually. His daughter, apparently,

took good care of him. She checked her father before he left home. Tie straight ? Waistcoat buttoned ? Shoes tied ?

She put the fountain pen into his pocket.

Uncle Charlie once remarked, " Think what the world lost, every time he reached for his pen, to write down a thought,

and it wasn't there. "

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I have just looked through Andreas Lamgrou's Fountain Pens book and the only pens i can find with a high crown shaped like his are Sonnecken Rheingold, Pekikan Ibis, and Pelikan 100. One of the Sonneckens had three rings but they were not the same width and the pen was not black.

Edited by ANM

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

• 1 year later...

While we're on this topic, here is a photo of the pen Einstein used to write out his research on the Theory of Relativity. He gave it to his friend Paul Ehrenfest in 1921 when Ehrenfest became a professor at the University of Leiden.

http://www.museumboerhaave.nl/maandobjecten/2002-okt.html

Just dropping by to mention that this FP is now displayed at the exhibition 'Einstein and Friends' in Leiden (The Netherlands) untill January 2016.

http://www.museumboerhaave.nl/english/exhibitions/einstein-friends/

S.

• 2 months later...

I don't see the same fountain pen in that link. It looks like an old eyedropper Waterman 22 taper cap and box.

• 9 months later...

I'm resuscitating this thread this thread to say that many in the U/S. at this time were supporting a boycott of German products in protest of the Nazi's both physical assaults and civil rights deprivation of Jewish Germans. I'm left wondering why Einstein, a man who fled a Germany gone insane, would purchase a Pelikan made post-1933.

Edited by k3eax

Christ, we're so nerdy there's no hope for us...

HaHa!

I don't know why stuff like this fascinates me. Maybe because a pen is personal to me so I assume (wrongly) that it is the same to other people.

Meanwhile the vast majority don't care - it's just something that writes. Maybe you could have a pen and not know or care what country it came from? Maybe Einstein was occupied with other thoughts and never thought twice about his pen?