Converting Big Red BP to a FP

benB

Any tips on how to convert the Big Red BP/felt-tip from the '70s into a fountain pen?

I've searched the forum and can't find it.

I recall seeing the info before, and that there is a chap who frequents pen shows that has a "kit" or something to help with this. Does this ring any bells?

If not, does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ac12

• pajaro

• usk15

• jcfiguet

Top Posters In This Topic

well the only way is the most odvious one. get a cheap red one fountain pen or even by pieces and make a new one. problem is that you will need almost the whole thing for the ink reservoir, nib etc... if the barrel is very good shape, keep it but it but it is almost better to get a new red one from ebay. they are at not so dear prices sometimes but be careful with ebay. too... :thumbup:

Edited by ppenloverr

Regards

p p e n l o v e r r

The directions for converting a Big Red Ball Point to a FP uses a Parker 45. They are to be found in the Pennant, vol. XV, No. 3 Winter 2001, page 17. The article was written by Paul R. Todd and is entitled "The Parker Big Red-45 Conversion". One also needs a 6mm x 1.0 pitch tap to thread the "nose" of the BP (after trimming to the correct length) to accept the nib unit. That and some time, a razor saw, contact cement and a willingness to destroy the shell of the P45 to get to the feed unit which when installed correctly, will accept the cart. or converter. Hope this helps.

The directions for converting a Big Red Ball Point to a FP uses a Parker 45. They are to be found in the Pennant, vol. XV, No. 3 Winter 2001, page 17. The article was written by Paul R. Todd and is entitled "The Parker Big Red-45 Conversion". One also needs a 6mm x 1.0 pitch tap to thread the "nose" of the BP (after trimming to the correct length) to accept the nib unit. That and some time, a razor saw, contact cement and a willingness to destroy the shell of the P45 to get to the feed unit which when installed correctly, will accept the cart. or converter. Hope this helps.

If you have trouble finding a 6mmx1.0 tap, I can lend you one...

An obvious non-destructive alternative is fitting a compatible nib assembly. I was playing around and I found that the Cross Solo (a pen with a superb nib) is a near perfect fit. Less perfect, with a bit of stepping between barrel and section, is the Pilot 78G.

The problem with ideas is that good ideas and bad ideas look about the same until you put them into practice.

Thanks to one and all. Now I just need to decide which method to use...Are reprints of the PENnant available only to members? What about past ones--I let my membership lapse.

Just swapped a Cross Solo section into a Big Red BP for my daughter.... makes a much nicer looking pen and it was a perfect fit....

Thanks for the info.... she loves it...

One conversion of the modern Big Red ball point involves using a Parker 75 nib assembly... such as the Mandarin Yellow one shown on the left in the photo below.

http://www.la-tierra.com/prather/Pkr-75-Customs.jpg

This was done by Lynn Sorgats several years ago and the process is a bit complex... don't know if he is still doing any of these or not.

Also, seems there was a kit (adapter) to convert ball point to roller ball also... ralph prather

• 2 weeks later...

I'll third Griz and Julikko's conversion suggestion. I just picked up a slightly used Cross Solo, screwed in the pen's nib section into a spare Big Red and it fit like it was made for it.

Compared to the Solo, Griz is right — the Big Red looks a lot classier.

And for a steel nib, the Cross is a nice writer too.

This is the easiest conversion I ever tried. Thanks, and Happy Xmas to all!

IMO the Big Red with a 45 front end lookeds rather silly. The pen needs a standard, open nib to look right.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Reviving this topic to add info about another FP whose section works in the Big Red BP barrel: the Martha Stewart (hereinafter "MS") pen that was the subject of this thread.

The pen itself is a rather unremarkable MB-inspired effort: nicely made, but nothing out of the ordinary. The nib, on the other hand, is a lovely Schmidt steel medium; the nib and feed are identical, in fact, to the nib/feed of my Filcao Pentrace LE.

The MS section screws into the Big Red barrel just fine, and the "step" from barrel to section is unobjectionable. The MS section is nicely textured, promoting a good grip. The Schmidt nib is significantly larger than that of the Cross Solo or the Pilot 78, but it doesn't seem to scrape against the inner wall of the Big Red cap. To my eye, the larger nib is a good match, in terms of aesthetics, for the Big Red design.

Another benefit: the MS pen takes standard international cartridges, as well as certain international converters. The best-fitting converter, in my own trials, was a Pelikan.

So if you happen to run across one of the MS pens - the eBay pipeline seems to have run dry - you might want to give this conversion a try.

Cheers,

Jon

• 3 years later...

Hello, I just used the section from a Sheaffer no nonsense f. pen, shaved off the lower threads from the section, smoothed the remaining threads til it screwed right in to the Big Red barrel (I have an early Big Red w. black tips on both ends). Used a sheaffer cartridge which will get stuck in the parker barrel, (pull it with a hook after) and So far so good, Cap fits using a couple of the threads, good enough for me. Writes well, I'll be looking for a no nonsence fine point, gold plate would be nicer, but I'm not willing to sacrifice my "vintage' No nonsense. ~Myk

Hi,

I quite like the Solo, one of my favourite Cross pens with the added bonus that the section screw straight into the Big Red barrel without any need for alterations and are great writers courtesy of Pilot I believe.

Andy

• 3 years later...

Hello,

Converted Big Red with IPG nibs are available on ebay...

JC

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/z/ClAAAOSwd0BVtQiQ/$_57.JPG

http://www.jcfiguet.com/images/Ebay/bigredblack/3.jpg

http://www.jcfiguet.com/images/Ebay/bigredwhite/4.jpg

"Opinions are meant to be changed or how is the truth to be got at"

Lord Byron

A Cross solo nib unit screws right in with no need for modification.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Is the Cross Solo's nib Japanese sized (smallish) or Western (wide)?

I would get a Japanese F or M. Western, I would get a XF or F.

Edit, never mind, I found out they are Japanese scale, so need to find a F or M nib.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Edit, never mind, I found out they are Japanese scale, so need to find a F or M nib.

My understanding is that they were made for Cross by Pilot.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens

I had a spare Parker Sonnet 18K M rhodium plated nib, so I put this nib into a Solo section with the Solo feed. Silvery furniture, silvery nib.

This assembly screws into a Parker Big Red. I used a yellow one,

It works perfectly. From Cross and Parker I decided to call it a Croaker. Frogs are good.

I can, of course put it back into the neon green Solo, and it's still a Croaker.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I love big nibs with large wings like the MB 146... But for this type of nibs you need at least a #6 diameter.

With this pen modification you can change the IPG nib and use all #6 diameter nibs you want !

Bock, Jowo, or others like Schmidt FH452, Parker Sonnet, even MB 146 nib !

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server2300/9dda3/products/283/images/588/SchmidtSSM800r__03151.1403620313.275.275.jpg?c=2

I contacted the ebay seller (http://stores.ebay.fr/Mzombar-Store/) during last week and I bought a green Parker/Ad Pen converted to Fountain Pen. It works perfectly. I think I will change the nib, because I prefere the FH452 Schmidt which is a bit more flexible.

At least it's a nice pen for every days, well balanced, small weigh, not very expensive and with a "Duofold look".

I prefer to use this type of pen for everyday at the office rather than my Duofold Centennial... It's less risky!

http://www.jcfiguet.com/images/Ebay/bigredgreen/3.jpg

Edited by jcfiguet

"Opinions are meant to be changed or how is the truth to be got at"

Lord Byron

I have the Big Red I gave to my dad way long ago. It had the ballpoint cart in it and was just sitting there never used. My dad died long ago and I was sad that that pen, which he loved, was just sitting in the pen cup drying out. I read the part about the Cross Solo Sport fitting and I had some of those. I tried it and it was indeed perfect! Now my Dad's old Big Red is my companion and I think of him whenever I use it. It is precious to me.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg