Disappointed with the Majesty!

Brian Bates

After having bought the Pelikan Majesty I am now thinking of selling. It is too short and has a weird internal piston filler when it would have been easier to have done a standard outer piston knob, as on the Montblanc, or a removable converter.

I have seen the CP6 by Classic Pens and wish I had one of those.

Edited by Brian Bates

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian Bates

• Hoarder68

• petra

• ppenloverr

After having bought the Pelikan Majesty I am now thinking of selling. It is too short and has a weird internal piston filler when it would have been easier to have done a standard outer piston knob, as on the Montblanc, or a removable converter.

I have seen the CP6 by Classic Pens and wish I had one of those.

Think long, think wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
I am still waiting for it to show up in the market place for sale.

There are two on eBay at present: one from a US seller, the other from a British seller. The latter is an auction, so you may still get it cheaper than the one in the US.

I have changed my mind about the Majesty. It\'s not a bad pen at all - very nice infact - but I just wish it were bigger.

Quote: "I have seen the CP6 by Classic Pens and wish I had one of those."

CP6 Charlotte is one of the best M800 variations.

Great fountain pen.

Edited by sailoraff

I would have preferred if they'd made this in M1000 size - I love the Classic CP6 Marguerite!

Tell us more about the filling mechanism - is it not just the usual turn the end knob to fill??

Do you remove the barrel to get at a converter that isn't a converter because it is attached permanently?

How strange.

I have this one in my sights as well - maybe a few years down the road when it comes down to a reasonable price on the second hand market. Looks to be too pricy for what it is to buy new.

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

I would have preferred if they\'d made this in M1000 size - I love the Classic CP6 Marguerite!

Tell us more about the filling mechanism - is it not just the usual turn the end knob to fill??

Do you remove the barrel to get at a converter that isn\'t a converter because it is attached permanently?

How strange.

I have this one in my sights as well - maybe a few years down the road when it comes down to a reasonable price on the second hand market. Looks to be too pricy for what it is to buy new.

I agree Bill. The filling system on the Majesty is a little strange - an inbuilt piston filler that needs the pen to be unscrewed at the section for it to be used. It\'s not the standard knob turn filler that you find on conventional Pelikans. The inbuilt piston filler is not a removable converter - it\'s fixed - rather like the internal power filler on the Visconti Opera Master. I find this strange, because they seem to have gone for an innately complex system when the traditional knob filler worked very well. What I would ask them is if they wanted an internal piston that needed the user to remove the barrel, why didn\'t they make it removable, so that you could also use cartridges if you wished? This system defeats one of the main advantages of piston fillers, namely that they can be used without removing the barrel! So why do it like this?

I also agree about the price. Even at Pam\'s discounted price the pen is still very expensive for what it is; it shouldn\'t really cost more than $600 tops.

I'm guessing that a removeable converter would have resulted in a smaller ink supply. Also, this way you can see the ink supply -- which is something that Pelikan usually tries to include. I for one will not buy a piston filler pen without an ink view window or some other way to be able to see the ink supply.

Petra

I\'m guessing that a removeable converter would have resulted in a smaller ink supply. Also, this way you can see the ink supply -- which is something that Pelikan usually tries to include. I for one will not buy a piston filler pen without an ink view window or some other way to be able to see the ink supply.

Petra

Yes, you can see the ink supply, but I do not think that this is a big deal. I would have preferred a traditional twist-knob piston, and a converter would have allowed the flexibility of using cartridges - yes, some of us like these pesky cartridges!

:thumbup: i like the look of the majesty and i particarly find a bit tacky the cp6. i think is more stylist the majesty. i am talking about the looks not the filling system or whatsoever so from my humble point of view thumbs up to our majesty...the pelikan. Edited by ppenloverr

Regards

p p e n l o v e r r

:thumbup: i like the look of the majesty and i particarly find a bit tacky the cp6. i think is more stylist the majesty. i am talking about the looks not the filling system or whatsoever so from my humble point of view thumbs up to our majesty...the pelikan.

I don\'t find the CP6 tacky at all - it has a lovely design. What I didn\'t like about the CP6 was that the silver seemed to be a rather thin overlay on top of a plastic sleeve. I am sure this was done to keep the weight down, but I think it was a mistake. Still, I have regretted selling the Marguerite I had.

The Majesty is a stylish but conservative pen, in the best Pelikan tradition, however it was wrong to model it on the M600 chassis - it would have been perfect had they had used the M800 chassis instead, with the larger nib. In many ways the Majesty feels and looks like the Faber Castell sterling, except a little thicker; no bad thing, as the Faber is a very good pen, but I would have expected something more impressive from Pelikan.