• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caliken

• Col

• PelikanPenman

• Inky Pinky

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have one thing to say .... WOW! :thumbup: Very nicely done and I like the continuous changes in ink colour.

We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

Winston Churchill

Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.

Winston Churchill

That's very nicely done. Do you use any kind of guide sheet when writing on blank paper? I ask because my own efforts show a tendency to drift downwards towards the end of a line without one.

Col

"Some where over the rainbow ...."

Thanks for the beautiful sample.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Wow caliken, I have no words to say (except "wonderful"); only reading your works it's a "perfect antidote at the end of a busy day".

Thank you very much for sharing.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh20/tipstricks_photo/31032009052_cr.jpg - My albums

Very WOW!!!!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Do you use any kind of guide sheet when writing on blank paper? I ask because my own efforts show a tendency to drift downwards towards the end of a line without one.

I have the same problem, Col. That's why I use guide sheets underneath ( for baselines only) and I always use blank paper.

I can see no virtue in struggling to keep straight lines freehand - I have enough trouble trying to produce good lettering!

caliken

What can I say but wow! Mind telling us what inks you used?

I used liquid Rotring Artist Colour, which is acrylic based and denser than watercolour. With half a dozen basic colours and lots of small bottles, I used an eyedropper to produce the intermediate shades and wrote with a Mitchell dip pen. I could have produced this work with a fountain pen, but it would have meant cleaning out the pen after every line! I have a lot of patience, but there is a limit!

caliken

Do you use any kind of guide sheet when writing on blank paper? I ask because my own efforts show a tendency to drift downwards towards the end of a line without one.

I have the same problem, Col. That's why I use guide sheets underneath ( for baselines only) and I always use blank paper.

I can see no virtue in struggling to keep straight lines freehand - I have enough trouble trying to produce good lettering!

Thanks for that caliken, I'm glad it's not just me. I wonder how medieval monks managed when making handwritten copies of the Bible! As for your lettering, it looks just about faultless to me.

Col

That is delightful. You might be sharing with us hoping for constructive criticism as well, and not just an endless pouring forth of praise, but I have no criticism whatsoever for it!

Now I'm going to go fret bitterly about my own unkempt scratches :rolleyes:

schreibvergnuegen

visit my blog! the teahouse

[i wonder how medieval monks managed when making handwritten copies of the Bible! As for your lettering, it looks just about faultless to me.

Thanks Col,

I worked, for a time, at the Court of the Lord Lyon in Edinburgh as a calligrapher, writing exclusively on vellum. In the age-old tradition of work of this kind, guide lines were always used and subsequently removed once the ink had dried.

In the middle ages, all important documents were lined up prior to writing. Often, the writing was produced between the guidelines which can still be seen. Some lines were even inked in, as a design feature.

Those of us who use guide lines in our work are in good company!

It should be noted, however, that some more recent, artistic calligraphy, is deliberately written off-line for effect.

Edited by caliken

I worked, for a time, at the Court of the Lord Lyon in Edinburgh as a calligrapher, writing exclusively on vellum.

Ah, the granting of arms and so forth? Very interesting. Did your work include inscribing mottos on coats of arms? No straight lines there!

In the age-old tradition of work of this kind, guide lines were always used and subsequently removed once the ink had dried.

In the middle ages, all important documents were lined up prior to writing.

I thought it would have to be something like that.

Col

I worked, for a time, at the Court of the Lord Lyon in Edinburgh as a calligrapher, writing exclusively on vellum.

Ah, the granting of arms and so forth? Very interesting. Did your work include inscribing mottos on coats of arms? No straight lines there!

In the age-old tradition of work of this kind, guide lines were always used and subsequently removed once the ink had dried.

In the middle ages, all important documents were lined up prior to writing.

I thought it would have to be something like that.

Beautiful

How much time did you spend working on it?

Your italic is so consistent. It's truly admirable.

I enjoy doing calligraphy and find it a relaxing activity when I need to take a break from work. My initial skills were acquired over 25 years ago. I didn't do any beautiful writing for years. I was a 'lapsed' calligrapher.

You mentioned using a sheet of guidelines under your blank sheet of paper. It reminds me of addressing wedding invitations. My teacher taught me to cut a piece of cardstock a bit smaller than the envelope and rule lines to fit the address. Unless the envelope is fully lined, just slip the cardstock in each envelope and the lines appear.

WOW! I smoke a cigar and just right, or maybe chicken scratch after what I've just seen!

PMS

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson