Postal fountain pen

GlenV

When looking for a pen, I’m always drawn to early American pens that are interesting and the Postal pen has been on my list of those. I feel lucky to have found this one. 
This brand was sold in a unique way, only marketed direct to consumers by adverts in popular magazines, that one could order from the company by mail, and said “send no money now “ but try out the pen first. 
It was sold in 2 sizes only, with most examples being black celluloid with a transparent celluloid barrel for ink, and a bulb filling method, nibs are good ones I’m not sure what company made them, perhaps the Bay State gold pen co.??

You can see how big the larger size is here compared to a full size Parker Duofold of similar vintage. Cleaning the celluloid reservoir was done carefully as known to be fragile and often crazed by light after all these years like the clear parts of a 100 year Waterman. Another bit of luck this one is not. I wiggled out the nib and pushed out the section with a stiff plastic tube that fit over the long breather tube so could clean from both ends. 
large.IMG_5029.jpeg.7b086d351061a43fce4f
large.IMG_5030.jpeg.0b14916fd415931be747
large.IMG_5035.jpeg.a7b0ce03fe78077bbe8d

Regards, Glen

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GlenV

• Mr.Rene

• Sh.Andrews

• PPPR

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, I actually was not aware of the New Postal pen by Binder until I started researching this pen, it was also from an old post here by him that he mentioned how to remove the nib,  his reproduction looks really nice. The original nib is hard to beat but one could put in a really cool replacement for the new version I would think.

Regards, Glen

Cool FP. Thanks for posting and showing the disassembled pen.

I seem to remember reading about Postal pens before Binder's webpage existed. Digging through back  copies ofThe Pennant has been fruitless. Anyone have an idea of what I'm thinking of?