Repairers still working on all-metal Wahl pens?

epv

I really love the GF and sterling Wahl pens of the 20s-30s. I have a couple that I'd like to use more than I do.

I'm wondering if there's anyone still in the repairing business who can do the sort of metalwork needed to repair inside cap threads. This pen's cap doesn't engage the threads and the only options I can see are:

•  shortening the section (too ugly),
  •  shortening the inner cap (possible, but I'm not confident it could be cut down enough and still accomodate the nib) and
  •  actually repairing the threads so that they engage securely and let the section seat against the inner cap.

Anyway, if thread repair is possible I'd much prefer that choice, and am wondering of anyone still in business can do that, preferably in the US, but whatever.

wahl.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• epv

• FarmBoy

• VacNut

• bsenn

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i really feel like interest in vintage pens has dropped off a cliff in the ten or so years since I last spent much time with them. It's too bad really, though I guess it's nice that a "new generation" of people have found modern ones at least.

This particular repair is difficult and I'm not sure of anyone that advertised doing this in the past.  You might try talking to Syd over at the Wahl forum.

I can speculate on how one might get more thread engagement but nothing seems immediately easy.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

5 hours ago, FarmBoy said:

This particular repair is difficult and I'm not sure of anyone that advertised doing this in the past.  You might try talking to Syd over at the Wahl forum.

I can speculate on how one might get more thread engagement but nothing seems immediately easy.

Yes, I think years ago there were some people who were able to do the metalwork stuff, but maybe not now.  Yeah, there are a few options if you want to let the barrel sit further into the cap, but it would need either the inner cap or the section shortened, and the latter looks bad. So I guess i'll ask Syd and see if he has thoughts.

Just a speculation, but the cap threads are worn rather than the metallic threads, correct? I know it is not easy, but is it feasible to remove the overlay and clip from the cap and replace the cap? The overlay and clip would have to be transferred to the new cap. Thoughts? 

1 hour ago, VacNut said:

Just a speculation, but the cap threads are worn rather than the metallic threads, correct? I know it is not easy, but is it feasible to remove the overlay and clip from the cap and replace the cap? The overlay and clip would have to be transferred to the new cap. Thoughts? 

That would be an approach, except that this is one of the solid metal pens - there is no overlay or BHR, it's just a tube unfortunately, though that's part of why I like these - very solid construction for the most part, no hard rubber to damage, etc.

Interesting. So modifying the inner cap or replacing it would be the only method. Can it be drilled out and replaced, rather than shortened?

Wahl All-Metal pen. The threads be metal on metal. You can’t shrink the cap so stretching the barrel is a possible but then the section escapes. 

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Stretch the barrel, turn down the section, and make a sleeve to go between the section and barrel? Or make a new section to fit the expanded barrel?

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.