Very stiff Aurora Optima piston

Jeremiah

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased an older Aurora Optima. The previous owner has been keeping it in storage for over 20 years; nobody flushed out the last round of ink. When I got it today, I couldn't turn its piston very far when draining/filling the ink chamber (see picture). Because of this, I can't tell if it's just stiff from years of misuse or outright broken. I'm leaning toward the latter as it's been soaking for several hours now with little to no improvement. I'm waiting to hear back from Kenro too. 

Thanks in advance for your insight!

image.jpeg.1a6ffe61fe609cd2039361a216306139.jpeg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jeremiah

• fabri00

• Karmachanic

• InesF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry to read!

Even a very thin layer of dried ink can completely block the piston movement, or, as in your case, can make it dangerously hard to move and stop after a small distance.

Have you unscrewed the nib unit - is it possible? If yes, you may try to fill and soak the inside of the pen (with the opening upwards) with ink cleaner for some days. Quite often this can make the dried ink residue soft and removable - it comes out as ink flocks.

If possible without the need of brutal force, you may try to move the piston daily until success. Also refresh the cleaning solution daily.

Do NOT use any solvents.

If that doesn't work, you will need to dismantle your Aurora pen. Best done by an expert!

One life!

If the piston move a bit, try to unscrew the nib from the pen and use a drop of silicone oil to lubricate it, and see if it start working better.

About the piston knob of your picture, I do not think it should move any far than as for your picture.

This evening after returning back home I'll check in one of my Optimas how much the knob separe from the body when it get unscrewed.

Thank you both! I was able to unscrew the nib section with great effort. The piston turns after a few days of holding water upside down, but still gets "caught" mid turn, requiring me to turn it back the other way and then re-twist in the desired direction for it to work again.

@fabri00--is there a brand or type of silicone oil that you recommend? Thanks in advance!

3 hours ago, Jeremiah said:

@fabri00--is there a brand or type of silicone oil that you recommend? Thanks in advance!

The most liquid you can find, like that one given in every box of TWSBI pens.

Silicone GREASE not oil.  Molykote 111, as recommended by our member repair expert Ron Zorn.

Rapido-eze, also recommended by Ron functions to remove dried ink.

Search either/both in the repair section of the forum

Add lightness and simplicate.