This was a cool surprise

Buford

This is the strangest thing. About 2/3 of my pen collection was at another family member's house. The family member came to visit and I asked that they bring my pens (so I could have one big pile of stuff instead of two little ones a thousand miles apart). In the collection I found this Parker Vacumatic. I'm meticulous about keeping records, and I know that this pen was not in the remote collection when I last saw it. Maybe Santa Claus is real after all.

I don't know much about Parkers, so I'm doing some research. Offhand, does anyone know what years this pen was produced? 

IMG_3536.JPG

IMG_3538.JPG

IMG_3537.JPG

tardigrade.JPG

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Buford

• joss

• jchch1950

• inkstainedruth

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, this version of the Vacumatic is likely 1940s. There is a date code stamped on the barrel which will tell the year of manufacture. There may also be a date code on the nib, although this may be obscured by the section.

11 hours ago, joss said:

Hi, this version of the Vacumatic is likely 1940s

Thanks. Both mysteries have been solved. 

1. It really did come from Santa Claus. I found some paperwork where my mom had purchased it on eBay for me as a Christmas/Birthday gift in 2019. Somehow it just slipped my mind (don't tell my mom). She got this particular pen because her father had one just like it.

2. It's a 1945 model. It has the "5" with the dots on the sides and the bottom. This was also confirmed by the eBay paperwork I found.

tardigrade.JPG

Wow.  Nice find!  

There's a really good article on parkercollector.com about Vacumatics (the plastic plunger makes it a 3rd Generation model, but it's hard to tell what size it is from the photos).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."