How to cure & avoid the writing knob/lump on middle finger?

Dominink

I write fairly much with a fountain pen (mostly German shorthand and learning Palmer method handwriting drills), maybe 1 hour a day, sometimes less, sometimes more.

Apparently, this is enough for my hand to develop a (bone?) kob/lump on the first joint of the middle finger, where the pen lies.

Are there any ways to cure it without surgery? And what can be done to avoid or at least not deteriorate it?

I tried wearing a thin knitted glove, but was sweating in the glove and found it uncomfortable to wear a glove when writing for more than a few minutes.

Please share your advice, recommendations and experiences.

Thank you!

PS: I don't know if this is the right sub-forum, please move accordingly, if I failed. Thank you!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Al-fresco

• Dominink

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you need to seek qualified medical opinion… But (oh come on, there’s always a “but”) examine your pen grip.  I know that’s hard, I couldn’t even visualise my grip without stopping to pick up a pen.  We tend to adopt our grip at a very early age and stick with it but I’ve noticed many people hold their pens very differently from the way I do.  (And their writing is neater too.) I assume you’ve tried changing your pen - have you tried changing your grip?  Yes, it’ll be hard and it will slow you down at first.  

I probably don’t write an hour a day now - but when I was a student I wrote a lot more (using rubbish pens)  with no ill effects, apart from temporary “writer’s cramp.”

But, honestly, I’d see a doctor.  

1 hour ago, Al-fresco said:

I think you need to seek qualified medical opinion… But (oh come on, there’s always a “but”) examine your pen grip.  I know that’s hard, I couldn’t even visualise my grip without stopping to pick up a pen.  We tend to adopt our grip at a very early age and stick with it but I’ve noticed many people hold their pens very differently from the way I do.  (And their writing is neater too.) I assume you’ve tried changing your pen - have you tried changing your grip?  Yes, it’ll be hard and it will slow you down at first.  

Thank you for your reply!

It is not that bad that it needs medical attention, but I will sure bring it up the next time I have a doctor's appointment (which could be soon, cold season is coming here in Germany anyway).

As for the grip: I use the traditional tripod grip, where the pen is "pinch"-held by thumb and first finger, resting on the middle finger. I learned that in school with the classic Lamy tripod fountain pen section and did some research, it seems to be the most recommended grip, especially for longer writing sessions.

Anyway in the meantime I did some research and found out it is quite common for writers, called "writer's callus" or "writer's bump". As long as it is not hurtful, which it isn't in my case, just odd-looking - it is not a "serious" condition it seems.

Still, I will keep an eye on it and ask the doctor next time to see what she recommends in avoiding it.

I guess I will try a cut-of middle finger part from a very thin fabric glove in the meantime. Maybe writing with less pressure might help and I will experiment with pens that require less pressure (my new Opus 88 demonstrator is perfect, it weighs enough, so it is put down by sheer gravity, which reduces the required pressure, also the ink flows freely, which also reduces the required pressure).