EFNIR: Pilot Mixable Colour Red

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Pilot Mixable Colour Red

This is review #306 in my series. Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: I'm taking this ink out of order because water was starting to evaporate out of the cartridge. I added a few drops of distilled water to top the cartridge off. I don't believe this has had a significant impact on color or performance. (And finally, we are done with the Mixable Colour cartridges!)

This is a bright red red (no hint of orange), darker from the EF nib than in the swatch. The microscope smear was dull as could be. The ink showed through the review page heavily, and bled through in one spot. The ink can look fuzzy at times, even on good paper.

I changed the lubrication rating after the review - lubrication seemed worse on the single sheet, whereas usually the pen does better that way.

I saw gold sheen under the microscope (looks orange in the image), so maybe on the right paper, with a very wet nib, this ink would have some sheen.

Cleaning was pretty easy with plain water, just concentrated.  Despite seeing no hint of orange in the writing, when rinsing the section, it went to orangish red and then pink.  I very much like the diluted version of this ink (~1 part water to 5 parts ink - color seems only a little lighter - still very red) in my CM nib - enough lubrication, nice bright red, no fuzzing on decent paper.

Zoomed in photo (One monitor shows too orange, the other too bright.)
large.PilotMixableColourRedZ.jpg.9501b222aa945b78ca31e36f6bfcb41a.jpg

Screenshot (This is quite close - text is a little too dark.)
large.PilotMixableColourRed.jpg.eb8a19bd6cad16ac2831c99d26c7b181.jpg

Scan of Completed Review (This is closest to reality.)
large.PilotMixableColourRedS.jpg.6b13a3450e44e3d5e583220e63452f5b.jpg

Absorbent Paper Close-up (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper) (Both show the ink a little brighter than reality.)
large.PilotMixableColourRedAP.jpg.8b62333f1f60d649dd01b42456ffd5af.jpg

Line width (The "I" in "Ink:". Magnification is 100x. The grid is 100x100µm. The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each. The line width for this ink is roughly 324µm. With 306 inks measured, the average line width is 297µm.) (You can see some gold sheen here (looks orange in the capture).)
large.PilotMixableColourRedLW.jpg.e2384b055eff2cb112f70ffc04f2288e.jpg

Previous Review: Organics Studio Nitrogen.

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap.

Want to influence the inky sequence? Take the "next ink" poll.

View a list of my inks, complete with review results in a google sheet.

Need to catch up on The Adventures of Quin and Makhabesh? Find the whole story here.

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• Penguincollector

• yazeh

• Sailor Kenshin

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice red! More intense than I thought. Mine has the same color -- i.e. no orange but still very bright -- although mine is less intense/saturated (I think). Compares well with my standards (D's Poppy and Wild Strawberry) as well as Richard's Skrip.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

19 minutes ago, lapis said:

Nice red! More intense than I thought. Mine has the same color -- i.e. no orange but still very bright -- although mine is less intense/saturated (I think). Compares well with my standards (D's Poppy and Wild Strawberry) as well as Richard's Skrip.

Thanks, @lapis. :)  I agree - a good color, compares well with other good reds.  And improves with a little dilution.  (These Pilot cartridges go a long way - I still have a tiny bit of this in my Prera CM pen a month later!

Finally the miracles are finished, bravo 👏👏👏 Thanks for enduring this series 👍I'm not sure if I would have the patience or will to this series ever 😆

I also can attest that the ink is hydrophilic and will wick every bit of moisture from the skin. 😅

Things are getting serious with Heilari, which I keep reading g Herbin-e. It seems Quin is deep with druids and poitionmasters. Are his Campagnolo off to other adventure or school or staying g with Quin's mother. They seem very subdued in the past few episodes ☺️

Thanks for making this Tuesday, autumnal ( the red reminds me of 🍁) 🙏🙏🙏

Liz, do you happen to know how the Mixable red compares with the regular Pilot red? It’s a beautiful color, very fall maple leaf. I like the Mixable inks, but water them down about halfway to use in a non Parallel pen. With so many inks to choose from now, they might just stay with the Parallel. Excellent review, can’t wait to read the next installment! 

Top 5 of 21 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Pilot Custom 743 FA, Pilot Green/ Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

Finally the miracles are finished, bravo 👏👏👏 Thanks for enduring this series 👍I'm not sure if I would have the patience or will to this series ever 😆

:lol:  For my next trick, I'm going to finish reviewing all the cartridges I have left.  (Seriously, reviews 309 through 322, inclusive, will be all the remaining cartridge ink I have.  I'm tired of trying to "scatter" them among the poll results while at the same time worrying about evaporation.  So, I'm getting them out of my way all at once!  I did schedule them so as to mix up the colors and brands as best I could.)

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

I also can attest that the ink is hydrophilic and will wick every bit of moisture from the skin. 😅

Really?  That's interesting.  How does one test this?

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

Things are getting serious with Heilari, which I keep reading g Herbin-e. It seems Quin is deep with druids and poitionmasters. Are his Campagnolo off to other adventure or school or staying g with Quin's mother. They seem very subdued in the past few episodes ☺️

:) Whatever it takes to get his father healed.  Makhabesh and Essri don't return until review 309, I'm afraid.  They're at Quin's parents' house, but are staying out of the way as this is family business....  (Feeling awkward, I'm sure.)

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

Thanks for making this Tuesday, autumnal ( the red reminds me of 🍁) 🙏🙏🙏

:) You're most welcome!

6 minutes ago, Penguincollector said:

Liz, do you happen to know how the Mixable red compares with the regular Pilot red?

No.  The only other Pilot red I have is the one in Varsities, and all I have for that is a swatch (the pen is long gone).  Mixable is more saturated and a bit darker.

7 minutes ago, Penguincollector said:

It’s a beautiful color, very fall maple leaf. I like the Mixable inks, but water them down about halfway to use in a non Parallel pen.

Yes, they do much better this way, though I don't think they all need quite that much dilution.  This one might lose a bit of color if diluted that much, not sure.  (I'd say you and @yazeh must be looking at the same tree, but that would have to be one enormous tree for both of you to see it! ;) )

9 minutes ago, Penguincollector said:

With so many inks to choose from now, they might just stay with the Parallel.

I tried to like my Parallels, but couldn't manage.  The sort of writing or drawing they can do just isn't my think, and they're not good for ordinary writing, so they sit in a drawer.  I should give them away.

10 minutes ago, Penguincollector said:

Excellent review, can’t wait to read the next installment! 

:) Thank you!

I am now picturing an ENORMOUS maple tree, somewhere in the northern Midwest, that can be seen from both Eastern Canada and the PNW. The staves made from it would be magical indeed! 

It may not have been half diluted, maybe a third. The last one I used was the orange one a while back, I would have to check the ratio. 

58 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Either on a hot day in a humid region, or having a cold drink during summer, or tears (joy or sorrow). I've had shopping g

Lists dissolve by a few snow flakes 😅

:lol: Yep, that would do it!

59 minutes ago, yazeh said:

I'm sure they're helping around and pulling and getting even with Simon 😜

:D

58 minutes ago, Penguincollector said:

I am now picturing an ENORMOUS maple tree, somewhere in the northern Midwest, that can be seen from both Eastern Canada and the PNW. The staves made from it would be magical indeed! 

:D My work is done!

58 minutes ago, Penguincollector said:

It may not have been half diluted, maybe a third. The last one I used was the orange one a while back, I would have to check the ratio. 

I still have resealed yellow and pink, I think.  I need to use those up, but probably not until I'm done with my cartridge spree. :)  Most cartridges have more ink than I need to finish my review, so that means I'm going to have a lot of spare ink for the next little while.  All other inkings will just have to wait until the cartridges are used up!  By the time I'm done, I may have all my Pilot pens inked with left-overs! :lol:

Waiiiitaminnit….is this Red the same as Pilot Red that was part of a Mystery Ink flight?  If it is, that was orangey, and one of the stainiest inks I ever encountered.

Can I think of this as Kansas City Chiefs Red?

The story:  I'm picturing a darkened room and a lot of hush….apart from someone drumming his fingers.  Oh my.  Go Quin!  Et cetera.  

Confidence?  I have Monteverde Confidence Blue.  But I have a desire for Taccia Ao etc.  What would you do?

Thanks again, @LizEF, for the Timely Tuesday Magical Fun.  💝

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

1 minute ago, LizEF said:

:D My work is done!

I still have resealed yellow and pink, I think.  I need to use those up, but probably not until I'm done with my cartridge spree. :)  Most cartridges have more ink than I need to finish my review, so that means I'm going to have a lot of spare ink for the next little while.  All other inkings will just have to wait until the cartridges are used up!  By the time I'm done, I may have all my Pilot pens inked with left-overs! :lol:

As someone who often uses EF nibs, I get this. If I start a cartridge in an EF or F it can last for months. I often will change pens 3-4 times in the lifetime of a cartridge, usually using them with a large italic nib just to finish them off. 

@Sailor Kenshin, what a coincidence- I had a sample of Taccia Ao sent to me by @Lithium466 and absolutely loved it. The sheen is gorgeous, and the blue so rich. I just received a bottle from Smurti Pens in GA. Confidence blue is also beautiful. The Monteverde Bloō collection is so fun, I am considering getting the Jungle one. 

57 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Waiiiitaminnit….is this Red the same as Pilot Red that was part of a Mystery Ink flight?  If it is, that was orangey, and one of the stainiest inks I ever encountered.

This is Pilot Mixable Colour Red, for Parallel pens.  It's not the same as Pilot/Namiki Red.

58 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Can I think of this as Kansas City Chiefs Red?

:) Yes, actually, that does seem like a pretty good match.

1 hour ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

The story:  I'm picturing a darkened room and a lot of hush….apart from someone drumming his fingers.  Oh my.  Go Quin!  Et cetera.

:) Yes, very serious mood in the family home.  I'm imagining the doctors off in one of the bedrooms, for privacy, while the family are gathered in the living room, but Quin, et al, are in the hallway in between, wishing this were over with.  Surely that's Simon drumming his fingers loud enough that Quin can hear them half-way down the hall. :D  Quin's next-oldest sibling (a sister) is wondering if she should go tell Quin to stop being so anti-social and come join the rest of the family.  Eventually one of the older sisters huffs and says to Simon, "Would you stop that!?"  Meanwhile, Mom is lost in her own private thoughts, getting more and more worried, realizing this is likely the last chance to save her husband's life, and if it doesn't work, he'll die.

So many details, so little space on an A5 sheet.

Confidence?  I have Monteverde Confidence Blue.  But I have a desire for Taccia Ao etc.  What would you do?

:thumbup:

Thanks again, @LizEF, for the Timely Tuesday Magical Fun.  💝

You're most welcome! :)

52 minutes ago, Penguincollector said:

As someone who often uses EF nibs, I get this. If I start a cartridge in an EF or F it can last for months. I often will change pens 3-4 times in the lifetime of a cartridge, usually using them with a large italic nib just to finish them off. 

Yes, that's why I usually put the left overs in my Prera with the CM nib - gets rid of the rest sooner.  But right now, I also have my Prera with and F nib, and Pilot VP with a stub inked!! (and they're not the only ones).  I do at least 6 puzzles per day, just so all of them get used. :D  I need to get more letters written - that uses up ink pretty quickly.  If only I had interesting events to write about.  Perhaps I should start writing fictional letters: "You'll never believe what Quin did last week..." :)

3 minutes ago, LizEF said:

Yes, that's why I usually put the left overs in my Prera with the CM nib - gets rid of the rest sooner.  But right now, I also have my Prera with and F nib, and Pilot VP with a stub inked!! (and they're not the only ones).  I do at least 6 puzzles per day, just so all of them get used. :D  I need to get more letters written - that uses up ink pretty quickly.  If only I had interesting events to write about.  Perhaps I should start writing fictional letters: "You'll never believe what Quin did last week..." :)

I would totally read those fictional epistles. 😊 I started coloring for anxiety, but the bonus is that I go through more ink than I would just by writing. Maybe another CM Prera would be helpful? 😈

1 minute ago, Penguincollector said:

I would totally read those fictional epistles. 😊

:) Do you know that there are businesses (at least two, I think), that send you stories this way?  You subscribe and they mail you letters that tell the story.  It looks like there's a little more to it - like one is a mystery and they send you things that are supposed to be clues (photos and ticket stubs and such).  Of course, they're all mass produced, so it wouldn't be a hand-written letter, but it still seems like a cool idea.

4 minutes ago, Penguincollector said:

I started coloring for anxiety, but the bonus is that I go through more ink than I would just by writing.

Sorry about the anxiety. Hope the coloring helps.  I find I don't like the look of coloring with a fountain pen - maybe I'm not using the right paper for it...  I do Zentangles sometimes, but I enjoy the puzzles more, and Zentangles can take a lot of time, especially if you're trying to learn a new tangle.

6 minutes ago, Penguincollector said:

Maybe another CM Prera would be helpful? 😈

:lticaptd:Shame on you! I think if I ever get another pen, it will be a Waterman Carene.  I don't know why, but I seem mildly obsessed with it, even though I don't especially like the shape.  I suppose it's because I have no inlaid nib pens, and of the ones in current production that I've seen, it's the one I like the best.  If only they would make the body with interesting colors. :(

That is a really nice red.  I may have to get a sample of it to see how it compares to my "go to" red ink, Diamine Classic Red.

Thanks for the review, as usual.  And, well, maybe not.... :blush:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

5 hours ago, LizEF said:

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!

Well another fantastic review!

what is the “penmanship” a pen option or just being exact about your writing? 
This color could become my favorite red? 😍 must try.

🤩🥳

5 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

That is a really nice red.  I may have to get a sample of it to see how it compares to my "go to" red ink, Diamine Classic Red.

Thanks for the review, as usual.  And, well, maybe not.... :blush:

:)  Pretty sure samples aren't an option, just cartridges.  You'll likely want to dilute it a little, so it behaves in a regular pen (this ink is for Parallel pens).

You're most welcome, either way. :D