What is so great about Mont Blanc fountain pens? Why are they so crazy expensive?

PhiloPlume

Don’t get me wrong I’d love it if food and Montblancs for that matter were cheaper.  But around here at an independently owned restaurant a drink is $12, an appetizer $20, an entree $25-50, and dessert another $10-15.   By the time you factor in tax and tip it’s always about $200.   Obviously there are some more value oriented chains and fast food.   

Back to pens I think when one considers the service, reputation, hand craftsmanship, etc Montblancs are expensive but within reason.   Now if you just compare writing experience then yes I can see how a company like Pilot can offer far better value.  But then companies like Asvine can offer better value still.  At the end of the day I would never judge someone for not buying an MB - they are absolutely frivolities..but so are most fountain pens.   

N

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• torstar

• PhiloPlume

• Glenn-SC

• nm4

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Glenn-SC said:

This makes me wonder where you live, as a similar dinner would cost less than $75 around here.  Your “decent” and “mid range” must be way higher than mine.  
Yet the MB 149 still costs $1000 here.  

People sometimes live in places that have a higher cost of living.

57 minutes ago, nm4 said:

Don’t get me wrong I’d love it if food and Montblancs for that matter were cheaper.  But around here at an independently owned restaurant a drink is $12, an appetizer $20, an entree $25-50, and dessert another $10-15.   By the time you factor in tax and tip it’s always about $200.   Obviously there are some more value oriented chains and fast food.   

Back to pens I think when one considers the service, reputation, hand craftsmanship, etc Montblancs are expensive but within reason.   Now if you just compare writing experience then yes I can see how a company like Pilot can offer far better value.  But then companies like Asvine can offer better value still.  At the end of the day I would never judge someone for not buying an MB - they are absolutely frivolities..but so are most fountain pens.   

N

1 hour ago, kazoolaw said:

Considering a sandwich meal just cost me  $28, without beverages, I suspect there are mid-range restaurants and there are mid-range restaurants.

Or, the high range restaurants are so high that former high range gets pushed to mid-range.

Or, I’ll gladly get a loan tomorrow for a hamburger today.

A pizza delivered is $40, I laughed at what a dinner for 2 delivered from a 3rd-rate Chinese restaurant would have set me back.

It does raise two variations on consumer expectations and utility to consider two different people on here: 

1)  The thought of spending $1000 on a pen when you are used to $12 for a good dinner in your neck of the woods;  and

2) The thought of spending $1000 on a pen when you easily go over $150 for a good dinner for two in your neck of the woods.

I only own a Montblanc because a dear friend gifted me her 1980's 146 LeGrande.  After cleaning it up, I found that it to be a delightful, well-balanced writer with just a hint of feedback.  It has become one of my favorite pens to write with.  My takeaway is that it must be a very built pen as I know how much she used it writing her books and signing them at release parties.  After all that, it just took a few minutes in cleaner to have it writing probably as well as when she bought it 40 years ago.  Seems like a pretty good return on investment!

Would I buy a second Montblanc at $1000 or more?  I do think they are very beautiful pens and great writers.  Fortunately, thanks to my friend, I don't need to now.

16 hours ago, nm4 said:

In a day and age where a decent dinner for 2 at a mid range restaurant is $200-300 is a $900 luxury pen unexpected?   And to save $400 on a used but potential counterfeit pen that may need maintenance soon doesn’t seem that great either.  I’ve done both and so far so good.  

Just saying I don’t think these pens are as obnoxiously priced as people seem to think.  A sailor KOP naginata nib basically costs the same as a 149 calligraphy.  I have owned both and know which one I’d rather have (the MB FWIW). 

N

Uh,  I don't think I'm in the demographic where for dinner for 2 at a "midrange" is THAT kind of price....  :o

I remember going out one time in NYC with my husband and his sister & brother-in-law and dinner for FOUR at the place they took us to (in midtown Manhattan) was WAY less that less than that, including the tip.  And my husband was STILL freaking out a bit over the bill (and that with no alcohol for any of us) and I had to remind him that Pittsburgh is WAY less expensive than NYC in general....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I haven’t bought a new MontBlanc in 30 years (and frankly, my dad bought my mine so I don’t know what he paid for it), but what stands out to me to this day was the care and attention that went into the sale. I knew going in to my appointment that I wanted a Meisterstück, so our jeweler brought out the three sizes so I could see which fit my hand. From there, I tried all the nibs (Granted, I did end up picking a nib that wasn’t the best one for me to write with all day, but I used it as a signature pen for decades until I had it ground italic last year) and picked the combination I enjoyed the most. This took a considerable amount of time, and all of my questions were answered and I was never made to feel like it was inconvenient or looked down upon. It wasn’t the biggest or most expensive pen in the store, but I was treated as if it was. Now this was not a an MB boutique and it was at the tail end of the last century, so who knows what the current buying experience is like. It was very much like buying a musical instrument, or pointe shoes.  I think for some things, part of the cost is the experience, like a high end restaurant. 

disclaimer: I’m currently very feverish and my ramble may only be tangentially related to the subject on this thread. 

Top 5 of 21 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Pilot Custom 743 FA, Pilot Green/ Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

9 hours ago, torstar said:

Evidently!

My Aurora Talentum and Afrika fountain pens probably get more use than my MBs.

Looked up what they go for, about 25 years later.

Aged quite well...

To each his own.  Personally, I think Montblanc is an iconic brand that makes very high quality, long lasting, reliable pens that are admittedly very expensive.  I own and use many including a 149 from the 1990s and an older 146 given to me by my father in law.  I also love my Japanese, and Italian pens which also write great and cost less.  Some people hate while others love Mont Blanc but  thecfact remains, that the fountain pen community and our hobby would be greatly diminished if Mont Blanc was not a part of it.

7 hours ago, EricTheRed said:

Some people hate while others love Mont Blanc but  thecfact remains, that the fountain pen community and our hobby would be greatly diminished if Mont Blanc was not a part of it.

On the contrary, IMHO, MB represents all the bad aspects of non-FP users accuse us of liking “obscenely expensive”, “writes no better than a ballpoint”, “they sell cufflinks!”, etc.  

I don’t think that the Fountain Pen Community would be hurt at all if Mont Blanc went away.  

On 10/9/2024 at 12:14 PM, Merrick said:

As much as I think modern Montblancs are vastly overpriced, I cannot argue with the fact that they continue to offer a wide selection of nibs and options and offer support for not just their pens but the art of writing in general. Compare this to Pelikan who have stripped their nib options back to the most basic EF-B and are removing iconic elements of their pens like the translucent barrels. A good chunk of the Japanese nib options are difficult to get outside of Japan. Companies like Parker coast entirely on their legacy and make pens that are barely pale shadows of their best work. At least Montblanc strives to make pens that match their reputation, even if they’re pricing those pens to be status symbols first. 

I’ve avoided Montblanc because of the pricing of their new production pens and out of fear of buying a counterfeit on the used market but I should probably take the time to research the options out there for good vintage Montblancs. 

I took my own advice and researched vintage Montblancs and now I’m down a rabbit hole. Just got a good deal on a Noblesse Oblige on eBay and will have a 1950s 146 coming from Tom at Penboard soon. And I’m already looking at 344s and a 256s…

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” 

-Groucho Marx

On the contrary, IMHO, MB represents all the bad aspects of non-FP users accuse us of liking “obscenely expensive”, “writes no better than a ballpoint”, “they sell cufflinks!”, etc.  

I don’t think that the Fountain Pen Community would be hurt at all if Mont Blanc went away.  

This type of argument fails to acknowledge that higher end products have diminishing returns from a value perspective.  A Macbook doesn't cost $400 more to make than a comparable PC...but people still buy and love them.  Similarly, a BMW, Porsche, or Ferrari is not exponentially better than a Kia from a functionality perspective.  But I'd never claim the auto industry would be the same without those storied brands.

At the end of the day Montblanc has done a LOT for fountain pens and their enthusiasts.   Let's not overlook their amazing array of handmade nibs, the wonderful piston filling system, the free classes on how to use these pens, etc.  There's nary a store near me where one can even pick up and try a fountain pen - but the local Montblanc boutique will let you try several.  Lastly let's not ignore the historical provenance of these pens which goes far beyond almost anything else on the market.  And for what its worth Montblanc watches and cufflinks are beautiful (though I own neither).

N

MB doesn’t represent non-FP users, nor do the opinions of non-FP users define the worth of MBs.  

14 hours ago, kazoolaw said:

MB doesn’t represent non-FP users, nor do the opinions of non-FP users define the worth of MBs.  

If you visit the MB website, you will see that they are selling the high end “luxury” lifestyle and that FPs are only a small part of their lineup. 
They market:

Luxury pens, sunglasses, leather accessories, jewelry, home office accessories, bags, travel accessories, backpacks, suitcases, wash bags (!), watches, smart watches, headphones, and (the style clincher!) fragrances!!!

MB very much wants to “represent” non-FP users and courts the opinions of non-FP users to define their worth.  
You could argue that the non-FP products are irrelevant to the value and/or quality of their FPs, but, IMHO, MB is marketing FPs as a lifestyle product that is vastly overpriced as a functional product. 
But, it is your money and if MB FPs are what you want, then spend away. 

14 hours ago, kazoolaw said:

and yet....  

40 minutes ago, Glenn-SC said:

If you visit the MB website, you will see that they are selling the high end “luxury” lifestyle and that FPs are only a small part of their lineup. 
They market:

Luxury pens, sunglasses, leather accessories, jewelry, home office accessories, bags, travel accessories, backpacks, suitcases, wash bags (!), watches, smart watches, headphones, and (the style clincher!) fragrances!!!

MB very much wants to “represent” non-FP users and courts the opinions of non-FP users to define their worth.  
You could argue that the non-FP products are irrelevant to the value and/or quality of their FPs, but, IMHO, MB is marketing FPs as a lifestyle product that is vastly overpriced as a functional product. 

Yes, MB's pivot to a lifestyle brand seeks to bring in customers who have no interest in fountain pens, and hopes to convert them to purchasing a pen or two as an aspect of that lifestyle (and don't even necessarily need it to be fountain pens since they sell ballpoints and rollerballs of many of their models). The fountain pens are accordingly priced as a niche product within a premium brand and as such are far more expensive than pens from many competitors.

All that being said, I feel that Montblanc has maintained a high standard for the fountain pen segment of their offerings, again maintaining a wide variety of nibs when most competitors are narrowing their offerings, striving to maintain a level of quality that befits a premium product (regardless of whether or not you think that the price is too high given what you can buy elsewhere), with a range of limited editions that are actually unique in ways that go beyond merely a change of color, and lots of strong ink options with a standard bottle that is designed specifically for the challenge of filling pens when the ink levels are low. Anyone who says their pens write no better than ballpoints are likely not people who understand fountain pens nor why anyone would choose to use them over ballpoints/rollerballs.

Yes, they sell cufflinks and colognes and lots of other luxury items, of which fountain pens are only one, but for what is surely a small segment of their brand they have maintained a high level of quality and range of offerings that exceed many companies that sell fountain pens exclusively. I find it hard to fault them for placing the fountain pens in a premium space, although I wish they would continue to offer lower end fountain pens to allow people a gateway into the hobby. And if broadening their customer base allows them to continue to offer such a wide range of fountain pen options, I cannot fault them for that choice either. I am not interested in MB cufflinks or wallets or cologne but the sales from those keep MB profitable overall and that's a good thing for their pen division.

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” 

-Groucho Marx

53 minutes ago, Merrick said:

Yes, MB's pivot to a lifestyle brand seeks to bring in customers who have no interest in fountain pens, and hopes to convert them to purchasing a pen or two as an aspect of that lifestyle (and don't even necessarily need it to be fountain pens since they sell ballpoints and rollerballs of many of their models).

Makes sense to me!

4 hours ago, Glenn-SC said:

They market:

My apologies for not following “represent” as you used it.  I think I understand that you’ve saying MB wants to represent a lifestyle non-FP user should/ can aspire to, which is very expensive.

It doesn’t matter to me that a non-FP user thinks a ballpoint pen is just as good as an FP.  We know better.  Nor do I care about the opinion of a non-FP user about MB’s “lifestyle”  products; not a fan of them either.  Neither of those have any impact on the value of MB as a pen maker.

We can plug in all the usual back-and-forth comments about MB as a pen brand.  MB has had its flagship pen in production since 1952.  The 146 is a long running workhorse.  It continued FP production through the decline in the FP market.  You can look at the MB forum here.  I’m thinking the special nib topics are among the most active.
Non-FP users are entitled to their opinions.  And we’re entitled to ignore them.