EFNIR: Organics Studio Nitrogen

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Organics Studio Nitrogen

This is review #305 in my series. Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: This ink was gifted to me by a generous FPNer. This is a blue ink. It leans slightly green. My scanner doesn't like it.  My camera doesn't like it.  Both want to remove the green, probably because the ink + sheen leans purple and is darker than the ink without sheen... Still, I think the scanner is closest.

Cleaning was surprisingly easy, but will require extra flushes due to how concentrated it is. I only needed water.  (Note, however, that cleaning will result in the same problems as inking - see next...)

This ink is a super-sheener, which means it forms flakes that are like a cross between glitter, Baystate Blue, and the worst virus known to man. In a hundred years, when someone is demolishing my home, they will be heard to say, "What are these blue spots all over my gloves and boots!?"  (This is the price you pay for using a super-sheener: invisible flakes that go places neither you nor the ink bottle, nor the pen, has ever been, and re-wet months after you've forgotten you ever used the ink.)

I know sheening inks have a reputation for smearing long after "dry", but I haven't had that problem - perhaps because of the EF and not-so-wet nib, perhaps because I'm in a desert and my skin is bone-dry...

Zoomed in photo (Not quite enough green, maybe a little too dark.)
large.OrganicsStudioNitrogenZ.jpg.e0ca287559187f65a96bb3148b57ac61.jpg

Screenshot (Text a little too dark and not enough green.)
large.OrganicsStudioNitrogen.jpg.257e4b8d0eb3aebd2eb86883d10b5cb5.jpg

Scan of Completed Review (I think I managed to get this fairly close to the actual color, but the scan doesn't include the sheen, so it's hard to be sure...)
large.OrganicsStudioNitrogenS.jpg.bc1fad82514869f09cea3cf49b279394.jpg

Absorbent Paper Close-up (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper) (Both sides are off, but in different ways. :/)
large.OrganicsStudioNitrogenAP.jpg.21657cc1fcb87457ddb2e7dae2e4cb8f.jpg

Line width (The "I" in "Ink:". Magnification is 100x. The grid is 100x100µm. The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each. The line width for this ink is roughly 292µm. With 305 inks measured, the average line width is 297µm.) (You can see the sheen.)
large.OrganicsStudioNitrogenLW.jpg.2605e789e9143e1ff5a761378ac5fe2e.jpg

Microscope image (100x. This was as interesting as it got. Color is wrong. The turquoise halos should be more blue, the darker parts a little more teal (but not teal, just more green).)
large.OrganicsStudioNitrogenSmear.jpg.43d1112cfd4505bfb0354929587fa354.jpg

Sheen (Lots o' sheen.)
large.OrganicsStudioNitrogenSheen.jpg.7b3b010e23c9cdb3a1d0eb80f000f303.jpg

Previous Review: Graf von Faber-Castell Carbon Black.

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap.

Want to influence the inky sequence? Take the "next ink" poll.

View a list of my inks, complete with review results in a google sheet.

Need to catch up on The Adventures of Quin and Makhabesh? Find the whole story here.

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• InesF

• yazeh

• inkstainedruth

There's an explosion!  Let's hope it's a good one for Quin and company.  The other slide resembles a glittered Christmas tree needle up close.

@LizEF, I MAY have had a sample of Nitrogen.  I don't have any of your comparisons, but one of my InkVents had a blue with massive red sheen (Ruby Blues?) and it did not seem to flake.  InkVent Black Ivy, ditto.  Flakes would annoy me.

I'm breathless to see where this cliffhanger goes.  Thanks so much for this Tuesday Treat.  

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

21 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

There's an explosion!  Let's hope it's a good one for Quin and company.  The other slide resembles a glittered Christmas tree needle up close.

:) An underwater explosion (at least, the smear looks like bubbles to me).

22 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

@LizEF, I MAY have had a sample of Nitrogen.  I don't have any of your comparisons, but one of my InkVents had a blue with massive red sheen (Ruby Blues?) and it did not seem to flake.  InkVent Black Ivy, ditto.  Flakes would annoy me.

For months on end, they would annoy you!  I'm convinced just touching the sample vial sheds flakes of ink. :) :gaah:

23 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

I'm breathless to see where this cliffhanger goes.

:D (Unfortunately, this section of the story doesn't move as quickly as I'd like, but I couldn't bring myself to chop any more of it...)

24 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Thanks so much for this Tuesday Treat.

:) You're most welcome!

Holy mother of sheen. Thanks for being immortalized as sheen @LizEF for future paleontologists along with Makhabesh and Essri :lticaptd:

I remember when I first tried a few of the Organic Studios sheening inks, I felt as if my eye antennas were swaying in the wind and my writing was moving in front of my eyes give me a headache. Mind youI don't mind a bit of sheen but that much no thank you. I'd prefer to gift it to Simon for being such a sorry excuse of a brother 😜

Thanks for bringing your unique humor to these fun reviews and making Tuesdayd sheen-ier 😄🙏🙏🙏

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

Holy mother of sheen.

:lticaptd:

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

Thanks for being immortalized as sheen @LizEF for future paleontologists along with Makhabesh and Essri :lticaptd:

:D You're most welcome!  I can imagine those future scientists trying to figure out what ritual required us to scatter blue sheeny flecks about our dwellings. :P

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

I remember when I first tried a few of the Organic Studios sheening inks, I felt as if my eye antennas were swaying in the wind and my writing was moving in front of my eyes give me a headache. Mind you I don't mind a bit of sheen but that much no thank you. I'd prefer to gift it to Simon for being such a sorry excuse of a brother 😜

:lol:  What a description!  I can't say sheen has ever bothered me that much, but then, I've never spent much time with a wet broad nib where the sheen would be a lot more "in your face".  Simon is quite the jerk.  (And though I don't anticipate it ever being spelled out, it seems Quin was a bit of a spoiled and moody brat when he was little.  He may have had reason, though...  We'll see whether we end up exploring any of that.  Perhaps one day I'll write a short prequel about Quin's childhood. :D )

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

Thanks for bringing your unique humor to these fun reviews and making Tuesdayd sheen-ier 😄🙏🙏🙏

:) Glad to do it!

3 hours ago, LizEF said:

:D You're most welcome!  I can imagine those future scientists trying to figure out what ritual required us to scatter blue sheeny flecks about our dwellings. :P

What did these humans did, in the early 21st centuries, when 

3 hours ago, LizEF said:

:lol:  What a description!  I can't say sheen has ever bothered me that much, but then, I've never spent much time with a wet broad nib where the sheen would be a lot more "in your face".  Simon is quite the jerk.  (And though I don't anticipate it ever being spelled out, it seems Quin was a bit of a spoiled and moody brat when he was little.  He may have had reason, though...  We'll see whether we end up exploring any of that.  Perhaps one day I'll write a short prequel about Quin's childhood. :D )

I think it was Walden or another one, which was really a pain :) You'll find Quin's character. He seems a bit lost. Makhabesh is snarky, Essri is like an "innocent" cat who wants something, Quin is more like a lost dog or a mouse with an umbrella :D 

43 minutes ago, yazeh said:

You'll find Quin's character. He seems a bit lost. Makhabesh is snarky, Essri is like an "innocent" cat who wants something, Quin is more like a lost dog or a mouse with an umbrella :D 

:lol:

31 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Even Martin Sheen doesn’t have all that SHEEEEN!😳

18 hours ago, LizEF said:

In a hundred years, when someone is demolishing my home, they will be heard to say, "What are these blue spots all over my gloves and boots!?" 

Sheen explosion and family blood-bath ... is there some connection? (sorry, I have forgotten my tin foil hat at home...) ;) :) 

Thank you, @LizEF, for entertaining us with post-recording notes, with one ink review in two colours, with another surprising story part and with microscopy images that physics forbids (maybe). :thumbup:

I have to admit, I like the colour of this ink. But have also to admit, that my desk is already covered with dry dye flaks deriving from other inks and that I wear a water vapour absorbing mask when I sit there 😷, in the hope of avoiding to bring any amount of water in any form to these dry flakes ... 🙄 

No more dry flakes on my desk! 👆

You may guess, hmmm 🤫, yes, I will pass on Organics Studio Nitrogen*!

*) The scientist knows that the element nitrogen is most often the one in minimum, limiting plant growth. I guess, unavailability of Organics Studio Nitrogen is the main cause that limits the number of colourful writing desk surfaces ... The other one may be Baystate Blue. ;) 

One life!

6 hours ago, InesF said:

Sheen explosion and family blood-bath ... is there some connection? (sorry, I have forgotten my tin foil hat at home...) ;) :) 

6 hours ago, InesF said:

Thank you, @LizEF, for entertaining us with post-recording notes, with one ink review in two colours, with another surprising story part and with microscopy images that physics forbids (maybe). :thumbup:

:D You're most welcome!  I'm all in favor of defying the laws of physics! :thumbup:

6 hours ago, InesF said:

I have to admit, I like the colour of this ink. But have also to admit, that my desk is already covered with dry dye flaks deriving from other inks and that I wear a water vapour absorbing mask when I sit there 😷, in the hope of avoiding to bring any amount of water in any form to these dry flakes ... 🙄 

No more dry flakes on my desk! 👆

:lticaptd:I'm sure if you wipe it down a dozen times, you'll catch them all (except that 1, which defies the laws of physics - that one is waiting for you on the ceiling, like a spider).

6 hours ago, InesF said:

You may guess, hmmm 🤫, yes, I will pass on Organics Studio Nitrogen*!

:) It's too blue blue even to tempt me.  So you're not alone.

6 hours ago, InesF said:

*) The scientist knows that the element nitrogen is most often the one in minimum, limiting plant growth. I guess, unavailability of Organics Studio Nitrogen is the main cause that limits the number of colourful writing desk surfaces ... The other one may be Baystate Blue. ;) 

:D Which is worse - the easily wiped up FlakesAllOver Nitrogen (zero water resistance), or the StainsAll BSB, that will fade under UV light?  I propose we let someone else find out! :P

Meanwhile, today is apparently bird day!  In addition to our usual complement of house sparrows, house finches, lesser goldfinches, and Eurasian collared doves, we had the European starlings, 5 pigeons, 2 magpies, and what I think was an American crow!  Only the mourning doves were missing (they're usually here).  The magpies and crow watched from a neighbor's roof while everyone else hung out at my house. :) When I first moved here, robins were the only bird I ever saw, now I almost never see them.  I suppose I'd have to buy mealworms to attract them, and I'm not doing that!

15 hours ago, LizEF said:

I'm all in favor of defying the laws of physics! :thumbup:

15 hours ago, LizEF said:

Meanwhile, today is apparently bird day!  In addition to our usual complement of house sparrows, house finches, lesser goldfinches, and Eurasian collared doves, we had the European starlings, 5 pigeons, 2 magpies, and what I think was an American crow!  Only the mourning doves were missing (they're usually here).  The magpies and crow watched from a neighbor's roof while everyone else hung out at my house. :) When I first moved here, robins were the only bird I ever saw, now I almost never see them.  I suppose I'd have to buy mealworms to attract them, and I'm not doing that!

Oh, that's nice! Always good to read about islands of recovered nature.

Some do it with fish in the tank, others with squirrels ( :) ) or with birds. It's never wasted time to watch animals when they do not feel observed.* Much to learn there! 🤫

*) watching humans when they do not feel observed is also quite educating. For ethical reasons, we do not tell stories about.

One life!

8 hours ago, InesF said:

Oh, that's nice! Always good to read about islands of recovered nature.

Some do it with fish in the tank, others with squirrels ( :) ) or with birds. It's never wasted time to watch animals when they do not feel observed.* Much to learn there! 🤫

:) I imagine it's not funny to them, but it's funny to me to watch the birds squabble over the food.  Now and then, one will spend all her time chasing other birds off the feeder rather than just eating.  Others only get upset if one lands too close, and yet others don't care unless someone chases them off.  And bird arguments are quite fascinating - they sort of hover, facing each other, and can move in every direction despite their bodies being vertical.  It's almost like they're trying to smack each other with their wings while looking for an opportunity to use claws.  These never last for long, and aren't that common, but they're interesting when they happen.  Klaw and Smoke are also interesting to watch as they watch the birds, sometimes.

8 hours ago, InesF said:

*) watching humans when they do not feel observed is also quite educating. For ethical reasons, we do not tell stories about.

:lticaptd: (Liz double checks that all the cameras have their physical shutters closed.)

On 10/1/2024 at 5:34 PM, Baggins said:

Even Martin Sheen doesn’t have all that SHEEEEN!😳

Well, I'd actually have to ask a friend of mine about that.  She found out he was giving a talk at a local charity a couple of years ago, and talked her way in by telling them she'd take promo photos for them of the event --- just so she could meet him!  Apparently his father was from the same little town outside Santiago de Compostela (in the northwest corner of Spain) as her father had been.

This is the same friend, BTW, who gave me the Pelikan M200 with the Bayer Aspirin logo on it (and who, last year, gave me the pack of highlighter pens from some dollar store that have a nib on one end of them and a felt tip on the other...).  And the one who (in return for the M200 -- which she got on Freecycle, not realizing its actual value!) I got the Inoxcrom "Tin Tin" pen in a PiF on FPN; because she just NEEDED a Spanish brand pen -- especially because she's a huge fan of the comic as well.... :rolleyes:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

18 hours ago, LizEF said:

[...] they sort of hover, facing each other, and can move in every direction despite their bodies being vertical. [...]

Sorry, @LizEF, this was an instant association! :) 

One life!

4 hours ago, InesF said:

Sorry, @LizEF, this was an instant association! :) 

:lol:  (Except she can't move vertically - them birdies can!)

Lovely ink, for sure. The main problem, aside from the tiny spots that will show up days later when you think you've cleaned everything thoroughly, is that it dries super fast on the nib. I mean, within 10-15 seconds fast. I solved this by diluting it, which doesn't really affect the color or the sheen. I recommend at least 1:1, if not 2:1. Makes for a more pleasant writing experience.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

9 minutes ago, chromantic said:

I mean, within 10-15 seconds fast.

:) Around here, more inks than you'd think will dry that fast on the nib.  But yeah, this one dries even faster.

10 minutes ago, chromantic said:

I solved this by diluting it, ...

Yep, even though this makes inks "drier", it does help those that want to dry almost before they've left the pen. :)   Thanks for sharing your dilution experience - I wouldn't have guessed it would manage that much dilution - good to know!