Jacques Herbin – Tour Eiffel/ Brun Eiffel (Couleurs de Paris)

yazeh

@Misfit and @yazeh -- Thanks to both of you.  I did NOT remember Lie de The being that dark a color.  So now wondering what ink I *was* thinking of.... :headsmack:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yazeh

• LizEF

• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, inkstainedruth said:

@Misfit and @yazeh -- Thanks to both of you.  I did NOT remember Lie de The being that dark a color.  So now wondering what ink I *was* thinking of.... :headsmack:

Ambre de Birmanie/ Baltique or Coraline d'Egypt, maybe? :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2024 at 7:06 PM, inkstainedruth said:

Lie de The is not generally that dark, IMO. The glass pen is probably writing very wet and making it darker than I'd expect from most fountain pens.

2 hours ago, mstone said:

Lie de The is not generally that dark, IMO. The glass pen is probably writing very wet and making it darker than I'd expect from most fountain pens.

I haven't test/ tried it yet. Until I do it, I won't know. But one thing I've learned is that memory when it comes to inks and colour is fleeting and rarely accurate. (Well memory can be very flaky with most things :D )

4 hours ago, namrehsnoom said:

Wonderful review @yazeh - it showcases the ink perfectly.

Thanks! 

And I really like what I see - a gorgeous ink, this Tour Eiffel ! 

Isn't it? :) 

I will definitely get a bottle of this one.

Looking forward to your review and artwork :) 

On 9/29/2024 at 7:10 PM, yazeh said:

Ambre de Birmanie/ Baltique or Coraline d'Egypt, maybe? :) 

Nope.  Not those -- I don't have either of those inks.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

7 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

Nope.  Not those -- I don't have either of those inks.

:)

On 10/8/2024 at 4:24 PM, yazeh said:

I haven't test/ tried it yet. Until I do it, I won't know. But one thing I've learned is that memory when it comes to inks and colour is fleeting and rarely accurate. (Well memory can be very flaky with most things :D )

I checked my memory against samples before posting and couldn't find any examples that were that dark, though I suppose it's possible that they dramatically reformulated it. In general I've always found it to be a fairly neutral brown with really nice shading from light to dark. On a dry writer it's lighter, on a wet writer it's darker. Glass pens tend to be really wet writers in my experience, and that may account for the difference. I don't know about the "shark pen" in the other sample. Here's a couple example of what I generally see with LdT, the first an Esterbrook 9668 and the second obviously with a Lamy 2k EF. :) The color swatch next to the writing sample has more of this lighter brown shading, again making me think the glass pen was just writing really really wet. (These are just quick images mostly to show the shading; not color corrected at all, and on my monitor higher contrast and more saturated than reality, and also blown up about 400%.)
ldt0002.png.083442c0528673b622107937009e78b3.png
ldt.png.46fb74296bd0af9e10ccc3739fac1236.png

56 minutes ago, mstone said:

I checked my memory against samples before posting and couldn't find any examples that were that dark, though I suppose it's possible that they dramatically reformulated it. In general I've always found it to be a fairly neutral brown with really nice shading from light to dark. On a dry writer it's lighter, on a wet writer it's darker. Glass pens tend to be really wet writers in my experience, and that may account for the difference. I don't know about the "shark pen" in the other sample. Here's a couple example of what I generally see with LdT, the first an Esterbrook 9668 and the second obviously with a Lamy 2k EF. :) The color swatch next to the writing sample has more of this lighter brown shading, again making me think the glass pen was just writing really really wet. (These are just quick images mostly to show the shading; not color corrected at all, and on my monitor higher contrast and more saturated than reality, and also blown up about 400%.)

I appreciate you take the time to do this sample writing. I have several interesting brown inks in the works. Lie de Thé is 5 or 6 reviews later. So probably sometime in late November. One thing I can say it has complex chroma :)

On 10/18/2024 at 4:25 AM, mstone said:

What a nice picture! On my monitor it appears perfectly embedded in the forum's background, as if it's written directly on the screen by hand!

You gave me an idea for my future posts, although I'll miss the edit function that way 😉