1950s Silver Rings 149 Caught in the Wild

singlechange

I am posting this for reference use to others who might want to look for a 1950s sliver rings 149. The pics are all mine taken with iPhone 11 Pro Max. Where did I find it?  A seller in Japan, which seems unusual, because, though the Japanese pen market today is thriving as ever before and they love especially the Pelikan pens, in the 1950s there were very few 149's available there. It cost back then $500 because of high import tax. (In the Japanese private sector in the 1980s, the average annual salary was just $6,000.) I imagine mine was purchased abroad, perhaps in Europe in the early 1980s, when many Japanese businessman went abroad and mine was purchased in an antique shop in London  or another major city. Why is it the best? It is a very comfortable daily writer because of its shorter length and girth than today's 149 and because it is a bit heavier which puts more feeling in my hand. Some owners may say the celluloid makes it feel more comfortable too.  In the last photograph, the silver rings 149 is below the 1970s 149.  What is it about the nib that stands out?  The nib is big, bigger than the nib on my 1970's 149.  What did I pay for it?  I paid U.S. $378.00 for mine that still needs a new cork.   I would like to invite you for your own comments.

IMG_5829.jpeg

IMG_5813.jpeg

IMG_5824.jpeg

IMG_5833.jpeg

IMG_5834.jpeg

IMG_5835.jpeg

IMG_5827.jpeg

IMG_5814 (1).jpeg

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic