grayish blues please

sombrueil

I am in search of the perfect moody grayish blue. Not having a lot of luck. I have some lovely gray inks that shade blue, like Iroshizuku Fuyu-syogun, Diamine Grey, and Encre Classique Gris de Payne, but I am looking for a BLUE ink that has a gray tone,  a greenish or purplish element is a plus. Not dark, but very legible. Not a grayish blue-black. Something special. 

Any suggestions?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sombrueil

• Sailor Kenshin

• PithyProlix

• lamarax

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love those stormy blues, and have tried a few.  Robert Oster’s Gray Seas and Midnight Sapphire get close to my ideal, and IIRC the Midnight Sapphire is a bit more gray than Gray Seas. Kyo-no-too Aionibi is also close, but it’s been dry in most pens I’ve tried.  
Some others I’ve tried in samples:

IWI -Colors of Nature-Beginning of Winter, 

Wearingful Inks-Mature

Dominant Industry Inks-Pearl-Winter Night No. 012

I’m waiting on delivery of two inks in this color range, Wearingful’s Dorothy, and Akkermann’s  07 Koninginne Nachblauw.  

I ordered a small bottle of Diamine Celadon Cat and some White Lightning because the reports are it is dry. It's also more green than I was thinking of. I'm continuing to check out the inks mentioned. Keep 'em coming!

Taccia Ukiyo-e Ainezu is my favourite

Diamine Prussian Blue

Robert Oster Chicago - lighter blue

Robert Oster Thunderstorm darker blue

Will work for pens... :unsure:

I would say, if you're choosing between Les Toits de Paris & Vert de Gris, go for latter, unless your pen has a nice smooth nib. Les Toits has very little lubrication, compared to Vert Gris. It's a pale blue grey, lots of shading, but on the pale side.

To me, Callifolio Gris de Payne is more blue than grey and leaning a tiny bit green. L'Artisan Pastellier's Classique Gris de Payne is a bit more blue than the Callifolio version. Also consider Callifolio Bonne Esperance, which is definitely more blue than these. Callifolio Oconto has a bit of a grey look but more cheery than these.

Rohrer & Klingner Salix, nominally a blue black, is more a blue to me, with a strong grey lean. R&K Isatis Tinctoria is a wonderful violet leaning grey-blue but a 2021 limited edition which might be very difficult to find now.

Diamine Prussian Blue and Kyo No Oto Aonibi are also favorites.

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

Have you taken a look at Sailor’s Yurameku series? It’s meant to evoke the sky in different types of weather and times of the year, or day. Lots of blues, greys, greens and beautiful shading, very paper dependent as to what shows up. 

Top 5 of 22 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

Here's Aonibi and Tanzanite.

AonibiTanzanite.jpeg.90e9a2b00fbe0ac518272c352749e9d8.jpeg

To me Tanzanite is mostly notorious for not being what is shown on the box, to me it's a grey ink with a hint of blue, but not bad looking. Aonibi simply refused to work on a medium Carène, when many other inks have worked perfectly. In pens that dry out more quickly, it will be darker.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I was going to suggest J. Herbin Toits de Paris, and also Vert de Gris (my current favorite) but I see they have already been mentioned by @yazeh.

In the darker range, there's Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris (a staple) and Sailor Manyo Kikyou, which I really love.

If you're into shimmering inks, you can't go wrong with Colorverse Mystic Mountain.

There are of course tenths more, but these I've actually used.

1 hour ago, sombrueil said:

Making a list ....

If you're googling, I suggest you focus on the results that come up from "Stilo e Stile" (a pen store in Rome, Italy).

In my experience, they put up the most accurate photos representing true color (provided your screen is calibrated).

3 hours ago, lamarax said:

If you're googling, I suggest you focus on the results that come up from "Stilo e Stile" (a pen store in Rome, Italy).

In my experience, they put up the most accurate photos representing true color (provided your screen is calibrated).

Thanks! This is always a problem .... 

Was just writing with InkVent Silent Night, a dark blue, and it looked like it had a gray element.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.