Can a Music Nib be Altered to a Broad or Stub Nib?

Peony Blush

This question is more out of curiosity than necessity. Can a Platinum 3776 Century music nib be altered down to a broad or stub nib? As a three tined nib, it seems like it wouldn't be possible. Based on some light research, it seems the music nib for this pen is 1.5mm, and the broad nib is 0.6mm. It doesn't come in a stub. Such an alteration seems like a stretch if it could be done at all. Would the nib need to be replaced entirely? Can the nib need to be replaced entirely?

Clearly, I know practically nothing about all this. Anyone with experience in this area, please enlighten me. I appreciate your input.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Peony Blush

• Sailor Kenshin

• dms525

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have such a pen?  A music nib doesn't suit everyone, but those who want one really want one.

I'd just buy a different one with the nib you wanted.  I have a 3776 B.  It's a paintbrush, and I keep trying dry inks to tame it.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

12 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Do you have such a pen?  A music nib doesn't suit everyone, but those who want one really want one.

I'd just buy a different one with the nib you wanted.  I have a 3776 B.  It's a paintbrush, and I keep trying dry inks to tame it.

I've purchased one for a musician friend as a gift. If he decides not to use it for music, I'd like him to be able to still use it for writing rather than have it sit in a drawer.

I purchased a 3776 Celluloid for myself in broad that's being ground into a cursive italic. If it's as wet as you say, I hope I didn't get in over my head. :)

14 hours ago, Peony Blush said:

I've purchased one for a musician friend as a gift. If he decides not to use it for music, I'd like him to be able to still use it for writing rather than have it sit in a drawer.

I purchased a 3776 Celluloid for myself in broad that's being ground into a cursive italic. If it's as wet as you say, I hope I didn't get in over my head. :)

Mine could be a fluke.  Let me know.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I have one Platinum pen with a Music nib. I wanted it ground to cursive italic. My usual nibmeister declined. He said the tines are too hard to keep in alignment. Another (good but less experienced) nibmeister ground it for me. It's okay, but I find the B or BB Platinum/Nakaya nibs are better for custom grinding. YMMV, of course.

David

35 minutes ago, dms525 said:

I have one Platinum pen with a Music nib. I wanted it ground to cursive italic. My usual nibmeister declined. He said the tines are too hard to keep in alignment.

Thanks, David! That’s exactly what I was looking for. Makes total sense.