A Query about Parker 75 Presidential Fountain Pen (Keepsake)

parban

Hello penlovers,

Yesterday one Keepsake model of Parker 75 Presidential Fountain Pen reached me. It was sold as 'New', (obviously could be a new old stock at best), but its showing three very small dings invisible to naked eyes on the barrel. Are such blemishes normal for a new old stock of this pen? 

Could anyone please throw any light and whether I should keep the pen or return it?

My thanks and regards to all.

DSC_0492.JPG

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• parban

• jchch1950

• joss

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A NOS pen can have some blemishes originating in the way it has been kept for many years. Some pens are kept in a drawer and others inside their original box but in both cases, the pen remained without ink and wasn't used. To keep or return it is a difficult question, How much do you want the pen? What was the price? How easy is it to find another pen like that? Only you can decide.

"New" or "NOS" may refer to unused but it does not mean "mint". A pen that remained unsold in a stationery shop would be NOS, but there may be reasons why a pen did not sell, such as minor imperfections. This pen is valuable and sought after, even with imperfections but these will affect its value. So whether you keep it or return it indeed depends on what you paid for it. Asking for a partial refund is also an option.

The price was 1550 US$. Another seller offered a price of 1500$ but that pen had more such signs. To naked eyes, no spot is visible on this pen. Its 15 to 20 times magnification thats showing these. But I was wondering, is gold such a soft metal that it would get such dings even if its unused!

In 1980s, the price was 1000$ BTW!