EFNIR: Lamy Red

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Lamy Red

This is review #303 in my series. Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: This is not red.  It's bubblegum pink.  Not hot pink, not magenta.  My closest other ink is Thornton's Pink, which is lighter, but the same shade. Platinum Red (another not-red ink called Red) is more coral than this. I added Lamy Vibrant Pink so you can see it's not that kind of pink. The Goulet Pens swatch is exactly the color I see. (I did add a drop of distilled water as the cartridge showed a little evaporation, but I don't believe that caused the pink - not when everyone else agrees this is a pink "red".)

No sheen from the pen, but there was a gold sheen on the slide, so I guess if you have a gusher of a pen, you *might* get sheen.  Cameras hate this ink. Only the WiFi mini microscope camera came close.

Cleaning was quick and easy.

Erratum: In the quote, "...We may no look alike..." should be "...We may not look alike...".

Zoomed in photo (This is as close as I can get, but the darks are too dark and orange. The palest parts seem right.)
large.LamyRedZ.jpg.4897db26c1af9ec4ad79cba0812741c9.jpg

Screenshot (Text is much too dark and red. Nothing I did would fix it.)
large.LamyRed.jpg.37996ffa8a8df9e888955ebf12377e5b.jpg

Scan of Completed Review (Worst of all. The scanner makes this ink magenta. This is just totally wrong.)
large.LamyRedS.jpg.3e589694c8294f8189ec20139ba998dd.jpg

Absorbent Paper Close-up (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper) (These are fairly close, maybe a little too red on the copy paper.)
large.LamyRedAP.jpg.1ca4e7563a02df4df8685b8f670e7a46.jpg

Line width (The "I" in "Ink:". Magnification is 100x. The grid is 100x100µm. The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each. The line width for this ink is roughly 314µm. With 303 inks measured, the average line width is 297µm.) (You can see the sheen here.)
large.LamyRedLW.jpg.55e43c239dd17737d88cfea1d605f28d.jpg

Microscope image (400x. Flakes and spikes mostly. The color is wrong. Should be more bubblegum pink, but with orange halos around the spikes.)
large.LamyRedSmear.jpg.e493d4c47ad77c90ab193517d2e1c64d.jpg

Previous Review: PenBBS #274 Obsidian.

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap.

Want to influence the inky sequence? Take the "next ink" poll.

View a list of my inks, complete with review results in a google sheet.

Need to catch up on The Adventures of Quin and Makhabesh? Find the whole story here.

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• yazeh

• Sailor Kenshin

• Mercian

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks @LizEF enduring such a colour, which recalls some kind of  ice-cream:lticaptd:

The colour is well, let's to talk about it. I'm sort of speechless ;)

Now Dr. Heilari that's a new one, let's see where we are headed,  I have to admit, I miss Essri and Makhabesh. :) 

Thanks for bring a remnant of childhood chewing, back to life 🙏

18 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Thanks @LizEF enduring such a colour, which recalls some kind of  ice-cream:lticaptd:

:lol: You're most welcome!  I think the worst part was the fact that I really could not capture the color.

20 minutes ago, yazeh said:

The colour is well, let's to talk about it.

Good idea.

20 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Now Dr. Heilari that's a new one, let's see where we are headed,  I have to admit, I miss Essri and Makhabesh. :) 

:) They will come in and out, but as we're not directly dealing with healing Quin's father, he's going to be more central to the story.

21 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Thanks for bring a remnant of childhood chewing, back to life 🙏

:lol: Gladly!

Ah, Lamy Red….
I am glad to see that it is still the same colour that it was back when I first saw a review of it (& got put-off it).

I suspect that its gentle/delicate shade of ‘un-red’ may have been settled upon partially in deference to the potentially-shredded nerves of school pupils whose work was being marked with it by German schoolteachers….

And, after all, it is in keeping with the unique shade of ‘Fairy Liquid Green’ that Lamy decided upon for the teachers’ green ink so, when bought in conjunction with that ink, can be considered to constitute a congruent ‘correcting system’ for German schoolteachers….

But which, @LizEF, of the two do you, er, preferLamy Red, or Lamy Green? 😉

Edit to add:

Obvsly, it goes without saying that your most-favourite colour of Lamy ink will be their ‘Blue’ 😁

large.Mercia45x27IMG_2024-09-18-104147.PNG.4f96e7299640f06f63e43a2096e76b6e.PNG  Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.  spacer.png

A crystal coral pink sea is the feature!

I do not believe I ever had Lamy Red, not even a sample.  But I have a sample of Everstain Pilot Red!  And that is enough for me, even with Lamy's Kwik-Kleen ™️ properties.

You've left me wondering who this new wizardess actually is.  And I'm with Yazeh in missing Essri and Makhabesh, but I suspect some new developments in the wings.  

@LizEF, you have saved me once again!  And entertained me while doing so.  Please keep these coming, I look forward to them, groaning and all.  💝

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

26 minutes ago, Mercian said:

Ah, Lamy Red….
I am glad to see that it is still the same colour that it was back when I first saw a review of it (& got put-off it).

Yeah, you're still not missing anything - at least, nothing red...

27 minutes ago, Mercian said:

I suspect that its gentle/delicate shade of ‘un-red’ may have been settled upon partially in deference to the potentially-shredded nerves of school pupils whose work was being marked with it by German schoolteachers….

:rolleyes:

27 minutes ago, Mercian said:

And, after all, it is in keeping with the unique shade of ‘Fairy Liquid Green’ that Lamy decided upon for the teachers’ green ink so, when bought in conjunction with that ink, can be considered to constitute a congruent ‘correcting system’ for German schoolteachers….

:unsure:

28 minutes ago, Mercian said:

But which, @LizEF, of the two do you, er, preferLamy Red, or Lamy Green? 😉

Neither?  I find them equally undesirable.

29 minutes ago, Mercian said:

Edit to add:

Obvsly, it goes without saying that your most-favourite colour of Lamy ink will be their ‘Blue’ 😁

:lol: Obviously.

2 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

A crystal coral pink sea is the feature!

:D Yes, the only redeeming feature.

2 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

I do not believe I ever had Lamy Red, not even a sample.  But I have a sample of Everstain Pilot Red!  And that is enough for me, even with Lamy's Kwik-Kleen ™️ properties.

:)

3 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

You've left me wondering who this new wizardess actually is.  And I'm with Yazeh in missing Essri and Makhabesh, but I suspect some new developments in the wings.  

Sorry for the lack of M & E.  They will come in now and then during the scenes at Quin's parents' home.

4 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

@LizEF, you have saved me once again!  And entertained me while doing so.  Please keep these coming, I look forward to them, groaning and all.  💝

:) Glad to do it!  Thank you! And will do!

3 hours ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

@Mercian, I've been written to with Lamy Green.  🤢

I say! What a faux-pas!

I’ve never used the Blue/black, but the Blue is a perfectly good ‘washable blue’, and although I’ve only ever used one cartridge of the Black, I found that I liked it far more than I expected to :thumbup:

large.Mercia45x27IMG_2024-09-18-104147.PNG.4f96e7299640f06f63e43a2096e76b6e.PNG  Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.  spacer.png

26 minutes ago, Mercian said:

I’ve never used the Blue/black, but the Blue is a perfectly good ‘washable blue’, and although I’ve only ever used one cartridge of the Black, I found that I liked it far more than I expected to :thumbup:

I rather like the Blue-Black - it looks good from my Pelikan m405, F.  The good thing about the Black is that it writes a very fine line (and is overall, a decent ink).

3 hours ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

I've been written to with Lamy Green.  🤢

And apparently you at the letter (and it turned you green)... :P

Ah! Oh! Another one of those "red" inks! 🤔 

Thank you, @LizEF, for the review of a Lamy ink and for the connection to Lamytown! 👍 Where else should this not-red ink go?

I guess, Lamy Red, Lamy Crystal Rhodonite, Pelikan 4001 Red and Pelikan Edelstein Ruby are all mixed in the same big pot and filled into different bottles*. But wait, Rhodonite is, maybe, a tiny bit more towards pink. Except for 4001 Red I observed small amounts of those glimmer particles in the bottle. I guess (it seems that's what I can do best), it is not intentionally added glitter, it looks more like some crystallisation of ink components and appears preferably when the ink ages. However, the glitter is quite subtle on paper, but it does appear in the microscopy as well. :) 

The story seems to culminate into a new peak tension. When all members of one family gather in one room .... OMG 🙄, I see disaster ahead! ;) @LizEF, please be careful, we need Quin, his family and all members of the magical party in healthy condition! Please! :thumbup: 

*) if you stain each finger of your hand with another of these four inks, they will all look the same!

One life!

6 hours ago, InesF said:

Ah! Oh! Another one of those "red" inks! 🤔 

:lol: Indeed.  Apparently language is flexible...

6 hours ago, InesF said:

Thank you, @LizEF, for the review of a Lamy ink and for the connection to Lamytown! 👍 Where else should this not-red ink go?

:D  You're very welcome!  Congrats on your attention to detail!  (Honestly, it was a fluke that a Lamy ink was used for this episode.)

6 hours ago, InesF said:

I guess, Lamy Red, Lamy Crystal Rhodonite, Pelikan 4001 Red and Pelikan Edelstein Ruby are all mixed in the same big pot and filled into different bottles*.

According to one of my Instagram subscribers, Jinhao Red is from the same batch... 

6 hours ago, InesF said:

The story seems to culminate into a new peak tension. When all members of one family gather in one room .... OMG 🙄, I see disaster ahead! ;)

:D  Forced family-reunion...  (Can't have one of those without drama.)

6 hours ago, InesF said:

@LizEF, please be careful, we need Quin, his family and all members of the magical party in healthy condition! Please! :thumbup:

:D Well, that's the goal - heal Dad.  Fingers crossed, and all that.

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

:D  You're very welcome!  Congrats on your attention to detail!  (Honestly, it was a fluke that a Lamy ink was used for this episode.)

Creativity works in mysterious ways :) 

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

:D  Forced family-reunion...  (Can't have one of those without drama.)

Isn't the element of forced implied in family & reunion :lticaptd:

12 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Isn't the element of forced implied in family & reunion :lticaptd:

:lol: Sadly, that is all too often the case.  I remember happy reunions with my mother's large family (8 siblings) through my teens.  Eventually too many moved too far, Mom's parents passed, and the reunions dwindled and stopped.

1 minute ago, LizEF said:

:lol: Sadly, that is all too often the case.  I remember happy reunions with my mother's large family (8 siblings) through my teens.  Eventually too many moved too far, Mom's parents passed, and the reunions dwindled and stopped.

Same here. As a child, I loved family reunions. I could run amok (boys will be boys) find a new friend in a distant cousin, pull a few pigtails. :D I'm guessing when there are a lot of people then tensions are diluted :) 

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

I'm guessing when there are a lot of people then tensions are diluted :) 

Exactly.  You aren't forced to spend excessive time with that one relative you can't stand. :lol:

46 minutes ago, LizEF said:

Exactly.  You aren't forced to spend excessive time with that one relative you can't stand. :lol:

I would say "relatives" you can't stand :D

38 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

I'd gladly stand all of them if they were still with us.  Had a wonderful time at the first and only family reunion years ago.  

:wub: