What fountain pen ink would you resurrect?

The_Beginner

On 9/15/2024 at 2:00 PM, lamarax said:

A couple of Montblanc inks: Racing Green, Alfred Hitchcock... Oh, and Lamy Petrol for sure too.

I have Petrol.  What did you like about it?

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The_Beginner

• inkstainedruth

• kestrel

• Misfit

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

I have Petrol.  What did you like about it?

Its particular hue basically. I know it's not the most luscious thing out there -- hey, this is Lamy after all! But,

as my late great-uncle from Rome, GA used to say: "de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum" 😉

7 hours ago, Claes said:

Were the Pelikan Blue Blacks that were made in Argentina and Chile different from those made in Europe?

Greetings!

Pelikan ink made in Argentina/Chile keeps more time blue in bottles and paper and turned black in slowly way,in fact, it was usual to find Pelikan BB european formula ink completely black before use it...in sealed bottles...

Regards.

On 9/15/2024 at 11:53 AM, inkstainedruth said:

Another vote for vintage Skrip Peacock, even though I was able to score a nearly full 8 ounce bottle a number of years ago at an antiques mall booth.  And another vote for Iroshizuku Tsuyu-kusa (I never understood why it never got the love on here that some of the other Iroshizuku inks get).

And of course just kicking myself that I didn't get a second bottle of the MB Jimi Hendrix ink when it was still available -- even at that price (my major mistake was to run it through the Sterling Ciselé Parker 75, which has a B nib -- great combo, but it meant I was going through the ink a lot faster as a result.... :wallbash:

And probably a vote for vintage Quink Permanent Violet even though still I have a lot of it (another instance of buying a nearly full large bottle of it, and then decanting it -- like I did with Skrip Peacock -- into smaller eye-dropper top bottles....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Full disclosure there is a fella selling the jimi ink on ebay now i havent vetted them but i thought to give you a heads up just in case.

As i see it you are never an expert just a beginner learning a new trick!

5 minutes ago, The_Beginner said:

Full disclosure there is a fella selling the jimi ink on ebay now i havent vetted them but i thought to give you a heads up just in case.

And I just looked at the listing, and almost had a heart attack at the price the guy is charging.  I thought I was a little crazy buying a bottle of it at its *original* retail price.  But this? :yikes:  Thanks, but that's gonna be a serious hard pass....  (Or, depending on how you look at it, a really EASY pass...)

I may see about picking up some samples of various similar looking purple inks at some point (Diamine has a quite a range, including from some of the previous years' Inkvent calendars; and depending on what my budget ends up being like -- and what I can find of some things I actually need besides getting pens repaired at OPS this year -- I may end up adding some sample vials to an order or two this fall to try and hit the threshold(s) for free shipping.

Ruth Morrisson aka instainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

5 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

And I just looked at the listing, and almost had a heart attack at the price the guy is charging.  I thought I was a little crazy buying a bottle of it at its *original* retail price.  But this? :yikes:  Thanks, but that's gonna be a serious hard pass....  (Or, depending on how you look at it, a really EASY pass...)

I may see about picking up some samples of various similar looking purple inks at some point (Diamine has a quite a range, including from some of the previous years' Inkvent calendars; and depending on what my budget ends up being like -- and what I can find of some things I actually need besides getting pens repaired at OPS this year -- I may end up adding some sample vials to an order or two this fall to try and hit the threshold(s) for free shipping.

Ruth Morrisson aka instainedruth

😅sounds good, just thought to give ya heads up, hopefully with the two inkvent calenders we get some amazing inks again!

Sometime in the late 1970s, I bought an ink in Germany that I would love to get hold of again. Sadly, I can't remember the name or manufacturer (so maybe it still exists, even???)

It was a really dark green - when I say dark, I mean REALLY dark green. Almost black, but with the slightest hint of green if you  looked for it. If you didn't look, you would have assumed it was black - yet the green was clearly there. 

The bottle was square, about the size of a Rohrer and Klinger bottle, maybe a touch smaller. I remember it having a very think base. Round black plastic lid. The label was quite plain, with black writing, and as far as I recall, no logo.

I don't know if that rings any bells with anyone? I doubt I will find the ink again, but if nothing else, I'd love to know the name of the manufacturer.

Perhaps this one?

https://fountainfeder.de/DeAtramentis-Document-Ink-Dark-Green-45ml/SW10102

(But of course, just because you bought in it Germany, it does not have to be have been made in Germany.)

You can also play around with these settings to find the right colour:

https://inkswatch.com/choice.html?hexColorChoice=596e5a

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Tsuyu-kusa of course. Luckily, I managed to stock up  before it disappeared.

Another blue I miss is the Birmingham Cathedral of Learning.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Montblanc Boheme Blue comes first to mind. I think it only came in cartridges and I sadly only bought one pack. I still have a couple cartridges left and am obviously very picky about when I use them. 

3 hours ago, jmccarty3 said:

Tsuyu-kusa of course. Luckily, I managed to stock up  before it disappeared.

Another blue I miss is the Birmingham Cathedral of Learning.

Hmmm.  Forgot I had that one.  I'll have to dig that bottle out and ink something up with it....  Thanks for reminding me that it's one of the Birmingham inks I actually have.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Parker Penman Sapphire

Down to my last 3 bottles, and a few black Penman bottles as well...

hit the mother lode at some bankruptcy sale place 30 years ago

there it be...  :D

image.jpeg.32f2fc4cc3e62cc4a7ff20b505ae8a69.jpeg

Yeah, MB Leo Tolstoy was a nice one.  I keep trying to find a substitute for it but have so far been unsuccessful.

1 hour ago, inkstainedruth said:

I keep trying to find a substitute for it but have so far been unsuccessful.

levenger's Skies of Blue was the closest i could find sadly.

Oh, I’d want to resurrect the entire line of Caran d’Ache Colors of the Earth inks. I didn’t know about them until they were discontinued. I wanted Amazon, Grand Canyon and Storm. 

@The_Beginner I saw somewhere here, that it was possible, that Kaweco might have made the Caran d’Ache inks. I have Kaweco Summer Purple. In a review of it here, a person responded it would make all the Storm ink fanatics happy. 

I saved images of the Caran d’Ache Colors of the Earth series and the Kaweco series. It’s amazing how close they are. 

Posted Image

And I’d also like the Nemosine inks, except for the shimmer ones, to come back. 

Posted Image

I'd resurect Parker Penman Sapphire, of course, and MB Blue-Black (the old, original, permanent, for documents version). Then I wouldn't have to be so miserly with my remaining stocks of both.

MB Racing Green - blah. Sorry, but I disliked the colour and sold my two bottles a while ago (to someone here, who was pleased to get them, so nothing wasted).

I didn't realise Carane D'Arche Storm was no longer available (or have I misunderstood?). I have an unopened bottle I bought in Canada years ago; must give it a try.

8 hours ago, Chris1 said:

I didn't realise Carane D'Arche Storm was no longer available (or have I misunderstood?). I have an unopened bottle I bought in Canada years ago; must give it a try.

I think so

That would be PPS for me as well. There is something bugging me about some odd old ink I cannot remember, but it being so, it's pointless for now.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.