What fountain pen ink would you resurrect?

The_Beginner

SO same formula to the T, with the loss of some new Iroshizuku i wanted to ask overall whats an ink you would bring back be it super vintage or just recently removed.

For me it would Caran D' Ache storm an amazing a purple that i havent found any that were just that exact shade!

As i see it you are never an expert just a beginner learning a new trick!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The_Beginner

• inkstainedruth

• kestrel

• Misfit

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ink? Tsuyu Kusa is THE ink for me.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

34 minutes ago, senzen said:

Ink? Tsuyu Kusa is THE ink for me.

I forgot the word ink in the title my mistake i will see if i can fix it.

Edit There we have it fixed up

A couple of Montblanc inks: Racing Green, Alfred Hitchcock... Oh, and Lamy Petrol for sure too.

Sheaffer Peacock Blue and Persian Rose, and the old Parker Blue-Black with Solv-x. Honestly, the whole Solv-x line as that black was better behaved than the current iteration.  There was a really light blue that was one of the Pilot 100 anniversary inks that I loved, and Lamy Petrol also gets my vote. There was also a nice ST Dupont Violet.

Top 5 of 21 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Pilot Custom 743 FA, Pilot Green/ Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

Another vote for vintage Skrip Peacock, even though I was able to score a nearly full 8 ounce bottle a number of years ago at an antiques mall booth.  And another vote for Iroshizuku Tsuyu-kusa (I never understood why it never got the love on here that some of the other Iroshizuku inks get).

And of course just kicking myself that I didn't get a second bottle of the MB Jimi Hendrix ink when it was still available -- even at that price (my major mistake was to run it through the Sterling Ciselé Parker 75, which has a B nib -- great combo, but it meant I was going through the ink a lot faster as a result.... :wallbash:

And probably a vote for vintage Quink Permanent Violet even though still I have a lot of it (another instance of buying a nearly full large bottle of it, and then decanting it -- like I did with Skrip Peacock -- into smaller eye-dropper top bottles....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

5 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

Another vote for vintage Skrip Peacock, even though I was able to score a nearly full 8 ounce bottle a number of years ago at an antiques mall booth.  And another vote for Iroshizuku Tsuyu-kusa (I never understood why it never got the love on here that some of the other Iroshizuku inks get).

And of course just kicking myself that I didn't get a second bottle of the MB Jimi Hendrix ink when it was still available -- even at that price (my major mistake was to run it through the Sterling Ciselé Parker 75, which has a B nib -- great combo, but it meant I was going through the ink a lot faster as a result.... :wallbash:

And probably a vote for vintage Quink Permanent Violet even though still I have a lot of it (another instance of buying a nearly full large bottle of it, and then decanting it -- like I did with Skrip Peacock -- into smaller eye-dropper top bottles....

For those large ounce bottles, how do you keep them from spoiling? And do you test their PH value before using?

Levenger Pomegranate would certainly be on my list.  A beautiful dark red the color of the fruit itself, with a great gold sheen. Even on Made in Brazil composition books. 

The closest I have found color wise is Diamine Writers Blood, bit it isn't the same.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

10 minutes ago, Runnin_Ute said:

Levenger Pomegranate would certainly be on my list.  A beautiful dark red the color of the fruit itself, with a great gold sheen. Even on Made in Brazil composition books. 

The closest I have found color wise is Diamine Writers Blood, bit it isn't the same.

sir im both happy an mad at you for showing me an amazing color yet discontinued 

Birmingham Frick Stained Glass.  I miss this one so much I spent a lot of time developing an almost identical substitute but I still miss the original.

Birmingham Damselfly.  Lovely color that is an almost perfect match for the color of one of my favorite insects (an Enallagma damselfly, of course).

Levenger Fireball.  It still shows up on eBay occasionally but only as part of a box of six bottles of different colors of Levenger ink (Pomegranate is NOT on of them).  I have stashed enough of it to last a while.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

These three:

MB Racing Green

MB Blue-Black (IG)

Parker Penman Sapphire

1 hour ago, The_Beginner said:

For those large ounce bottles, how do you keep them from spoiling? And do you test their PH value before using?

I just decanted them into smaller (2 oz. or 4 oz), dark color bottles (which have eyedropper caps, for easy filling).  The "new" bottles live in boxes so they're kept out of the light.  And no, I didn't test their pH.  I mostly have used them in either pens that are easily cleaned, or vintage pens.  

So far, I've not run across any SITB ["stuff in the bottle", aka mold].  I have had some iron gall inks go bad (the iron content precipitating out of solution) but I've also had that happen with a NEW bottle of Akkerman Ijzer-Galnoten because I didn't go through 60 ml fast enough (and this is the reason that I've never tried ESSRI even though a lot of people like it -- I would DEFINITELY not go through 100 ml fast enough -- even if it was the ONLY ink I used....

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

16 minutes ago, kestrel said:

Birmingham Frick Stained Glass.  I miss this one so much I spent a lot of time developing an almost identical substitute but I still miss the original.

Birmingham Damselfly.  Lovely color that is an almost perfect match for the color of one of my favorite insects (an Enallagma damselfly, of course).

Never tried either of those, but the one I really miss of theirs was Smithfield Street Bridge Truss Blue.  I could never manage to get a full bottle of it when it was made (it was always OOS) -- and only was able to score a few sample vials.

33 minutes ago, kestrel said:

Birmingham Frick Stained Glass

This reminds me of purple dream from diamine but not quite i can see why it is loved

Definitely Lamy Petrol. Stocked up with cartridges but it limits me to using Lamy pens.

The entire Blackstone catalog and Taccia's Lipstick series

MB British Racing Green!

It was my every day ink before I learned that MB stops producing 

Inks whenever.

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

Pelikan Blue Black, original iron gall formula, made in 1950'-60', made in Argentina and Chile,specially

Regards.

Were the Pelikan Blue Blacks that were made in Argentina and Chile different from those made in Europe?