Montblanc Meisterstuck - Origins Coral (Limited edition)

yazeh

Montblanc Meisterstuck - Origins Coral - (Limited Edition)

This ink review was part of a blind test on the Fpgeeks website. Many thanks @JungleJim for the sample. 

It is a limited edition of Montblanc, celebrating their 100th anniversary and my first Montblanc ink. :) 

According to their website, the ink is inspired by both the 1920s Montblanc writing instruments and the coral reefs. 

It writes sort of a reddish pink colour drying to a rusty orange. It’s subtly different depending which paper you use.  Paradoxically, I enjoyed it most on copy paper, and Tomoe River 68 gsm. 

On copy paper, depending the wetness of pen/ nib width, pressure, you may or may not have woolly lines, ghosting, bleed through all together or not at all.  :D 

There is some subtle shading, especially on Japanese paper. 

Chroma:

large.Chroma-60.jpeg.2ecb80db359e144068ed3140dc3ee923.jpeg

Writing Samples:

I think this would be quite fun to use on thick absorbent paper (like Peter Pauper) and on white Japanese Paper. Despite the massacre it looks on Hammermill 20 gr copy paper, it behaved more or less ok between European Ef up to B nibs.  

large.Rhodia60.jpeg.0650e20191ce6c639fba94adc8c354ed.jpeg

large.Midori-60.jpeg.31d37b3e0417adb0a6440cb2a389b381.jpeg

large.TR68gr-60.jpeg.3dce52562ba9693d8be70822e57110f4.jpeg

large.Iroful-60.jpeg.6321e7bdb747e868b8f838a1ef181d0a.jpeg

large.Hammermill-60.jpg.0538ecd192ee826582e1cea0ec545881.jpg

Photo:

The blue line is Rohrer and Klingner Königsblau (Royal blue)

large.Montblanc-OriginsCoral.jpg.b6f6c18dfb3e10475f501474ca17ecbd.jpg

Comparison:

large.Comparison-601.jpeg.6c06444d8801ae4cf825ddae8b62122b.jpeg

Water test:

Left side 10 seconds under running water.

large.Watertest60.jpeg.433721df83521f793e055662b64e9298.jpeg

Artwork:

Fox and the grapes:  a rebuttal to Aesop's fox and the grapes fable.  - Paper is Talens mixed media Paper. 

Montlblanc Origins Coral

Noodler's Lexington Gray/ Black Swan in English Roses

Diamine x Niche Pens Alexandrite (non-shimmering)

fox_and_the_grapes_by_yazeh1_di3fsuz-pre

·      Pens used: Kaweco (EF/F/M/B, BB), Pilot F3A (Ef, semi-flex)

·      What I liked: The colour. 

·      What I did not like: The colour with wide nibs, lack of water resistance  

·       What some might not like: Woolly lines on copy paper ;) Price 😛 

·      Shading: Subtle

·      Ghosting: Depending nib/ pen/ pressure on cheap paper. 

·      Bleed through: Same as above. 

·      Flow Rate: Restrained. 

·      Lubrication: Lower than average. 

·      Nib Dry-out: Did not notice. 

·      Start-up:  Ok

·      Saturation:  Pastel

·      Shading Potential: Depending paper, wetness of pen, nib size. 

·      Sheen: Did not see.  

·      Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Yes on copy paper, ironically with EF nibs (Japanese and Euro) 

·      Nib Creep / “Crud”: Did not notice.

·      Staining (pen): No. 

·      Clogging: Did not notice.

·      Cleaning: Easy

·      Water resistance: Non-existent. 

·      Availability:  50 ml bottles. 

Please don't hesitate to share your experience, writing samples or any other comments. The more the merrier  :)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yazeh

• LizEF

• Sailor Kenshin

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review, as always, @yazeh!

Funny, unfunny quotes. :D Nice swatch kitty and mousey.  Apparently Miss Kitty couldn't manage to open her umbrella in time to save her from the deluge. :lol:  Very cute foxy pondering grapes.

I think this color is not for me, but I always enjoy your reviews, Yazeh!  Thank you!

9 minutes ago, LizEF said:

Great review, as always, @yazeh!

Thanks! 

Funny, unfunny quotes. :D

If you refer to his "wife" one-liners, he and his wife were devoted together :D 

I think this color is not for me, but I always enjoy your reviews, Yazeh!  Thank you!

A pleasure! 

9 minutes ago, yazeh said:

If you refer to his "wife" one-liners, he and his wife were devoted together :D 

:) No, I mean he's making humorous those things that should not really be funny (e.g. it's not humorous that our politicians really are a joke).  (Yes, this is one of the ways we make jokes - not finding fault, just observing the reality.)

Aaahhh, the great Henny Youngman!  😹

I may have seen this ink in real life.  In any case, I like it!  And the comparison inks, got a couple of those, like Sundowner and Skrip.  The MB ink appears to have at least some water resistance?  

Great illos, too.  Thanks once again, @yazeh, for this Ink-stravaganza.  I stopped buying MB inks a while back, so this is a visual treat.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

5 hours ago, LizEF said:

:) No, I mean he's making humorous those things that should not really be funny (e.g. it's not humorous that our politicians really are a joke).  (Yes, this is one of the ways we make jokes - not finding fault, just observing the reality.)

Sometimes laughing about tragic events, makes us come to terms with them in a way, but not with everyone :) 

5 hours ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Aaahhh, the great Henny Youngman!  😹

The king of one-liners :D 

I may have seen this ink in real life.  In any case, I like it!  And the comparison inks, got a couple of those, like Sundowner and Skrip.  The MB ink appears to have at least some water resistance?  

No. It doesn't. Look at the written script :) 

Great illos, too.  Thanks once again, @yazeh, for this Ink-stravaganza.  I stopped buying MB inks a while back, so this is a visual treat.

A pleasure! 

Not a color for me by any stretch of the imagination.  But thanks as usual for the comprehensive review.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

3 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

Not a color for me by any stretch of the imagination.  But thanks as usual for the comprehensive review.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

A pleasure :)

Thank you, @yazeh, for this ink review and for the lovely artwork! :thumbup:

Cat behind the waterfall - such a difficult thing to draw! ;) :lol: The umbrella wasn't necessary; mouse never doubted that cat will step sideways out being completely dry*. :) 

I also love the fox line and wash! 👍

Additionally, I'm thankful for your review for economical reasons! The MB ink looks - at least from the photos - almost exactly like the unlimited and well behaving F.Schimpf Sundowner. I have a bottle Sundowner and love it. No need to spend money for the limited MB ink! 👍 So good to know! :) 

*) For us observers: it can be recognised by cat's dress, whose shape still appears dry.

One life!

3 hours ago, InesF said:

Thank you, @yazeh, for this ink review and for the lovely artwork! :thumbup:

A pleasure :) 

3 hours ago, InesF said:

Cat behind the waterfall - such a difficult thing to draw! ;) :lol: The umbrella wasn't necessary; mouse never doubted that cat will step sideways out being completely dry*. :) 

:lticaptd:

3 hours ago, InesF said:

I also love the fox line and wash! 👍

Danke!

3 hours ago, InesF said:

Additionally, I'm thankful for your review for economical reasons! The MB ink looks - at least from the photos - almost exactly like the unlimited and well behaving F.Schimpf Sundowner. I have a bottle Sundowner and love it. No need to spend money for the limited MB ink! 👍 So good to know! :) 

Glad to be of service :)

3 hours ago, InesF said:

*) For us observers: it can be recognised by cat's dress, whose shape still appears dry.

:D