What has happened to Edson?

parban

Hello penlovers,

I purchased a new blue Edson from ebay six years ago with box at around 450 US$. I did not like its nail nib, liked its blue colour and design though and sold it to a friend.

Currently the price of Edson is skyrocketing in every penselling site and on ebay. What could be the reason behind this? After all, at least Edson's build quality is not that good (the inlaid part of nib gets scratched easily and the cap's gold plating is not that good and wears off soon) and its nib is nail like.

Now a perfect blue Edson and a used but good condition Sterling Edson costs almost the same on ebay! Is it obvious that the Sterling one is a better buy (the blue or green look prettier though) because of metal value and durability?

Your kind comments please.

My regards to all.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• parban

• davisgt

• senzen

• Paul-in-SF

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if this is a scarcity factor.  When I first started dipping my toes into the World of Waterman in the late 90s, you would often see Edsons in the wild. I was particularly in awe of people who owned a Boucheron. So sexy. I would also see, although less frequently,  the Waterman Serenite. Just gorgeous. Now I never see them in the wild. 

Take a look at the completed sales on eBay, and you will see that most of the asking prices were not met (especially the higher ones), and that the sellers accepted a lower offer (in these cases they don't show the amount of the lower offer). 

Another factor could be perceived collectability. This is not a model that I have followed, but perhaps it is running in the same pattern as the modern Parker Centennials, which are still being made, but prices for 20- to 30-year-old pens are strong and holding steady. 

I myself had availed two such offers, not below 900$, but received scratched cap and body pens and had to return! Its not that NOS are selling at lower values! May be 1000 to 1100$ is being bargained to 900$! So its not that acceping offers means muuch lower prices!

What is more surprising is that Sterling LE Edsons and Blue or Red Edsons are being offered at almost same price! This seems absurd. Thanks.

BTW, does edson rollerball pen's cap and barrel fit the fountain pen? Is it known to anybody? Thanks.

Edit: No the barrel will not work, as I came to know from a previous post on FPN. The cap fits. Thanks

There are people who love the Edson.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell