Duofold identification

CVR

I've got a striped Parker from 1945 with an arrow clip, but with a Duofold imprint. Of course, if there were a "Vacumatic" imprint, we'd have the "Vacufold", so this isn't one.

Is the combination of the arrow clip and the Duofold imprint also common? I haven't seen this specific combination in the sources I've looked at.

Thanks.

pen_and_cap.thumb.jpg.f0b9eb27177a8e5995a13c1e15ef3ea7.jpg

date_code.thumb.jpg.1e7f711dff86234cfc0611fe6abbf102.jpg

filler_rod.thumb.jpg.8911a9ad7c7766b374a221d4468239ca.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CVR

• Format

• joss

• Brian-McQueen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Brian-McQueen said:

You've got a parts mix pen.  At some point, the clip and nib have been replaced with Vacumatic ones.  The cap band on a Vacufold is different from this one and specific to the Vacufold.

Yes, I didn't think this was the "Vacufold", since it lacks the "Vacumatic" imprint. I was just wondering if this was its original form. Parker and other pen manufacturers did mix and match parts from different models, especially when they shifted production away from one model to another. A good way to use leftover parts.

On 9/15/2024 at 4:22 AM, CVR said:

I was just wondering if this was its original form.

For what it is worth: I have a 4th Q 1945 striped Duofold with the characteristics of the "Vacumatic done in Duofold striped celluloid" (stacked coin cap band, split arrow clip and arrow nib) but with a Duofold barrel imprint. The nib and clip may be replacements, but the stacked coin cap band was indeed unique to the Vacumatic version of this model. The most logical explanation is then that a striped celluloid Vacumatic cap ended up on a striped celluloid Duofold barrel that has a wrong Vacumatic nib. I suppose we will never know if it came like this from the factory, or if these were factory replacements due to a repair, or if it was assembled from someone's well-stocked parts bin.

A favorite pen of mine in my favorite color combination.

I would really enjoy the pen for exactly what it is, a pen with plenty of history.

Is that a date scratched on to the plunger?

8 hours ago, Format said:

A favorite pen of mine in my favorite color combination.

I would really enjoy the pen for exactly what it is, a pen with plenty of history.

Is that a date scratched on to the plunger?

The numbers on the plunger look like 13-59 or 13-56. Hard to tell what they might signify, or why someone scratched numbers on a plunger rod.

7 hours ago, CVR said:

The numbers on the plunger look like 13-59 or 13-56. Hard to tell what they might signify, or why someone scratched numbers on a plunger rod.

My thought was that it was scratched in by a repair person to record the last time it had a new diaphragm, although just why is another puzzle.