IKKAKU by Nahvalur

The_Beginner

What have you guys heard about IKKAKU by Nahvalur. The pens seem to be solid, but i have heard about this brand which to my research seems to based out of china, with pen chalet usually carrying their exclusive variants. Are they a good brand does anyone perchance know? ty in advance

As i see it you are never an expert just a beginner learning a new trick!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The_Beginner

• Mark from Yorkshire

• inkstainedruth

• Paul-in-SF

Nahvalur not my favourite brand. Bit too pricey for what they are. QC not quite there.

Mark from the Latin Marcus follower of mars, the god of war.

Yorkshire Born, Yorkshire Bred. 

my current favourite author is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

largebronze-letter-exc.pngflying-letter-exc.png

9 minutes ago, Mark from Yorkshire said:

Nahvalur not my favourite brand. Bit too pricey for what they are. QC not quite there.

QC for the nibs or the pens themselves?

Pens themselves wonderful nibs. Easily penetrated by ink

not the best piston in the world

6 minutes ago, Mark from Yorkshire said:

Pens themselves wonderful nibs. Easily penetrated by ink

not the best piston in the world

Ah i see, i only ask cause i saw a nice one pen chalet so i was wondering if it was worth it to get.

The ikkaku may be different. The one I had problems with was the Horizon. The piston failed on me and blue ink bypassed the piston and got into the resin staining it. The tideland I have which is ebonite is a lot better. I love their nibs.

IKKAKU pens seem to be very expensive urushi pens, starting at $649 and going up from there. My very limited experience with Nahvalur does not encourage me to trust them to get a delicate (and potentially toxic) material exactly right this early in their experience with it. The way they are advertising it makes it sound like it is made by someone else, and only marketed by Nahvalur. That would be a good thing to know, one way or the other. 

4 hours ago, Paul-in-SF said:

IKKAKU pens seem to be very expensive urushi pens, starting at $649 and going up from there. My very limited experience with Nahvalur does not encourage me to trust them to get a delicate (and potentially toxic) material exactly right this early in their experience with it. The way they are advertising it makes it sound like it is made by someone else, and only marketed by Nahvalur. That would be a good thing to know, one way or the other. 

hmm, ill take what you said into account and i was thinking the same of them outsourcing the material then them putting it together

The Ikkaku look very nice pens indeed. I can’t justify the price to buy one and having already binned one Nahvalur I would not want to take the risk. I agree also with what @Paul-in-SF has said. I also would not touch their retractable fountain pen for similar reasons. I had an Endless Creator that is in the same price bracket that was nothing but trouble and leaked. That ended up in the bin and put me off of retractable fountain pens.

@Paul-in-SF Thanks for the heads up about this model.  Urushi and I do NOT get along at ALL....  And the price?  :yikes:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

8 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

@Paul-in-SF Thanks for the heads up about this model.  Urushi and I do NOT get along at ALL....  And the price?  :yikes:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I understand the price i kinda lucked out and getting a new one from penchalet for about 300$ with tax ofc:D

Edited by The_Beginner
adding emoji