Pelikan Edelstein Star Ruby

yazeh

Many thanks @Lithium466 for the sample. 

This is a very, very wet, hot pink/fuchsia.  It has the subtlety of a sledgehammer. :) 

Surprisingly, it’s very well behaved on copy paper, but there was some bleed through Reverse Ef/Ef/F and flex on Iroful.  The colour lightens, the broader the nib. There is minimal shading, even on Iroful. 

Ink has no water resistance but as it's pink, it's a pain to clean, but has surprisingly fast dry time on Rhodia. ;) 

There is a hint of gold sheen when applied liberally on paper. 

If you like wet inks, flashy colours, and dream of rubies, this is for you :D 

Chroma:

large.Chroma-StarRuby1.jpeg.a2c6ffdc3ffc8117874ab2af8eb3006a.jpeg

Writing Samples:

I’ve added Iroful paper to the lineup. Even with Iroful it shows no nuance. 

large.Rhodia-StarRuby.jpeg.f4f5a905f485bc0a7ba346694b08fb0f.jpeg

large.Midori-StarRuby.jpeg.02ba8c8d032ba82869151a46da7d8bbb.jpeg

large.Tr68gr-StarRuby.jpeg.85ffe2b61d253f543ad882250341ebbb.jpeg

large.Iroful-StarRuby.jpeg.aaeeff6b44d5f9cd2c5aac92a9835abd.jpeg

large.Hammermill-StarRuby.jpg.7796f26038d00c5b7c29e36905e17c54.jpg

Photo:

Photo was taken with natural northern light :) 

large.20240911_0913031.jpg.87fe1daa8f06c8144c1a0487f2b8e77f.jpg

Comparison:

large.Comparison-StarRuby.jpeg.cb49ceef15c56cc386e590f215ca8506.jpeg

Water test:

Left side 10 seconds under running water. 

large.Watertest-StarRyby.jpeg.81b35bd4e9865d6266ea8dd18778c104.jpeg

Art Work:

Ballerina 

J Herbin Café des îles (in different dilutions)

Noodler's Lexington Gray 

Rohrer & Klingner Königsblau (diluted)

loft_by_yazeh1_di2ry0h-pre.jpg?token=eyJ

·      Pens used: Lamy (Reverse EF/F/M/B,)  Kanwrite Flex.

·      What I liked: A wet ink that can be well behaved on copy paper. 

·      What I did not like: The colour is too loud; ink is too wet ;) 

·       What some might not like: Too wet, colour, not suitable for a wet pen. 

·      Shading: Minimal.

·      Ghosting: Minimal on cheap paper. 

·      Bleed through: Very faint, on copy paper Surprisingly on Iroful paper with flex nib/ Ef/F nibs. 

·      Flow Rate: Very wet

·      Lubrication: Good.

·      Nib Dry-out: Did not notice. 

·      Start-up:  Ok

·      Saturation:  Zowie!

·      Shading Potential: Dismal. 

·      Sheen: Faint gold sheen on heavy application.  

·      Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Did not notice. 

·      Nib Creep / “Crud”: Did not notice.

·      Staining (pen): No. 

·      Clogging: Did not notice.

·      Cleaning: Pain. Lamy need to be soaked in solution. 

·      Water resistance: Don’t bother. 

·      Availability: 30 ml bottles. 

Please don't hesitate to share your experience, writing samples or any other comments. The more the merrier  :)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yazeh

• LizEF

• InesF

• Lithium466

4 hours ago, yazeh said:

hot pink/fuchsia.  It has the subtlety of a sledgehammer. :) 

:D Just how I like my pinks!  (Apparently, some professional contractors will paint their tools pink because pink tools are less likely to be stolen from a job site!)

4 hours ago, yazeh said:

Ink has no water resistance but as it's pink, it's a pain to clean

Isn't that strange?  We may need a scientist like Professor Eeeness ( @InesF ) to explain this to us! ;)

Good quotes.  That Diamine Hope Pink reminds me of the color of Baskin Robbins Bubblegum ice cream (from the '80s).  I doubt the ice cream was actually that color, but for some reason, the swatch reminds me of it.  (I took one bite of the ice cream and nearly puked.  The rest went straight into the trash. :( )

Ruby-eyed kitty?  Hmm. I'm imagining lasers shooting from those eyes. :D

Oh my!  Poor water-test kitty.  Talk about "washed away"!

Very nice ballerina drawing.  I'm thinking that's Mousetor Borge at the piano. ;)   The ballerina will soon be very frustrated, but the audience will be rolling in the aisles. :D

43 minutes ago, LizEF said:

:D Just how I like my pinks!

I know :D 

(Apparently, some professional contractors will paint their tools pink because pink tools are less likely to be stolen from a job site!)

I didn't know that, But I saw them once use a neon pink cord on a job site. They said it's that could be seen easily :) 

Isn't that strange?  We may need a scientist like Professor Eeeness ( @InesF ) to explain this to us! ;)

Ironically it was easier on the Kanwrite. But the Lamy was a pain. That's why I don't line pink inks :)

Good quotes. 

Thanks! 

That Diamine Hope Pink reminds me of the color of Baskin Robbins Bubblegum ice cream (from the '80s).  I doubt the ice cream was actually that color, but for some reason, the swatch reminds me of it.  (I took one bite of the ice cream and nearly puked.  The rest went straight into the trash. :( )

Yuck. Just the idea of it, is nauseous :( 

Ruby-eyed kitty?  Hmm. I'm imagining lasers shooting from those eyes. :D

;)

Oh my!  Poor water-test kitty.  Talk about "washed away"!

Professor @InesF would be furious. There was a huge umbrella but the storm was relentless :) 

Very nice ballerina drawing.  I'm thinking that's Mousetor Borge at the piano. ;)   The ballerina will soon be very frustrated, but the audience will be rolling in the aisles. :D

You never know, the ballerina might join in and do Kitty Kat stuff :D 

Poor Kitteh pulls a disappearing act!

Yes, this is, well, not so much pink as what I call fuschia.  Not one of my beloved colors, alas, and the chroma is Eeek! 

I have the J Herbin Rouge Opera, use it sometimes.  I don't  think it's wet...JH tends toward dryness.

@yazeh, those are great quotes!  And a very pretty drawing.  I see that Kitteh is not an opera fan.  🙀 🎶

Thanks once again for another great ink diary and saving me from Star Ruby!  

@LizEF, I remember that Bubblegum ice cream.  Was never brave enough to try.  Or maybe I got a sampler spoon and had much the same reaction...

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

As you deserve, Take a Bow 👏

🙏 :blush:

Hammermill 2016, Is this copy paper, and used to show?

Z.

Nope, it's my handwriting, read :20lb 

34 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Poor Kitteh pulls a disappearing act!

🙀 :) 

Yes, this is, well, not so much pink as what I call fuschia.  Not one of my beloved colors, alas, and the chroma is Eeek! 

Indeed. Lovely in flower, or maybe scarves but for inks, no thank you! 

I have the J Herbin Rouge Opera, use it sometimes.  I don't  think it's wet...JH tends toward dryness.

I believe it was wettish. I use my sample for drawing from time to time ;) 

@yazeh, those are great quotes!  

Thanks!

And a very pretty drawing.  I see that Kitteh is not an opera fan.  🙀 🎶

KItteh, used to love opera, and even dabbled in it briefly, but then life happened  😸

Thanks once again for another great ink diary and saving me from Star Ruby!  

A pleasure!

@LizEF I just realized that Star Ruby, behaved slightly better on copy paper than Iroful. Surpringly it bled through with UEF/Ef/F and really badly with the flex nib. Intriguing paper  :)

1 hour ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

@LizEF, I remember that Bubblegum ice cream.  Was never brave enough to try.  Or maybe I got a sampler spoon and had much the same reaction...

:thumbup: Wise choice - stuff was nasty!

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

@LizEF I just realized that Star Ruby, behaved slightly better on copy paper than Iroful. Surpringly it bled through with UEF/Ef/F and really badly with the flex nib. Intriguing paper  :)

Interesting.  I'm never surprised when a flex nib bleeds through.  Iroful isn't the thickest paper (75gsm, I think... yep), so maybe that's part of it.

4 minutes ago, LizEF said:

Interesting.  I'm never surprised when a flex nib bleeds through.  Iroful isn't the thickest paper (75gsm, I think... yep), so maybe that's part of it.

What was surprising was the Ef/F bleeding. It seems that the finer the nib, the risk of bleed through is higher, and add to that a flex nib good night and good luck :D Funnily enough Tomoe River 68 gr is much better behaved :)

28 minutes ago, yazeh said:

What was surprising was the Ef/F bleeding. It seems that the finer the nib, the risk of bleed through is higher, and add to that a flex nib good night and good luck :D Funnily enough Tomoe River 68 gr is much better behaved :)

Those fine nibs can be sharp, cutting the surface of the paper and giving the ink a way into the paper.  I'd guess the surface of Iroful is more susceptible to that.

Thank you, @yazeh, for the ink review, for finding such emotional quotes and for your highly entertaining artwork! :thumbup: Star Kitty Ballerina looks amazing! I can almost hear the piano music! :) 

Btw.: was the water test or the dance performance first?

11 hours ago, yazeh said:

Professor @InesF would be furious. There was a huge umbrella but the storm was relentless :) 

Seems, you know me well! "Poor Star Kitty" was indeed my first thought. :)  But I see the improvement: cat and mouse share the adventure, the risk and the excitement at equal parts! I have calmed down in satisfaction! ;) :lol:

Many people love P.E. Star Ruby. I find it OK, but not exciting. I use it rarely and only with some carefully selected pens. Surprisingly, it looks not that bad on the Hammermill paper - may it be because it doesn't look like it should? :rolleyes:

Why some inks cling and others not is, unfortunately, the outcome of multiple influence parameters. None of the four analysed parameters does provide a good explanation. I can only guess (that's what Professors are known for :) ) that the dye (or one of the dyes) is slightly lipophilic and develops some adhesion to the lipophilic parts of the pen (or converter). You can observe that from some blurple and purple inks as well, when they left pink traces in the pen. The affinity of the dye is independent from the capillary flow behaviour on paper, as usually other ink components are responsible for that.

(end of guess)

Looking forward to your next review (where mouse should be the volunteer for the water test)! :) 😇

One life!

1 hour ago, InesF said:

Thank you, @yazeh, for the ink review, for finding such emotional quotes and for your highly entertaining artwork! :thumbup: Star Kitty Ballerina looks amazing! I can almost hear the piano music! :) 

🙏 :blush:

1 hour ago, InesF said:

Btw.: was the water test or the dance performance first?

Water test :)

1 hour ago, InesF said:

Seems, you know me well! "Poor Star Kitty" was indeed my first thought. :)  But I see the improvement: cat and mouse share the adventure, the risk and the excitement at equal parts! I have calmed down in satisfaction! ;) :lol:

:) 

1 hour ago, InesF said:

Many people love P.E. Star Ruby. I find it OK, but not exciting. I use it rarely and only with some carefully selected pens. Surprisingly, it looks not that bad on the Hammermill paper - may it be because it doesn't look like it should? :rolleyes:

Maybe. I find it lacks nuance. Something difficult to explain :)

1 hour ago, InesF said:

Why some inks cling and others not is, unfortunately, the outcome of multiple influence parameters. None of the four analysed parameters does provide a good explanation. I can only guess (that's what Professors are known for :) ) that the dye (or one of the dyes) is slightly lipophilic and develops some adhesion to the lipophilic parts of the pen (or converter). You can observe that from some blurple and purple inks as well, when they left pink traces in the pen. The affinity of the dye is independent from the capillary flow behaviour on paper, as usually other ink components are responsible for that.

(end of guess)

That makes sense, another mystery solved, I guess :D  

1 hour ago, InesF said:

Looking forward to your next review (where mouse should be the volunteer for the water test)! :) 😇

Thank you. I try to alternate them :)

5 hours ago, LizEF said:

Those fine nibs can be sharp, cutting the surface of the paper and giving the ink a way into the paper.  I'd guess the surface of Iroful is more susceptible to that.

Makes sense :)

Another fantastic review, thank you :) 

Really can't do that much with this color, but like you said there's nothing to complain about the ink itself... it flows nicely, behaves well, and doesn't crust like some other reds. I remember trying some various mixes with poor results, so now I leave it alone.

9 hours ago, yazeh said:

🙏 :blush:

Nope, it's my handwriting, read :20lb 

Ok I get it. From what I researched, that is copy paper, yes? You use it because it a specially good brand for FP?

Z.

2 hours ago, Lithium466 said:

Another fantastic review, thank you :)

:) 

2 hours ago, Lithium466 said:

Really can't do that much with this color, but like you said there's nothing to complain about the ink itself... it flows nicely, behaves well, and doesn't crust like some other reds. I remember trying some various mixes with poor results, so now I leave it alone.

:D I assume one can add a bit of blue, I haven't tried it yet :)

Ok I get it. From what I researched, that is copy paper, yes? You use it because it a specially good brand for FP?

Z.

Nope it isn't. I check "bad" behaviour for regular copy paper, for those who have access to only this type of paper because of work. I remember once I went to a medical facility and I filled the form on a paper, which was thinner than toilet paper :D Some of these ink behave quite well, on cheap shopping list notebooks.