Victorian Waterman pen owned by playwright George Grossmith (A pen mystery...)

United_Common_1858

Exec Summary for those just joining

• I bought a pen from Peter Twydle, a 9ct gold Waterman with a 14ct medium nib with an autograph from George Grossmith (actor / playwright).  Which I am over the moon with.  This thread is not accuse Peter.  I think he did the best job possible and charged fairly.  I love the pen.  This is now just historical curiosity. 
  • I shared the pen here and on a sub-reddit which led to questioning of the date provenance
    • Grossmith died 1912
    • Waterman screw tops were not yet invented
    • Waterman numbering system (54) was introduced in 1917
    • The pen has two different gold hallmarks dating the barrel to 1923 and the cap to 1924 (London)
    • Grossmith had a son (Grossmith Jnr) who was also an actor / playwright and died in 1935
    • Higher resolution photos in the thread below
    • The mystery continues...

My original post in quotes below.

Hey all,
I am new here and found this forum via the Fountain Pen sub-reddit where I post under the same name.  I had a little story I thought the network might enjoy and then hopefully someone might help me learn about the pen in the photos. 

In May of this year a friend gifted me a 1950s Burnham fountain pen.  I had been using modern FP's for a little while and it was a nice gift.  Unfortunately the ink sac had crumbled and so I turned to the FP sub-reddit for a little help.  Despite some clues they could not identify the model so I sent the pen to the UK pen repairer Peter Twydle with this letter (attached).  
Whilst on his site I happened to notice he had a 9ct gold Watermans that was autographed / inscribed by George Grossmith, the Victorian playwright and actor who collaborated with Gilbert and Sullivan. 
This seemed like providence since I have my first published play on stage in London in a few weeks at the Etcetera Theatre in Camden.  So I bought it; I had to, being a sucker for chance events. 
However, I don't know anything about Watermans pens at all and have posted some photos.  I was hoping others might be able to tell me more about it.  

spacer.png

spacer.png 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by United_Common_1858
updating details

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• United_Common_1858

• davisgt

• Bo Bo Olson

• Format

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First, that's a great pen with an interesting story. 

Second, if you look at the end of the pen, you should see some numbers.  For example, 0552 1/2 V. Each of those numbers give you a clue to the pen. 

Third, the Canada nibs can run the gamut from rigid to flexible.  From the pictures,  it looks to me like the nib might be a cursive italic, but the picture is a bit blurry. 

Also, sacs are easy for a pen repairer to fix. They need to be replaced every few years. 

To help others along

George Grossmith lived 1847-1912, his son was 

George Grossmith Junior 1874-1935, an actor, producer, songwriter and other talents.

My first thought is that the pen was owned by the son as opposed to the father because Waterman only started production of a lever filled pen in 1913 but then Peter is unlikely to make an unsubstantiated claim.

The more I look at the nib, it might actually be an Oblique. You'd need to look at the nib with a loupe to verify.  

4 hours ago, Format said:

My first thought is that the pen was owned by the son as opposed to the father because Waterman only started production of a lever filled pen in 1913 but then Peter is unlikely to make an unsubstantiated claim.

This was the original description.  I  figured that Peter would be well-known on the forum and that his description would likely be accurate. 

This is a 9ct gold overlay Waterman lever-fill fountain pen with a Waterman Canadian 14ct gold medium nib. What makes this pen unique is that it has an autographed barrel engraving of its previous owner George Grossmith

5 hours ago, davisgt said:

First, that's a great pen with an interesting story. 

Second, if you look at the end of the pen, you should see some numbers.  For example, 0552 1/2 V. Each of those numbers give you a clue to the pen. 

The markings I can see on the pen are

Next to the lever 

• FDW
  • 6 [In a diamond]
  • A castle arch or a small gothic h
  • A mask / wolf, cat or dog's head

On the lever

• IDEAL

On the pen cap

• An arrow point to the top of the cap

On the cap side

• FDW
  • A gothic i
  • Unintelligible other engraving

On the cap top

• Keyhole or an arrow with minute writing inside

On the tail end

High resolution photos taken with a Samsung Ultra smartphone belong. 

https://vintagepens.com/FAQhistory/waterman_numbering.shtml

David Nishimura has an extensive summary of the Waterman numbering system on Vintage Pens. I included the link above.  

The 5 tells you that the pen is a lever-filler and the 4 tells you the nib size. There should be a corresponding 4 on the nib, although it might be hiding under the sleeve. 

Fine pen, I have one a few later than yours from a live auction. A Gothic.(1918-30's)

I wanted the ink well also. The silver dip pen polished up nicely also.

The ink cleaned off the nib with no trouble. It too needed a new sac.KlgjvAy.jpg

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

The FDW stands for Frank D Waterman.  He's the nephew of the founder. 

That's actually a 9 rather than a 6. It stands for 9 carat. The 375 is the percentage of gold out of 24 carat. 9/24. 

Thank you, Davisgt for the link...would have simplified my search.

I was totally ignorant, outside knowing it was an old Waterman, like my two 52's...it was later I got help for Wateman fans. I wanted that inkwell. So I was getting a two for one...

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I have got a little further...the gothic H looks like the hallmark for 1923 but...the cap has a different hallmark; it looks like an ' i ' which doesn't appear in the register.  

Gold Hallmark Identification Wizard.png

• Most likely date for the pen barrel is 1923 based on the symbols.
  • The cap has hallmark dates for 1924.
  •  

Unless the pen was manufactured 20 years prior which is not possible with the pen clip, screw cap and Waterman numbering.

Hallmark Dates.png

Hallmark Dates 2.png