EFNIR: Noodler's Polar Purple

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Noodler's Polar Purple

This is review #301 in my series. Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: I have nothing remotely like this color.  It's sort of chalky, sort of a pastel purple, but also a little muted in color...  Hard to describe.  It's very close to the color of the purple lines on lined Rhodia pads.  It's growing on me despite writing a fat line on some papers (it writes very fine on Iroful). The cameras and scanner didn't like the color, most images look like the ink needs some white added to match what my eyes see.  Same for the video.

Cleaning was a bit of a pain - a pink film will want to cling to everything. Pen flush had no impact, rubbing required.  The ink dries a little faster than usual on the nib, but not enough to impede normal writing. If you're doing short writing and long-ish pauses, this probably isn't the best ink.

Per Noodler's, it's bulletproof, eternal, freeze resistant, and lubricated.

No, I did not attempt to write with it in the freezer - I won't fit in there anyway. :D

And, I'd like to welcome @yazeh and @arcfide to the Wizardlands! And congratulate them on being successful small-business owners. :D

Zoomed in photo (The ink doesn't look blotchy in person. Hard to get the color right.)
large.NoodlersPolarPurpleZ.jpg.a4e072d15cb6e5a801c48dfbe8f030b4.jpg

Screenshot (Text is a little too dark.)
large.NoodlersPolarPurple.jpg.d4ad21590f2adbab4c12ecd1cc89a834.jpg

Scan of Completed Review (On one monitor, it's a little too blue.  On another, it's far too red.  Still, it's fairly close to what my eyes see.)
large.NoodlersPolarPurpleS.jpg.d772a9c6c36ed6ee0f2af81725f7f1d3.jpg

Absorbent Paper Close-up (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper) (Same problem as the zoom photo, but the copy paper color looks pretty close.)
large.NoodlersPolarPurpleAP.jpg.611f6356ca5a47d156802ec681105b77.jpg

Line width (The "I" in "Ink:". Magnification is 100x. The grid is 100x100µm. The scale is 390µm, with thirteen divisions of 30µm each. The line width for this ink is roughly 368µm. With 301 inks measured, the average line width is 297µm.) (Blank areas in the image looked blurry under the microscope. Strange ink.)
large.NoodlersPolarPurpleLW.jpg.b5763d1c358b2c285f7e008f714780de.jpg

Microscope image (100x. Pink and blurple clouds... :D)
large.NoodlersPolarPurpleSmear.jpg.58fcb61f28b22c6ec6246fe4bf4386ee.jpg

Water Test Results (Same as the zoom, and too red on one monitor, to unsaturated on the other.)
large.NoodlersPolarPurpleWT.jpg.1014b9e85d3cc7237c6d514980adc55b.jpg

Previous Review: Diamine Pumpkin.

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap.

Want to influence the inky sequence? Take the "next ink" poll.

View a list of my inks, complete with review results in a google sheet.

Need to catch up on The Adventures of Quin and Makhabesh? Find the whole story here.

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• yazeh

• InesF

• Sailor Kenshin

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow what a fun review. 👍I was so  honored when Mak & Snek visited my store. I offered Essri a pen and ink, but my Snek accent was too strong and he mith-under-thood. So, I'm plannig a cheeseburger & popsicle party as a peace offering 😁

I wonder if there will be @InesF art gallery or @Sailor Kenshin school for unruly Sneks 😂

As for the ink, I like the muted purple though I prefer Tchaikovsky more. I believe all Polar inks are suitable.for Ef nibs only. The wider the nibs the more uncontrolable the ink.

Thank you for such a fun review @LizEF and that must be very small freezer :lticaptd:

3 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Wow what a fun review. 👍

:D Thanks!

4 minutes ago, yazeh said:

I was so  honored when Mak & Snek visited my store. I offered Essri a pen and ink, but my Snek accent was too strong and he mith-under-thood. So, I'm plannig a cheeseburger & popsicle party as a peace offering 😁

:lol:

4 minutes ago, yazeh said:

I wonder if there will be @InesF art gallery or @Sailor Kenshin school for unruly Sneks 😂

Hmm.  I hadn't connected Professor Eeenes with an art gallery.  My brain will ponder that.  The Professor is still an undefined character.  And I'm pretty sure a sailor could teach a snek how to be unruly, not so sure one would be good for teaching an unruly snek how to behave, though... ;)   But perhaps we'll make it back to the ocean one day and bump into a sailor...

7 minutes ago, yazeh said:

As for the ink, I like the muted purple though I prefer Tchaikovsky more. I believe all Polar inks are suitable.for Ef nibs only. The wider the nibs the more uncontrolable the ink.

It does write a very wide line.  I'm wondering if it's good behavior on Iroful was the paper or if the ink was clogging a bit in the nib... :unsure:

8 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Thank you for such a fun review @LizEF 

:) You're most welcome!

8 minutes ago, yazeh said:

and that must be very small freezer :lticaptd:

:lol: It's one of those at the top of the fridge - even if I cleared everything out and got a step stool to climb in, I wouldn't fit, let alone be able to write!

Aaaahhh!  An underwater colorful coral sea!  Wonder if Sneks can swim?

I do have your 'bracket' comparison inks...The Pelikan, and Bilberry.  Don't use them much.  You know how I feel about purple anyway.  And alas, this one's not for moi.

The closeup made me think this was a shimmer, but it's not.  I would like it even less that way.  And chalky?  Hold me back while I teach Essri to sing rather naughty sea chanteys.  (I guess that's about learning!)

Love the magical street, and shops.  Congrats on the biz, @yazeh.  And as always, @LizEF, thanks for the magic of Tuesdays.  

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

6 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Aaaahhh!  An underwater colorful coral sea!  Wonder if Sneks can swim?

:)  Of course sneks can swim!  (Though I suspect Makhabesh would not be a fan.)

7 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

I do have your 'bracket' comparison inks...The Pelikan, and Bilberry.  Don't use them much.  You know how I feel about purple anyway.  And alas, this one's not for moi.

Happy to confirm your preferences! :D

8 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

The closeup made me think this was a shimmer, but it's not.

Nope, that's the paper showing through, as far as I can tell.

8 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

I would like it even less that way.  And chalky?  Hold me back while I teach Essri to sing rather naughty sea chanteys.  (I guess that's about learning!)

:lticaptd:

9 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Love the magical street, and shops.

:)  Thanks!

10 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

And as always, @LizEF, thanks for the magic of Tuesdays.  

You're most welcome!

3 hours ago, LizEF said:

Hmm.  I hadn't connected Professor Eeenes with an art gallery.  My brain will ponder that. 

Well professor @InesFhas many talents. Art Gallery, Scribe and Grand Scientific Sorceress  :D 

3 hours ago, LizEF said:

The Professor is still an undefined character.  And I'm pretty sure a sailor could teach a snek how to be unruly, not so sure one would be good for teaching an unruly snek how to behave, though... ;)  

I thought unruly was Makhabesh ;) @Sailor Kenshin thanks! Naughty sea shanties, Aye!

There was a Snek and Sphinx and Sailor  (Thnek, Thpinx and Thailor)......

3 hours ago, LizEF said:

But perhaps we'll make it back to the ocean one day and bump into a sailor...

Why not, everything is possible in three years or so :D 

3 hours ago, LizEF said:

It does write a very wide line.  I'm wondering if it's good behavior on Iroful was the paper or if the ink was clogging a bit in the nib... :unsure:

It could be Iroful paper. It's interesting your line measurement is one of the narrowest or am I mistaen? 🤔

36 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Well professor @InesFhas many talents. Art Gallery, Scribe and Grand Scientific Sorceress  :D 

:thumbup::thumbup:

37 minutes ago, yazeh said:

I thought unruly was Makhabesh ;) @Sailor Kenshin thanks! Naughty sea shanties, Aye!

There was a Snek and Sphinx and Sailor  (Thnek, Thpinx and Thailor)......

:lticaptd: "There once was a snek that put to sea..." 🐍

41 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Why not, everything is possible in three years or so :D 

:yikes::crybaby::lol:

42 minutes ago, yazeh said:

It could be Iroful paper. It's interesting your line measurement is one of the narrowest or am I mistaen? 🤔

Nope, the line measurement from the review page is 368µm - well above the 297µm average, and one of the widest (the very widest is Baystate Blue at 400µm).

35 minutes ago, LizEF said:

Nope, the line measurement from the review page is 368µm - well above the 297µm average, and one of the widest (the very widest is Baystate Blue at 400µm).

Oh, I misread.  Wow 368 µm is quite wide :) 

Now, I'm having sea shanties slithering in my mind 🎶

30 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Now, I'm having sea shanties slithering in my mind 🎶

:lol:

Good morning Wednesday :lol:, what a surprise you, @LizEF, have for us all!

Thank you for this ink review and for the entertaining intro and story part! What a pleasure!

The ink colour is indeed interesting. I'm not sure if I'm willing to fill one of my writing pens with an eternally bullet-freeze-proof ink, but maybe something to remember for the outdoor drawing sessions during winter time. :rolleyes:

I love the microscopic pink cloudy sky and I have a quite serious opinion about the Leonardo da Vinci quote: yes, indeed! 🤷‍♀️

Looking forward to next Wednesday, making Yoga and breathing exercises to somehow survive the waiting time! :) :lol:

One life!

17 hours ago, yazeh said:

:lol: Making "art" with alchemists tools and ingredients! ;) :) 

17 hours ago, yazeh said:

Thank you for such a fun review @LizEF and that must be very small freezer :lticaptd:

Please, don't trigger strange creative pen designs! My imagination draws a Montegr... (Italian) fountain pen with integrated cooling unit for the ink tank ... with the power bank in the desk stand. 🤫 🤭

14 hours ago, yazeh said:

🙏🙏 

Probably the alchemist part is Professor Eeeness's only one with a footing. :rolleyes: :D

One life!

18 hours ago, LizEF said:

Hmm.  I hadn't connected Professor Eeenes with an art gallery.  My brain will ponder that.  The Professor is still an undefined character. [...]

Do you know the "Periodic Table of Videos" videos? There is also a "The Professor" the main character. All videos are educational but some are also highly entertaining!

Whatever your plans are so far. @LizEF, I'm sure Professor Eeeness has not arrived at Wizardland yet. I guess she will travel from overseas and made friend with one of the sailors. The whole expedition can have only one goal: to visit these famous shops in search for exotic ingredients ... :rolleyes:

One life!

> the whole expedition can have only one goal: to visit these famous shops in search for exotic ingredients ... 

Ah, like real gall apples from Aleppo?

Quote: British galls have too little tannic acid (about 17%) for the best results; Aleppo galls have three times as much.

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andricus_kollari

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

5 hours ago, InesF said:

Good morning Wednesday :lol:, what a surprise you, @LizEF, have for us all!

:D

5 hours ago, InesF said:

Thank you for this ink review and for the entertaining intro and story part! What a pleasure!

You're most welcome. :)

6 hours ago, InesF said:

The ink colour is indeed interesting. I'm not sure if I'm willing to fill one of my writing pens with an eternally bullet-freeze-proof ink, but maybe something to remember for the outdoor drawing sessions during winter time. :rolleyes:

:D It wasn't so bad, except the pink film, but even that did come off...

6 hours ago, InesF said:

I love the microscopic pink cloudy sky and I have a quite serious opinion about the Leonardo da Vinci quote: yes, indeed! 🤷‍♀️

:) and really?  Who would have imagined? ;)

6 hours ago, InesF said:

Looking forward to next Wednesday, making Yoga and breathing exercises to somehow survive the waiting time! :) :lol:

:lol:  Thank you!

6 hours ago, InesF said:

Please, don't trigger strange creative pen designs! My imagination draws a Montegr... (Italian) fountain pen with integrated cooling unit for the ink tank ... with the power bank in the desk stand. 🤫 🤭

5 hours ago, InesF said:

Do you know the "Periodic Table of Videos" videos? There is also a "The Professor" the main character. All videos are educational but some are also highly entertaining!

No.  Is the channel called "Periodic Videos"?  And is "The Professor" a dude with grey hair in a style that might best be described as "did he stick his finger in an electrical outlet?" :D   If so, I have found the channel....  If not, please help me keep looking.

5 hours ago, InesF said:

Whatever your plans are so far. @LizEF, I'm sure Professor Eeeness has not arrived at Wizardland yet. I guess she will travel from overseas and made friend with one of the sailors. The whole expedition can have only one goal: to visit these famous shops in search for exotic ingredients ... :rolleyes:

:D I like it!  I had imagined Professor Eeeness working in some part of Inkabar University (first mentioned in next week's episode) - it's a very large university with many colleges.  I'm not sure where it is, other than in a city called Inkabar.  I had also imagined that something eventually would cause Quin, et al, to go there seeking help.  But having them meet the Professor by chance while in Ferovere offers some interesting possibilities.  The back of my brain is now churning.  (And the fact that I'm entering the final stretch of Robin Hobb's liveship trilogy and you've mentioned a sailor, just might mean that we'll need some sea serpents - not liveships, though - that would be too much.)

But now you have me wondering about "overseas".  At the moment, I'm only aware of the one, rather large, continent, and on it, magic is mostly limited to the Wizardlands...  Now I'll have to ponder other continents...  Perhaps the Professor is an ex-pat, returning to the Wizardlands after a few years of exploration...  Perhaps she has some interesting stuff to sell to those shops....  This may take a while... :D

12 hours ago, InesF said:

:lol: Making "art" with alchemists tools and ingredients! ;) :) 

Why not? You do it all the time :thumb:

🙏🙏 

Probably the alchemist part is Professor Eeeness's only one with a footing. :rolleyes: :D

Don't be so modest, professor :) 

15 hours ago, LizEF said:

:D I like it!  I had imagined Professor Eeeness working in some part of Inkabar University (first mentioned in next week's episode) - it's a very large university with many colleges.  I'm not sure where it is, other than in a city called Inkabar.  I had also imagined that something eventually would cause Quin, et al, to go there seeking help.  But having them meet the Professor by chance while in Ferovere offers some interesting possibilities.  The back of my brain is now churning.  (And the fact that I'm entering the final stretch of Robin Hobb's liveship trilogy and you've mentioned a sailor, just might mean that we'll need some sea serpents - not liveships, though - that would be too much.)

But now you have me wondering about "overseas".  At the moment, I'm only aware of the one, rather large, continent, and on it, magic is mostly limited to the Wizardlands...  Now I'll have to ponder other continents...  Perhaps the Professor is an ex-pat, returning to the Wizardlands after a few years of exploration...  Perhaps she has some interesting stuff to sell to those shops....  This may take a while... :D

Oh yes - great creativity is on the way! :) ... and a nail-biting waiting time! ;) 

And yes, it is this Channel👍  I initially watched it for the introduction of chemical elements - ther's a lot to learn for the own teaching. But soon afterwards I have watched all videos of the channel, it's so entertaining. I can especially recommend the barking dog and the videos about the alkali elements (1st main group in the Periodic Table).

One life!

7 hours ago, InesF said:

Oh yes - great creativity is on the way! :) ... and a nail-biting waiting time! ;) 

And yes, it is this Channel👍  I initially watched it for the introduction of chemical elements - ther's a lot to learn for the own teaching. But soon afterwards I have watched all videos of the channel, it's so entertaining. I can especially recommend the barking dog and the videos about the alkali elements (1st main group in the Periodic Table).

:) Thanks!  Perhaps I'll try some videos after I'm done with the trilogy (only 500 and some odd pages to go :D ) and have then caught up with whatever I should have been doing instead of reading....